Main Menu

100 Greatest Games Of All Time

Started by Goaty, 29 May, 2009, 07:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

for you all, game geeks, here 100 list of Greatest Game Of All Time from Empireonline.com

start at 100,

//http://www.empireonline.com/100greatestgames/default.asp?p=100

uncle fester

Err... that top 20 is seriously flawed... in my world anyway... Those FF games are pure guff especially the "famous" fighting system

"Ok, I'm a smurf, that's interesting... Right...I want to smite that guy"
"You have to wait your turn"
"I have to what?"
"He smites you, then it's your turn"
"...Whaddaya mean, my turn?"
"Right, he's done, you're up"

"...That was it?"
"Yep"
"Now what?"
"It's his turn again"
"Tell you what, where's Resident Evil?"

The Legendary Shark

Best game of all time for me was Doctors and Nurses with Samantha Eccleston behind the bikesheds at primary school...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Roger Godpleton

The greatest game ever is in fact Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. The most overrated game ever is in fact Bioshock.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

WoD

IndigoPrime

Given how bad these lists usually are and how they often forget that videogames existed prior to 1995, this isn't too bad an effort. Bit of a shame to see how many utterly iconic and still brilliant arcade games aren't included, though, such as Robotron.

Devons Daddy

QuoteBest game of all time for me was Doctors and Nurses with Samantha Eccleston behind the bikesheds at primary school

good morning legnedary shark! a coffee over the screen moment there. thankyou. perfect way to being the day.  :lol:
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Devons Daddy

as with all lists, they are personal,
but i would agree with many of the included, i am not an RPG lover, but the inclusions here are valid,
the shooters, all correct, COD4 and MSG, DOOM ,HL2 cant disagree with them. golden eye,given its realease date.

whilst i may have given a higher mark to sum. and lower to others, pretty tight i would say.
they dont seem to have offered much sports titles i felt. should have been one or two in top ten.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Martin Jameson

Not a bad list and certainly better than this http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=3700 in my opinion which seems to be mostly Mario and Zelda, although no top 10 yet.

No Fallout 3 on that list?

Buddy

No Jet Pack, no Manic Miner/Jet Set Willie, no Knight Lore, no Lords Of Midnight.

These games kept me awake all night at times, something not one of the games on that list has ever done. (except maybe Elite).

Kids these days, eh!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "Uncle Umpty"No Jet Pack, no Manic Miner/Jet Set Willie, no Knight Lore, no Lords Of Midnight.
Try going back now and seeing which of those are still good. Writing for Retro Gamer, I get something of a new perspective on old games, and, frankly, most of them don't hold up terribly well. Jet Set Willy, for example, is an utterly hateful platform game, with few redeeming features. Lords of Midnight, on the other hand, is still a surprisingly immersive game, despite the basic presentation. (One might argue Dungeon Master's inclusion kind of filled the 'retro RPG' slot, though.)

LIke I said, though, it is a shame to see so few representations from the classic arcade era. In this case, there were some mid-1980s–1990s games (Gauntlet, a sprinkling of Amiga titles), and lip service paid to classic home computing via the likes of Elite, but omitting the likes of Robotron and Pac-Man is just crazy. (From my standpoint, Missile Command and Defender should absolutely make any top-100 list.)

Martin Jameson

And just remembered R-Type. Surely worth a place?

Keef Monkey

Not a bad list, but obviously I disagree with a lot of it, which is inevitable. Mainly I hate that any Greatest Games Ever list can sometimes have a very Nintendo-biased top ten. Granted, Nintendo have a lot of classics under their belt, but it just seems like you can tell when they person compiling the list is a bit Mario/Zelda-mad. Also, COD4 in the top ten? I enjoyed it and everything, but given what else is out there I doubt I'd let it near my top 50.

Peter Wolf

That list is in no way definitive as there is an obvious Nintendo bias and like was said above it omits the 80s arcade era .Its not objective.

Is there any reason why the list cant be read before you click on one of them to read about it ?You have to click on a number to find out what game it is which is stupid.

I dont see how or why i am expected to take this list seriously.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Buddy

Quote from: "IndigoPrime"
Quote from: "Uncle Umpty"No Jet Pack, no Manic Miner/Jet Set Willie, no Knight Lore, no Lords Of Midnight.
Try going back now and seeing which of those are still good. Writing for Retro Gamer, I get something of a new perspective on old games, and, frankly, most of them don't hold up terribly well. Jet Set Willy, for example, is an utterly hateful platform game, with few redeeming features. Lords of Midnight, on the other hand, is still a surprisingly immersive game, despite the basic presentation. (One might argue Dungeon Master's inclusion kind of filled the 'retro RPG' slot, though.)

LIke I said, though, it is a shame to see so few representations from the classic arcade era. In this case, there were some mid-1980s–1990s games (Gauntlet, a sprinkling of Amiga titles), and lip service paid to classic home computing via the likes of Elite, but omitting the likes of Robotron and Pac-Man is just crazy. (From my standpoint, Missile Command and Defender should absolutely make any top-100 list.)

Jet Pac... I never played a game as much as I played that, but Knight Lore has to be the number one game... the whole set up was brilliant... changing to wolf in moonlight (with different abilities I think) IN 3D!.. it was the first game I ever made a physical map of... drawn out on an a3 sheet of paper, just brilliant.

Also.. you are compleatly wrong about Jet Set Willy... a hateful platform game! The shame, I loved it.

But agreed on Robotron and pac man and defender and missile command... although I preferred Llamatron!

Also again... every Bitmap Brothers game has to be in any top 100.

And what about The Hobbit! What a fantastic game on the Spectrum... I finished it with 89%... left those dwarfs behind in the barrels, but killed the dragon!