Main Menu

Discovered / rediscovered music thread

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 April, 2009, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: uncle fester on 06 January, 2010, 02:45:21 AM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 12 September, 2009, 09:44:49 PM
Notable titles include Love/Hate's near masterpiece, 'Black Out In The Red Room'

It's like 1987 all over again!

Cheers for this dweezil! The first thing that came up on a google search is a page of all their stuff for download. Good stuff, and I can see where the Guns N Roses comparisons come in.

I bloody love Love/Hate!

I want 'Don't Fuck With Me' played at my funeral.

James Stacey

Love / Hate tour the UK pretty much every year. Skid is back touring with them now too. If you like Love/Hate, I can reccomend Jizzy Pearls first solo album 'Like a Boy' it's awesome. The second one 'Vegas Must Die' is good but not as great.

Lady Festina

Richmond Clements

Quote from: James S on 06 January, 2010, 11:57:56 AM
Love / Hate tour the UK pretty much every year. Skid is back touring with them now too. If you like Love/Hate, I can reccomend Jizzy Pearls first solo album 'Like a Boy' it's awesome. The second one 'Vegas Must Die' is good but not as great.

Cheers, James- I shall check that out.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

One of my favorite covers, Kate Bush - Rocket Man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g8v2RNLHr0

I too have been listening to a bit of Husker Du and Pixies also.

Lady Festina

Quote from: Gavin_Leahy on 06 January, 2010, 12:15:24 PM
One of my favorite covers, Kate Bush - Rocket Man.

And linking from the Kate Bush version, is the following:

Yes, William Shatner's version of Rocket Man..... Stick with it, it builds up to something quite terrifyingly brilliant (um, maybe):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN3MGN899yE&feature=related

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Lady Festina on 06 January, 2010, 10:57:51 AM
Feed my addiction!!! Any great covers out there I should know about??

The Atrocity cover of "Sun Always Shines" is splendid.

Rammstein: Das Modell (Kraftwerk)
Manuskript: The Sun Always Shines on TV (A-ha, but you knew that)
Sisters of Mercy: Jolene (Dolly Parton)
The Merry Thoughts: Will You (Hazel O'Connor)
Rosetta Stone: Temptation (Heaven 17)
ORGY: You Spin Me Round (Dead or Alive)

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Lady Festina

Ooh, the Sisters of Mercy doing Jolene sounds like FUN! (I have the White Stripes' version which is very special indeed.)

I sense my afternoon's work slipping away.....

Dandontdare

Quote from: Lady Festina on 06 January, 2010, 10:57:51 AM
Feed my addiction!!! Any great covers out there I should know about??

The Tori Amos album "strange little girl" is all covers, including Boomtown Rats' "Don't like Mondays" and 10cc's "I'm not in love" amongst others.

Also, there's a 2-disc album called simply "Uncovered" that has some gems, such as "Ghost Town"by the Prodigy and "Our freinds electric" by Groove Armada.

(and I always quite liked Olivia Newton John's version of Jolene, but I was very young at the time!)

Noisybast

Finally got the Temple of the Dog album for xmas, and was surprised to find that I knew most of the songs on it very well already. I don't remember ever owning the album, or even listening to it. Has Chris Cornell done a version of Call Me A Dog with one of his other bands, or is it familiarity by osmosis?
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

James Stacey

Quote from: Noisybast on 06 January, 2010, 01:07:30 PM
Finally got the Temple of the Dog album for xmas, and was surprised to find that I knew most of the songs on it very well already. I don't remember ever owning the album, or even listening to it. Has Chris Cornell done a version of Call Me A Dog with one of his other bands, or is it familiarity by osmosis?
Soundgarden and Pearl Jam have played most of the songs live between them I think. I always prefered the Mother Love Bone stuff.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: James S on 06 January, 2010, 01:13:12 PM
Quote from: Noisybast on 06 January, 2010, 01:07:30 PM
Soundgarden and Pearl Jam have played most of the songs live between them I think. I always prefered the Mother Love Bone stuff.

Yup- Cornell did Hunger Strike when we saw him on his last tour.
Mother LOve Bone has, for me anyway, dated a lot more than the Temple stuff.

James Stacey

Quote from: Lady Festina on 06 January, 2010, 12:54:25 PM
Ooh, the Sisters of Mercy doing Jolene sounds like FUN! (I have the White Stripes' version which is very special indeed.)

I sense my afternoon's work slipping away.....
Going back the other way Creaming Jesus' cover of Temple of Love entitled 'Temple of Shite' is pretty good fun.
Sisters have covered some crazy stuff mind ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ImchDvFU6Q

Zarjazzer

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Colin YNWA

A great great Sonic Youth cover is their version of the Carpenters 'Superstar' soooo haunting.

A great covers album is Jeffrey Lewis' Crass album. Genius stuff.