Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Quote from: Dash Decent on 01 May, 2013, 11:15:05 AM
Dash here with another cover for you:

I just love this, even the way Carlos has added too many links so lesser artists don't feel so bad about how far behind they are. ; D

This second collection of Carlos Ezquerra-illustrated stories includes "The Apocalypse War" as well as "Robot Wars," "Kirby's Demon," "Rights of Succession," and more.

Hardcover: 248 pages
Publisher: IDW Publishing (27 Aug 2013)

The Amazon "Look Inside" feature reveals the contents to be:

• Robot Wars - progs 10-17                                          (41 pages)
  • The Apocalypse War - progs 245-267, 269-270          (153 pages)
  • Kirby's Demon - prog 638                                            (6 pages)
  • The Amazing Ant-Man - prog 640                                 (6 pages)
  • Young Giant - progs 651-655                                     (30 pages)
  • By Lethal Injection - progs 669-670                            (13 pages)
  • Rights of Succession - prog 671                                   (7 pages)
  • Dear Annie - progs 672-673                                     (13 pages)
  • Death Aid - progs 711-715, 719-720                          (43 pages)

That works out to be 312 pages, not including the cover gallery at the back (covers for progs 245, 250, 254 and 256 can be seen in the preview).  That's a much higher page count than Amazon are quoting on their website (248 pages).

There are jumps in the prog-runs for The Apocalypse War and Death Aid.  Can someone smart please tell me if that means part of the stories are left out (drawn by another) or merely the nothing-to-worry-about end of story then later return/refrain/linked but separate concluding story?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Spikes

Without checking the Death Aid progs, the gap in the Apocalypse War run was simply that Carlos had gotten behind, so prog 268 featured a reprinted Ian Gibson Dredd story - which was unrelated to the Apocalypse War. Normal service was resumed the following prog.

Greg M.

No part of either story is missing - as Judge Jack says, there was a random reprint towards the end of the Apocalypse War one week, and a few Wagner one-offs got printed in the middle of Death Aid, so both those two will be complete.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Judge Jack on 16 August, 2013, 02:32:36 PM
Without checking the Death Aid progs, the gap in the Apocalypse War run was simply that Carlos had gotten behind, so prog 268 featured a reprinted Ian Gibson Dredd story - which was unrelated to the Apocalypse War. Normal service was resumed the following prog.

That's right!  Was the Gibson story the one about a pig-faced mutie, or something like that?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

glassstanley

No, it was the You Bet Your Life game show one. Mutie the Pig was used to plug another two week gap, I think.

Dash Decent

Volume 3 of the collected IDW Judge Dredd series is now up for pre-order at Amazon UK.

104 pages, 4th February 2014.

Blurb:
As chaotic and violent as things can be in Mega-City One, it's all unicorns, ice cream, and rainbows compared to what you'll find beyond the outer walls... in the CURSED EARTH! In the wake of the devastation of "The Long Fail," Dredd is forced to lead a small team of Judges into the scariest stretch of irradiated wasteland to recover the very soul of the city.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

James Stacey

Quote from: Dash Decent on 19 August, 2013, 12:31:08 PM
In the wake of the devastation of "The Long Fail,"
It still amuses me they chose to call it this. Kinda mirrors the strip itself.

judgerufian

Quote from: Dash Decent on 19 August, 2013, 12:31:08 PM
Volume 3 of the collected IDW Judge Dredd series is now up for pre-order at Amazon UK.

104 pages, 4th February 2014.

Blurb:
As chaotic and violent as things can be in Mega-City One, it's all unicorns, ice cream, and rainbows compared to what you'll find beyond the outer walls... in the CURSED EARTH! In the wake of the devastation of "The Long Fail," Dredd is forced to lead a small team of Judges into the scariest stretch of irradiated wasteland to recover the very soul of the city.

'Very soul of the city'?? Can I have an opinion on these IDW stories before I part with cold hard cash. That description sounds like the stories have gone very....american comics (for want of a better description!).
Or if there is a thread dedicated to the IDW stories, please help a fellow forumite and supply the link.

Michael Evans

I'm really not enjoying the IDW monthly series (I'm finding the tone very odd but not Dredd) but the Year One limited was a cracking bit of work (i.e. very Dredd/2000AD). It is only the prospect of the monthly leading to more Dredd that keeps me buying it month after (so-far) disappointing month.

Dash Decent

Quote from: judgerufian on 19 August, 2013, 01:44:16 PM
if there is a thread dedicated to the IDW stories, please help a fellow forumite and supply the link.

There's separate threads for each issue under the "Other Reviews" section of the forum (under "Spoilers", along with the prog and meg reviews).  Here's a direct link to the Other Reviews section:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/board,8.0.html

Here's some links to specific discussions:

Issue 3 - http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,38768.0.html
Issue 4 - http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,38970.0.html
Issue 8 - http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,38796.0.html
Issue 9 - http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,38939.0.html
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

Silent_Bomber

I don't mind the IDW series, I like the artwork and the stories can be mildly entertaining at times.

I think "We've got you Now" might have garnered a 6/10 from me, maybe even a low 7 if I'm feeling generous.

Americans seem to like it anyway, so I don't think it can be doing any harm.

hippynumber1

I read the collected vol. 1 and it was rubbish! I won't be buying vol.2...

Silent_Bomber

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 19 August, 2013, 06:10:35 PM
I read the collected vol. 1 and it was rubbish! I won't be buying vol.2...

I'd say Volume 2 is actually worse than Volume 1, so you made the right decision.

Half of Volume 1 I'd consider giving 6/10 to.

Volume 2 is probably all 4s IMO.

The new Cursed Earth story might be rising back up to all time high levels of 6s again though :lol:

judgerufian

thanks to all on the IDW subject, seems like Year One is the only title worth getting (not a surprise considering who its written by)!
A bold experiment if nothing else.....

Silent_Bomber

Just checked out the "lost years" Slaine's, thought they were actually pretty good, kind of like Warrior's Dawn Slaine in tone just with him as a king instead of a wanderer.

Are there any plans for a collection?