Main Menu

Spines

Started by Fleetos, 12 October, 2011, 04:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Quote from: The Adventurer on 13 October, 2011, 04:54:53 AM
Quote from: Emperor on 13 October, 2011, 04:03:55 AM
I find myself equally concerned about people ordering their books from left to right - madness.  :o

I suppose there is an argument to be made for ordering books from right to left. The first page of book 2 comes after the last page of book 1 after all. So placing them Right to Left is like one continues giant book.

That being said, numerically... you count up. Hence Left to Right tendencies. Because we read Left to Right.

Its a conundrum.  If only we read our books from Left to Right, like in Japan, we wouldn't have this problem!

My argument is that on book (and DVD) spines the text is rotated 90 degrees clockwise, so to read them properly you put your head over to the right hand side. This makes the book on the right essentially become the top of a stack of books, a stack you would read from the top to the bottom. Therefore the numbering should go from right to left.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

James Stacey

what madness is this? That's right up there with Colin saying it's not important, only the content is.
But then I've just brought 2 copies of the new Pratchett book as there are 2 covers for the first edition. (and I used to laugh at people doing that with comics)

Colin Zeal

Seeing as CF clearly gave me a pre-emptive shunning it's probably best I stay out of this now. I still think I'm right though.

James Stacey

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 13 October, 2011, 02:00:48 PM
CF clearly gave me a pre-emptive shunning

Is that legal ? was there a sock involved  :lol:

COMMANDO FORCES

Don't listen to Colin, he bought, with his own money, 2000AD's from the dark era at the last Southern Contingent gathering  ;)

radiator

QuoteMy argument is that on book (and DVD) spines the text is rotated 90 degrees clockwise, so to read them properly you put your head over to the right hand side. This makes the book on the right essentially become the top of a stack of books, a stack you would read from the top to the bottom. Therefore the numbering should go from right to left.

You're a lunatic. Numbers go from left to right.

Out of interest, what does everyone think about those titles - usually French books or films - where the spine text reads the wrong way - bottom to top, making a mess of even the neatest shelf?

SmallBlueThing

Talking of which, at the next southern contingent gathering, it'd be appreciated if you'd all wear basically the same colours please, and have jackets that are mostly the same length. It really winds me up to see you all mismatched standing there, and ruins memories and photographs.

SBT

COMMANDO FORCES

It's a bloody disgrace, what we need is

U
nIfoRmItY

Colin Zeal

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 13 October, 2011, 02:12:02 PM
Don't listen to Colin, he bought, with his own money, 2000AD's from the dark era at the last Southern Contingent gathering  ;)

You can never have enough Michael Fleischer stories.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 13 October, 2011, 03:08:54 PM
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 13 October, 2011, 02:12:02 PM

You can never have enough Michael Fleischer stories.

NURSE! NURSE!
DDT did a job on me

Emperor

Quote from: radiator on 13 October, 2011, 02:13:54 PM
QuoteMy argument is that on book (and DVD) spines the text is rotated 90 degrees clockwise, so to read them properly you put your head over to the right hand side. This makes the book on the right essentially become the top of a stack of books, a stack you would read from the top to the bottom. Therefore the numbering should go from right to left.

You're a lunatic. Numbers go from left to right.

Or top to bottom - even if technically on their sides.

Quote from: radiator on 13 October, 2011, 02:13:54 PM
Out of interest, what does everyone think about those titles - usually French books or films - where the spine text reads the wrong way - bottom to top, making a mess of even the neatest shelf?

I turn the books/DVDs upside down to make them fit.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

radiator

QuoteOr top to bottom - even if technically on their sides.

That's mental. They are on their sides. If you're stacking them in columns layed flat, then yes, biggest number goes at the bottom of the stack, but in what universe does that override the fact that numbers read left to right?

By that logic, you would also alphabetise your music collection Z-A.

I, Cosh

Pfft. Here's my Case Filing system. I thought this in itself would be enough to upset some of you, but then I noticed some things that will really shock you. SBT was crowing about his volume 6 lining up with 7 and 8, but just take a look at his 5. The helmet is down around its knees, whilst mine aligns pretty well with 7. Likewise, my volumes 1 and 2 make a pretty nice pair, whilst his are all over the place.

After I read Emperor's post, I had to go for a walk round the block to calm down. I most certainly do not tilt my head to read the spines. I simply look at the symbols running down the spine and allow my brain to transpose them and form words.
When I was running out of shelf space, I had a brief flirtation with stacking my comics vertically and it seems obvious to me that you would do this with number 1 at the bottom, as that's the first one you buy.
I went to gather some evidence of this and was surprised to find that there is no hard and fast rule imposed here, as the Hyperions in descending order and thus opposition to everything else.

As for DVDs, that doesn't bother me in the slightest, as you can see here:

With CDs, on the other hand, it physically pains me. However, I made a decision many years ago that it is more important for the boxes to open in the same direction than for the spines to be aligned, as illustrated by this antiquated Low effort.
We never really die.

O Lucky Stevie!

Any decent graphics program or even word processor will allow you to set up a design template of your choice.

Then it's just a simple case of typeytype, printy print & sticketty-stick & voila! Matching spines.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Grant Goggans

I like how you kept the cardboard wraparound of Rhino's reissue of Forever Changes.  You're a good man.