Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Going by the pricing, Fatties and Button Man are both US volumes. Volgan War 3 is, I assume, the continuation of that series in paperback.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Dash Decent on 09 November, 2012, 10:27:36 AM
Amazon UK have the following up for pre-order:

Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files vol 20 - 13 Aug 2013
The publisher is listed as Ravenstone?

Rebellion/Ravenstone they're practically identical! A mistake anyone could make!

Anyways, having recently gotten Tales of Nu Earth Vol. 3 which is by far the biggest 'shiny paper' Phonebook edition to date, it got me thinking wouldn't it be nice if they started making the Judge Dredd Case Files series this big? Doubt it will happen but here's living in hope.

IndigoPrime

I suspect there has to be a balance. If the Case Files got much thicker, they'd soon become prohibitively expensive, due to using the superior paper and colour print. It's also worth noting that the difference in paper stock also makes a much bigger difference than many perhaps realise: although there are fewer pages in the recent Dredd volumes than the Rogue Trooper ones, the difference isn't nearly as large as you'd think from looking at the books. Colour Dredd Case Files/Restricted Files have averaged around 300 pages. By comparison, the Rogue volumes have been around 400. (As for other 'phonebooks', the Nemesis ones had about the same page count as Dredd Case Files, as did some of the early Strontium Dog books.)

Mark Taylor

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 November, 2012, 12:47:51 PMI suspect there has to be a balance. If the Case Files got much thicker, they'd soon become prohibitively expensive, due to using the superior paper and colour print.

Yes it did occur to me that although the latest Rogue Trooper volume is printed on the 'superior' paper stock normally used for colour editions, very little of the content is actually in colour. Printing the whole thing in colour (as would be necessary with a Judge Dredd Case Files book) would probably be quite a bit more expensive. This is one of the reasons I think it probably won't happen. I for one would be happy to pay a few quid extra but possibly for some it would seem like a few quid too much.

Dash Decent

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 November, 2012, 11:43:40 AM
Going by the pricing, Fatties and Button Man are both US volumes. Volgan War 3 is, I assume, the continuation of that series in paperback.

Yes, Case Files 6 is also listed for next year, which is obviously another US release.

The cover for Fatties is up if anyone wants to look at it.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Colin YNWA

From the CBR Pat Mills interview.

Flesh - Badlands - Pat Mills James McKay, Spring 2013

In  fact I might was well just quote it.

Quote"Defoe" is the next adventure concludes the first story arc with Defoe facing victory or defeat at the hands of the Zombies and a question mark over his future.

In "Greysuit," he returns and -- once more brainwashed -- is ordered to kill a cop. A hero who refuses to be corrupted by the system

After the current "ABC Warriors" story we will do another one covering another missing section in the Warriors' history

"Savage" is the final battle for the Liberation of London and -- for the first time -- we see Volgans as human beings

Also hints that he'd like to do more Visible Man. Come on Pat you know its gonna be worth it.

SmallBlueThing

So- NINE MONTHS until Case Files 20? Is that right? :-/

SBT

Greg M.

Yes. It's like being stuck in some weird Strontium Dog-style time trap, whereby we can see escape in sight (Casefiles 21, come unto us!) but feel as we're treading through treacle trying desperately to reach it.

In fairness, for all those of you who (quite understandably) deserted in the 90s, the Casefiles release schedule has created a pretty accurate summation of what it felt like in the middle of that decade - as if we were never going to escape the horror, except possibly by expiring in protest.

hippynumber1

Quote from: Greg M. on 09 November, 2012, 08:38:07 PM

In fairness, for all those of you who (quite understandably) deserted in the 90s, the Casefiles release schedule has created a pretty accurate summation of what it felt like in the middle of that decade - as if we were never going to escape the horror, except possibly by expiring in protest.

That sums it up perfectly!  :lol:

Hawkmumbler

If my calculations are correct, should Case Files 20 contain Wilderlands? Or will that be pushed over to 21...It's naff anyway so I don't care.

Greg M.

I'm pretty sure it won't be in 20. Naff, though? Can't agree. I'm not going to proclaim it amazing, but it has a smashing build-up and some great bits, and compared to some of the dross that will be in 20 (sad to say, 20 will contain the worst material the Casefiles have ever had to contend with, along with, ironically, a fragment of the best in the form of 'Bury My Knee...'), it flamin' well shines. 'Wilderlands' is particularly interesting as a sort of testing ground for concepts Wagner will later run with (particularly Castillo as the ur-De Marco.) It has a certain allure as a transitional phase in 'Judge Dredd's history - I am always fascinated by 'cusp' creativity, i.e, books / comics / records that straddle the threshold of old and new directions.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dash Decent on 09 November, 2012, 10:27:36 AMJudge Dredd: The Complete Case Files vol 20 - 13 Aug 2013
Bah! I blame the wrestlers.
We never really die.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 09 November, 2012, 08:26:40 PM
So- NINE MONTHS until Case Files 20? Is that right? :-/

SBT

Indeed, FIFTEEN MONTHS gap between Case Files 19 and 20. I truly hope that this is not what the release schedule is going to look like in the future. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE (is that enough?) Rebellion, pick up the pace.

SmallBlueThing

Well, if it was- which it wont be- that would be enough to count me out of buying any more. The whole point of giving shelfspace to these dreadful nineties reprints is to maintain the collection with an eye to one day having something approaching a 'complete' run on the shelves. I would not be interested in wasting shelf space on a series that would not even get back to the good stuff until im approaching 50 and which would see no chance of catching up with the current run until way past my death.
Im sure there's a reason for this particular abberation- just as im waiting for someone to say its a mistake and 20 is out in feb.

SBT