Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

While I love Simpson's work on War Machine (and Dredd of that period), I'm not sure that those two lovely covers have aged very well. The Flint one is much more modern-looking, and frankly more immediately striking.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 February, 2013, 06:52:02 PM
While I love Simpson's work on War Machine (and Dredd of that period), I'm not sure that those two lovely covers have aged very well. The Flint one is much more modern-looking, and frankly more immediately striking.

I know exactly what you mean, but the scan quality of those images doesn't do the originals justice. Boost the colour contrast and get Parr to slap a bit of bold typography across them diagonally (semantic shorthand for dynamism) and the jobs a good un. Failing that, the semi-divine Chris Weston's an acceptable compromise. Or, failing that, how about Chris Weston?

Both Weston and Flint worked on that wayward period of the character's history, but seeing the latter's take on the character again just reminds me of how my introduction to his art was during the period where I was aware that the strip had drifted too far from either its original premise and lost the impetus of the Gibbons reboot to ever really come back convincingly. The pointless Mark Millar story where Friday shaved his 'do back into a Travis Bickle mohawk was worth it just to witness the precise moment where Weston transformed from the plucky trier of yesteryear into the powerhouse we know him as today, and I would have thought he was the natural pick for this collection.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: sauchie on 24 February, 2013, 06:12:18 PM

You would have thought a redesign of these would have been in order:

http://www.2000ad.org/functions/cover.php?choice=ROGUE91&Comic=specials

ISRC there was a full colour pic of Fiday by Gibbons on the inside front cover of this. Anyone got a scan handy?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Dash Decent

The cover for the IDW Ezquerra collection has been updated.  This one has a solid white background, in keeping with the look of the Bolland & Kennedy volumes.  Ezquerra fans may (or may not) be pleased to note the Dredd image includes Ezquerra's signature dashed outline.

You can get a better look at the cover and browse some of the pages at Amazon UK, courtesy of their "Look inside" feature.  (Click here!)

Apart from the covers gallery, the story line up appears to be:

• Bank Raid - 5 pages
  • Krong - 5
  • Meka City - 13
  • Fungus - 18
  • Destinys Angels - 50
  • The Executioner - 26
  • The Night of the Rad Beast - 12
  • The Prankster - 7
  • The Starborn Thing - 38
  • Condo - 21
  • Requiem for a Heavyweight - 27
  • The Man Who Knew Too Much - 14

That's 236 pages devoted to stories.

The classic "Um - synthi sausage?" cover is reproduced (in b&w) and the Rico/Dredd image that mirrors the classic "Who's gonna mess with us" Alpha/Dredd is there too, though sadly the Alpha/Dredd is (as far as can be seen) not.  While not a surprise - this being a Dredd volume - it would be spectacular to see the two pictures reproduced side by side in a quality oversized book like this one.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

TordelBack

That's a beautiful cover, and a great line-up, but very focused on one period (well, maybe two) of his work.  Does this suggest that more volumes are planned with later material?

James Stacey

The back cover on Amazon says its Volume 1

TordelBack

Quote from: James Stacey on 01 March, 2013, 09:10:14 AM
The back cover on Amazon says its Volume 1

And indeed I can now see that tiny 'Volume 1' on the front cover, and the rather larger one in the Amazon listing!  D'oh! That'll be a lovely set if it runs a few volumes.

hippynumber1

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 14 February, 2013, 07:54:50 PM
Quote from: Ancient Otter on 04 February, 2013, 03:52:22 PM
The Tales from Beyond Science collection is marked down as being in comic shops on February 13th.

Quote from: douglaswolkOne addition: the long-delayed "Tales from Beyond Science" collection (eight stories from '92 and '93, all drawn by Rian Hughes) is apparently finally coming out from Image in the U.S. next week!

Looks like I wasn't far off on this coming out. Also, Amazon.co.uk are listing a hardback of this at £4.49 and the paperback at £11.69.

Mine arrived this morning - large format, hardcover and £4.49! A bargain and beautiful...

Ancient Otter

I wasn't really sure if the hardback was going to come out of Tales From Beyond Science, so I just ordered a paperback version for myself from my local shop. Doh! Surprised to see they coloured the stories(or maybe the stories I only read were grey-scale?)

Spikes

Quote from: Dash Decent on 01 March, 2013, 08:47:01 AM
The cover for the IDW Ezquerra collection has been updated.  This one has a solid white background, in keeping with the look of the Bolland & Kennedy volumes.  Ezquerra fans may (or may not) be pleased to note the Dredd image includes Ezquerra's signature dashed outline.

You can get a better look at the cover and browse some of the pages at Amazon UK, courtesy of their "Look inside" feature.  (Click here!)

Apart from the covers gallery, the story line up appears to be:

• Bank Raid - 5 pages
  • Krong - 5
  • Meka City - 13
  • Fungus - 18
  • Destinys Angels - 50
  • The Executioner - 26
  • The Night of the Rad Beast - 12
  • The Prankster - 7
  • The Starborn Thing - 38
  • Condo - 21
  • Requiem for a Heavyweight - 27
  • The Man Who Knew Too Much - 14

That's 236 pages devoted to stories.

The classic "Um - synthi sausage?" cover is reproduced (in b&w) and the Rico/Dredd image that mirrors the classic "Who's gonna mess with us" Alpha/Dredd is there too, though sadly the Alpha/Dredd is (as far as can be seen) not.  While not a surprise - this being a Dredd volume - it would be spectacular to see the two pictures reproduced side by side in a quality oversized book like this one.

Wow, just seen this..
Now that all looks incredibily tempting. A very nice selection of stories.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 03 March, 2013, 05:57:59 PM
I wasn't really sure if the hardback was going to come out of Tales From Beyond Science, so I just ordered a paperback version for myself from my local shop. Doh! Surprised to see they coloured the stories(or maybe the stories I only read were grey-scale?)

'Twas the paperback that shipped to Stevie's local so he grabbed that on the off-chance statistical eventuality  ;) that the hardcover doesn't turn up.

The series was glorious full colour in the prog whilst the Sci Fi Special & Yearbook stories appeared in either balck & white or greyscale.

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

IndigoPrime

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 02 March, 2013, 04:46:15 PMMine arrived this morning - large format, hardcover and £4.49! A bargain and beautiful...
I just hope they got someone to properly proof it this time. Yesterday's Tomorrows was in many ways a beautiful book, but, good grief, the redone lettering was littered with typos, mis-spellings and other errors. It really took the edge off it for me.

James Stacey

Couple of updates from the Cardiff Comic Con that I can't see on here

JDH is confirmed on Age of the Wolf book 3, Leigh Gallagher on new Defoe and due to that, new Aquila incoming Aquila will be courtesy of Rennie and Goddard.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: James Stacey on 08 March, 2013, 08:56:24 AM
Couple of updates from the Cardiff Comic Con that I can't see on here

JDH is confirmed on Age of the Wolf book 3, Leigh Gallagher on new Defoe and due to that, new Aquila incoming Aquila will be courtesy of Rennie and Goddard.
Yes. Just yes.

The Adventurer

Can we swap Gallagher and Goddard please? No? Damn.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK