Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Enceladus setting behind Saturn - one of Cassini's final images.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I shall miss Cassini. APOD just won't be the same
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

We've had some great probes in my lifetime - the things we have seen! Only the gods have seen more.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 19 September, 2017, 08:53:52 AM
Possible hominin
footprints from the late Miocene (c. 5.7 Ma) of
Crete? (Proceedings of the Geologists'
Association,  31 August 2017.)

It's a really interesting one alright, but I think the jury is still out: this is the era of the great proliferation of ape species, with lots of possibility for unknown species using bipedal locomotion, and there are no known hominin fossils from the wider area at all.  It may be that we are looking at a previously unknown hominid (member of the great apes family, basically - an example able to walk on two legs would be orangutans), or even a 'lesser' ape (gibbons can get about on two legs), rather than an unknown hominin (the homo and australopithicene species, post the split with chimps).

Still awesome though!

The Legendary Shark

Trans-Time tourists, obviously!

But yeah, really interesting. I can't help but be reminded of those supposedly million year old hammers and other out of place/time Fortean archaeological things. Time is, after all, really deep and who knows what remains to be discovered?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

What? No scream to usher the souls to Sto'Vo'Kor? They are without honour.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Arsom!  Having only a manual-mount Russian reflector that my father-in-law found broken at a parish sale, subsequently repaired jury-rigged by my own graceless claws, working through the Messiers is my main stargazing pasttime, after gawping at Jupiter, Saturn and the Moon, and trying to snag the ISS (not easy).  So this page is a godsend, thanks Sharky!

Must say, the Ligo Neutron Star collision has completely monopolised my reading time this week. The deeper you dig into it, the more mind-blowing it becomes - for me I think it's become the most exciting astronomical event since Shoemaker-Levy 9, and that's really saying something. 

Although my kids are by now utterly sick at my attempts to frame and communicate each new penny that drops into my echoing skull.

The Legendary Shark

Space is really cool! Glad you enjoyed the link, Tordels. Must admit, I'm falling behind and know virtually nothing about that collision - I must have a shufti.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Watching neutron stars colliding - my favourite bit of this article is that the lead scientist has "a ringtone on his phone reserved for when black holes or neutron stars collide."

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]