Spines

Started by Fleetos, 12 October, 2011, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

I'm so confused, it's the spines that have done it plus the op  :-[

I think I got out of that one okay  ;)

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: King Trout on 12 October, 2011, 04:23:27 PM
I reckon that editions make a difference.

The discrepancy in height between 6 and 7 is significantly more in Radiator's pic than it is on the Case Files I can see on my shelf.

- Trout

Oh my wordy, yes! I've just looked at my versions of six and seven- and they are pretty much aligned. At least compared to the editions in the picture above. That adds a whole new layer of mentalness to this question! Surely it must be possible to get a set wherein they DO (more or less) align, then? Does this mean that I now have to sell all the ones I have, and carry around a little book of measurements- or worse, some kind of actual size template, with which to measure all copies I find in shops? :-/

SBT
Not mad, honest, Colin.

COMMANDO FORCES

I hope you mean 7 and 8 SBT, otherwise I will explode if there is a 6 out there that lines up with 7  :'(

SmallBlueThing

No, take a look at the pic i posted in that other thread- youll see that 6 and 7 align (not perfectly, by any means), but much better than in the picture radiator's picture.

SBT

SmallBlueThing

6, 7 and 8 are a pretty good match on my shelf...

SBT

MR. ELIMINATOR

I haven't collected any case files yet, but if it is possible to have them match I might try for it. I like to have collections matching, like my sin city. They did good with the spines as when you put them all together it makes a sexy woman.

Does anyone have the US editions as I might collect them. The covers look much better for a start.

COMMANDO FORCES

But you know there is no search capability anymore, that would take me years  :'(
Have you got a linky  :D

COMMANDO FORCES

Seen. It looks thicker as well, how strange  :o :-*

SmallBlueThing

I sent you a text with a pic, cf, but i see you found the other one.

Rebellion have history with mucking about like this. Im a constant reader of their Tombs of the Dead series, and the ten books so far have three very different spine designs, plus another change of coverstock (shiny to matt). The series went from normal sized paperbacks to oversized after book four, and has recently been revamped as of book ten ('the viking dead') to a shinier and completely different style.

Normally, i'd say changing stuff is good- it keeps browsers on their toes and reinforces the 'newness', but all the same, it's ever-so slightly annoying. To get my own back, i shelve that particular series backwards (10-1, not pages-out) so they merge gently with other similar paperbacks on dedicated zombie fiction shelf number two in the lounge.

I may go and kill myself now, having read back over that.

SBT

COMMANDO FORCES

I now have something to torture the Rebellion Crew with at the next convention,

The BASTARDS >:D >:D >:D >:D

SuperSurfer

Right. Let me put it this way.

I LIKE THE SPINES AS THEY ARE!

:)

When I have a spare moment I will do a visual to show just why.

Emperor

I find myself equally concerned about people ordering their books from left to right - madness.  :o
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

The Adventurer

Quote from: Emperor on 13 October, 2011, 04:03:55 AM
I find myself equally concerned about people ordering their books from left to right - madness.  :o

I suppose there is an argument to be made for ordering books from right to left. The first page of book 2 comes after the last page of book 1 after all. So placing them Right to Left is like one continues giant book.

That being said, numerically... you count up. Hence Left to Right tendencies. Because we read Left to Right.

Its a conundrum.  If only we read our books from Left to Right, like in Japan, we wouldn't have this problem!

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Fleetos

I think it is just lazy art direction myself.

A good designer would make it work so no matter how big, small. The spines would work together.

You have to think of the bigger picture. Collectors get these. Collectors want to display them.

I also don't like it when a strip has a different artist dropped into a series run. But that is a different kettle of fish my friends.
:P

Proudhuff

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 12 October, 2011, 08:50:58 PM
But you know there is no search capability anymore, that would take me years  :'(
Have you got a linky  :D

I shouldn't encourage you lot but:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,33880.0.html
DDT did a job on me