Main Menu

Spines

Started by Fleetos, 12 October, 2011, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleetos

I've started getting some of the complete collections books.

A question to the droids who art directed them. Why did you not put the numbers in the same place on all the books???

On my shelf it would have look so much better to have had a consistant look. Instead of them bouncing up and down.

Am I alone here or do people agree or like it not the same on each book?

O Lucky Stevie!

That Rennie droid will be along any time now to answer this.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

The Adventurer

Spine Chat is the best chat. PEACE.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

COMMANDO FORCES

It's beyond the comprehension of mere mortals to understand the difficulty in making the spines match up  :crazy:

Fleetos

Quote from: The Adventurer on 12 October, 2011, 06:18:49 AM
Spine Chat is the best chat. PEACE.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

has this topic popped up before

Colin Zeal

Does anyone really care about this? I don't give a damn what the spines look like and find it hard to believe that people do. Yet this topic is often mentioned with people grumbling about it.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 12 October, 2011, 06:34:47 AM
It's beyond the comprehension of mere mortals to understand the difficulty in making the spines match up  :crazy:

It is indeed, nuts.

Having said that, I recently completed my run of Case Files, and on sticking them on my shelf I thought it might bug me that they are all so misaligned. But, do you know, it doesn't. In fact it annoys me more that the last two I had to get (12 and 13) are more-or-less matching. Somehow it doesn't look right to have that oasis of calm in the middle of a turbulent sea of crazy up and downiness.

What bugs me more is that they changed the spine design (badge in the 'u' of Dredd, reverse colours) with volume eleven- knowing, surely, that volume eleven would be the last of the fat ones before it all went thinny with twelve. Now, I know that doing the colours and design in batches of ten, and sticking with it over volumes 11-20, is a great idea... but ARGH! that sticky-outy volume eleven annoys. Could they not have done it in batches of eleven, making volume eleven purple or something, with the "old" spine design, then giving us 12-21 (the thin ones) as the "new" design?  The bouncy writing is NOTHING compared to that. NOTHING I tell you.

SBT

James Stacey

I love you guys. Don't listen to that Colin Zeal guy, he just doesn't understand :)

Colin Zeal

You're all very strange people.

SuperSurfer

Only got one case file so my shelf looks fine.

But I  can't resist looking at the spines when I am in FP as I am aware this has been mentioned before.

Seems to me that the designer has gone for a very nifty design (IMO) where the 'JUDGE DREDD' title spans the width of the spine and all the small text and number are jammed up under the helmet graphic. I do reckon that looks better than if all that info was spaced out and lower down the spine away from the title. Looks tighter and neater.

I reckon it's more important that each book looks good and how they look as a set is secondary – though others will argue that both could be achieved.

In fact I still think they look great as individual items and on shelves.

SuperSurfer

Don't see an edit button so two posts in a row. Now I think of it, the spines could never be exactly the same. The size of 'JUDGE DREDD' will always be taller or shorter on the shelf depending on the thickness of the volume. Only way to achieve complete consistency would be if they were all same thickness. Or if the title was miniscule based on the thinnest. Which would be yuk.

radiator

If the 2000ad graphics guys see this thread they're going to completely change the design of the Case Files books from 19 onwards just to mess with you.

SmallBlueThing

Bring it on! Personally, it matters not much- but the wrath of commando forces? That man has been known to abseil into the nerve centre, crash through the window, land on cyber-matt's desk and shoutily demand mugs and keyrings. Mess with his shelves you do not.

SBT

IndigoPrime

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 12 October, 2011, 01:01:54 PM
Don't see an edit button so two posts in a row. Now I think of it, the spines could never be exactly the same. The size of 'JUDGE DREDD' will always be taller or shorter on the shelf depending on the thickness of the volume. Only way to achieve complete consistency would be if they were all same thickness. Or if the title was miniscule based on the thinnest. Which would be yuk.
Quite. Still, it could be worse: Canongate's Complete Peanuts books had their logos in the key colour of the volume, but for the last four just went with bright red. BOO! Etc.

COMMANDO FORCES

The insane bollocks that are the spines is so easy to rectify that it makes my blood boil and I have to physically stop myself doing a full scale assault (by myself) on the bleeding got a nerve centre!

I would have done this. Dredd Case Files 1:- bring the helmet on the spine down to near the 2000 AD logo with the correct size gap left for the number to be placed in. This means that the front cover can still be the colour of the helmet and the bottom can still be black, this enables the number to still be the colour of the front and not change to WHITE on every one, as it does later. It doesn't matter how large the name is or how it looks, it's all down to the colouring on the shelf and uniformity.

I have just looked at my shelf and steam is escaping my head (I hope you know I've only just come out of theatre and this is not good for me). It's as though we have two different sets of case files for Dredd.

Firstly we have the black bottom spine ones, Jesus Christ make that three sets. JUST LOOK at number eleven, it's a bloody mixture of them both  :crazy:  Putting the badge in with the name is another thing that knocks it all out of kilter.

I remember when I was collecting the Babylon 5 videos and after series three they went from numbers to 4.1 I then wrote to the company telling them what I thought and stopped collecting them, bastards!

How difficult is it to make things look neat and tidy on the shelf. Look at the Horus Heresy novels they can manage it with different font sizes, it really is piss easy. I would ask Rebellion to sort it out but it's too late now, the damage is done and I will have to try and live with this for the rest of my life!

P.S I won't even mention the square bloody logo at the bottom of seventeen  :-X