Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Satanist on 05 September, 2013, 11:23:04 PM

I want this like yesterday.

Damn straight!

(ahem) Paging IDW. How about a line of oversize, author-centric hardcover to complement the art books?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Robo-K33F

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 September, 2013, 05:16:48 PM
Looks like a rather impressive anthology of one-offs and and also-rans.  I'm seeing The Visible Man, The Amazing Maze Dumoir, Xtnct, Tribal Memories for definite, and is the guy in the foreground Greysuit?  Is the sword-wielding guy from Telguuth, and who is the dame with the machine gun?

That's Homer the Barbarian. The girl with the gun is from Family. Foreground man is the Universal Soldier.  You can't quite make out the young girl from Life Cycle, the robot from Colony Earth, or Superbean....

TordelBack

Cheers, Keith.  That is, as nobody actually says, a spicy meatball.  Eclectic in a good way.  Provided we restrict ourselves to the first Simpson-drawn series of Universal Soldier...

Colin Zeal

Tribal Memories is a cracking story and definitely deserves to be collected and hopefully made known to a wider audience.

Robo-K33F

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 September, 2013, 08:14:34 AM
Cheers, Keith.  That is, as nobody actually says, a spicy meatball.  Eclectic in a good way.  Provided we restrict ourselves to the first Simpson-drawn series of Universal Soldier...

Oh, definitely Simpson only.

Hawkmumbler

Well that's a very unusual collection. I'll be keeping my eye on that.

hippynumber1

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 06 September, 2013, 09:53:15 AM

Is that down to the introduction of 'Kelly's Eye' in the later stories? I recall (vaguely) some hoo-har about IP infringement (although I'm probably wrong)

credo

That looks like a very interesting collection. Agreed, however, that a bumper Pete Milligan Collection would be beautiful. He was certainly an eclectic voice in 2000AD at the time - Tribal Memories, The Dead, Bad Company, Hewligan's Haircut, Bix Barton, Sooner or Later really span quite a range of styles.

Not caring for comics much outside tooth (difficult to wade through the capes to find the good stuff), I have no idea of his other work, nor why he no longer writes for the Galaxy's Greatest. Anyone want to fill me in?

Robo-K33F

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 06 September, 2013, 11:57:08 AM

Is that down to the introduction of 'Kelly's Eye' in the later stories? I recall (vaguely) some hoo-har about IP infringement (although I'm probably wrong)

Not really - I wanted to keep the collection to b&w strips only. I also only liked the first series (especially the sinister, downbeat ending).

Robo-K33F

Quote from: Greg M. on 05 September, 2013, 10:57:45 PM
I kinda wish they'd theme these things by author – I want to have Tribal Memories in a collected TPB form very much, but it's frustrating that I have to own Xtnct to do so. I've said it before – bring out The Pete Milligan collection: Freaks, Shadows, Tribal Memories, The Dead, Sooner or Later / Swifty's Return + assorted Future Shocks (with Bix Barton getting its own TPB, clearly.)

So it's not for you - fair enough. But I see this sort of anthology collection as a great example of what 2000 AD is to the uninitiated and a great nostalgic trip for fans of the comic. The wide variety of strips is also a lot more appealing to a wider audience.

That's not to say that a Milligan collection will never happen though...

hippynumber1

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 06 September, 2013, 12:44:48 PM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 06 September, 2013, 11:57:08 AM

Not really - I wanted to keep the collection to b&w strips only. I also only liked the first series (especially the sinister, downbeat ending).

The first series was definitely the best of them but I remember Ewins doing some great work in the later stories - he really took that angular 'design' look to its extreme. Lovely stuff.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 06 September, 2013, 06:53:31 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 05 September, 2013, 05:16:48 PM
Looks like a rather impressive anthology of one-offs and and also-rans.  I'm seeing The Visible Man, The Amazing Maze Dumoir, Xtnct, Tribal Memories for definite...

That's Homer the Barbarian. The girl with the gun is from Family. Foreground man is the Universal Soldier.  You can't quite make out the young girl from Life Cycle, the robot from Colony Earth, or Superbean....

Wow! Eclectic ain't the word! Half of those I've never even heard of - the only ones I've actually read are Visible Man, XTNCT and Family. I love that after 13 dedicated, expensive years in Tharg's clutches I'm still playing catch-up.

Really great idea, this. To be honest I'd rather have one-off series bunged in a grab-bag like this than have to buy several slim 90-page books of each (or simply never have a reprint at all).
@jamesfeistdraws

Greg M.

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 06 September, 2013, 12:49:51 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 05 September, 2013, 10:57:45 PM
I kinda wish they'd theme these things by author – I want to have Tribal Memories in a collected TPB form very much, but it's frustrating that I have to own Xtnct to do so. I've said it before – bring out The Pete Milligan collection: Freaks, Shadows, Tribal Memories, The Dead, Sooner or Later / Swifty's Return + assorted Future Shocks (with Bix Barton getting its own TPB, clearly.)

So it's not for you - fair enough. But I see this sort of anthology collection as a great example of what 2000 AD is to the uninitiated and a great nostalgic trip for fans of the comic. The wide variety of strips is also a lot more appealing to a wider audience.

That's not to say that a Milligan collection will never happen though...

That's fair enough, and I didn't mean to sound quite as critical as my post reads in retrospect - I can see the logic and think Rebellion have done an overall fantastic job with their collections. To be honest, I probably will buy Sci-Fi Thrillers: even if I'm not interested in or dislike some stories, there's others it'll be nice to have collected. It was just the presence of 'Tribal Memories' that suddenly rekindled my desire for a Milligan collection, but I could probably have expressed that better without making it sound like I was knocking the overall concept.

While we're on the subject of one-author collections, I know John Smith has less 'name value' outside of the 2000AD world than Pete Milligan, but a bumper John Smith Collection is the other thing I'd dearly love - Revere, Firekind, Slaughterbowl, Tyranny Rex et al.

TordelBack

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 06 September, 2013, 12:49:51 PMBut I see this sort of anthology collection as a great example of what 2000 AD is to the uninitiated and a great nostalgic trip for fans of the comic.

Spot on.  A great example of 2000AD at its diverse marmitey best.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 06 September, 2013, 09:51:00 AM
Tribal Memories is a cracking story and definitely deserves to be collected and hopefully made known to a wider audience.

There's a really interesting selection of material in that up coming collection, but this, this imparticular is so very true. I chuffin' love Tribal Memories.

It and the recent Ghostship Mathmatica are my two favourite short form 2000ad stories (I think, I've probably forgotten something)