Main Menu

Shakara - 'The Assassin'

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 July, 2010, 01:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Shakara as a character is clearly very one dimensional, he can't carry a strip for any great league of time and his dialogue is limited - though it never fails to amaze me how many likes Robbie Morrison can make the fella shouting 'SHAKARA' seem significent adn relevent - brillant stuff. He's meant to be and that's that. Therefore for Shakara to have survived 4 books and have me still hankering for more its clear that his world needed to be developed and the characters around him had to carry the story.

'The Assassin' does just that. Shakara the enigma is set up in book one and so in book 2 we start to learn more and more about what he's about, why he's there and who exactly he's killing and why. And boy oh boy does it do it well. Mr Morrison creates some great 'villans' to tell the tale. Ones that are not only fun to read about in and of themselves but each sets up problem for Shakara so that when he shows up and starts cutting the crap out of stuff its still interesting to see how he's going to cut the crap out of the particular stuff.

This strip is in many ways the perfect 2000ad strip. On the surface is a balls to the wall action strip with all the mindless violence given to Dredd strips by writers doing him wrong. Under that there is an intriguing world being created full of ugly distorted characters you just love to get to know and love to see beat up (see first point) and even under that is some nice satire (well by my reading I do somethimes over read these things!). Wonderful. Get it drawn by the genius that is Henry Flint and you got ya self some happy 2000ad readers.

Bloody love this

SHAKARA!