Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Greg M. on 09 September, 2013, 07:46:19 PMHe describes it as 'edgy and sexy'.

That infringes on a registered trademark of TordelDance Inc.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Banners on 09 September, 2013, 07:42:24 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ
Shade the Changing Man (for DC / Vertigo, which was excellent at first and was the first DC mature readers comic I read, but lost my interest after a while)
For a while, my favourite comic series of all time.
And still your avatar's spiritual home? Yeah, the first fifty issues of Shade are fantastic and, as Jim said, Enigma is brilliant too. Both very highly recommended by me.

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 09 September, 2013, 07:47:14 PM
The first 12 issues of Shade, the Changing Man ("The American Scream") were superb and, although it did kind of lose its way a little after that, DC need to put together an omnibus of the entire run as soon as humanly possible...
The American Scream storyline ran out of steam but the comic itself went from strength to strength after that. DC did get about three volumes into a big thick reprint series last year but demand seems to have died out.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

I started reading Cla$$war recently and I can highly recommend it...damn, this going digital idea is mighty good.

Banners

Quote from: The Cosh
Quote from: Banners
For a while, my favourite comic series of all time.
And still your avatar's spiritual home?

Yup - that's Shade. God bless you, Sir :-)

The Adventurer

QuoteI started reading Cla$$war recently and I can highly recommend it...damn, this going digital idea is mighty good.
It sure is buddy. It sure is.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 September, 2013, 09:45:03 PM
I started reading Cla$$war recently and I can highly recommend it...damn, this going digital idea is mighty good.

Loved that too Hawk- one of my first digital purchases on Comixology.
Real shame Hairsine didn't complete the series.

Fungus

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 September, 2013, 07:44:39 PM
Milligan and Fegredo's Enigma is sublime. One of my very favourite comics. Although I don't think I've read it since it was originally published, I remember really enjoying his and Ted McKeever's The Extremist, too.

Likewise. Can remember nothing really of Enigma except how great it was. Will dig it out again.

Shade, however... as I munch slowly through my (unread(!)) 90's stuff I see that next up for Shade will be 36-70 (when it may have ended, I could look that up but haven't yet). Shade was/is very hit-and-miss for me, sometimes too willfully out there. I can see the same strip being a great antidote to people in tights back in the Ditko day (good for him), but resurrecting that kind of strip in the 90's feels a bit unnecessary. A blip on the otherwise brilliant Milligan's writing. 2000ad probably gave me an aversion to "other dimensions", blah, blah, blah.

Grant Goggans

I liked Shade at the time - I started reading it when Vertigo launched, went back, caught up and was therefore in the right place for the big story from #45-50 to break my heart.  But when I reread it a few years later, it didn't work nearly as well for me.  I think it's just too constantly brutal, without enough light.  The Madness mostly materialized as really awful horror, to the point I was questioning why anybody, even people as broken as Kathy and Lenny, would stick around Shade.

In smaller doses, monthly, it works better.  You can imagine the cracks between stories being full of friendship and love and happiness and a more whimsical Madness to keep the trio together.  But read in one giant chunk, it's really unhappy and miserable.  I sold all my issues ages ago.

(Also, the DC collected edition department did their usual half-assed job with the book versions.  The first 18 issues - the "American Scream" story - are just perfection itself to reprint, since there's a natural break with issue # 9.  Nine issues in one and nine in the second, The American Scream vols. 1-2.  But no, they did their usual six-issues-for-twenty bucks scam and wondered why sales were low.  Because they made collecting the story cost $60 for three books instead of $40 for two...?)

Ancient Otter

According to Amazon.co.uk, Snow/Tiger is due in December and a reprint of Nemesis the Warlock Volume 2 is down for February 2014. Anyone know if this correct? Link

IndigoPrime

Judging by the pricing, those are all US books. In that case, Nemesis over there's done well enough to justify the second volume, which is good news.

MercZ

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 09 September, 2013, 09:45:03 PM

I've never even heard of it  :-[

Still, looks cool. I'm going to check it out this weekend.

Hawkmumbler

Its Rob Williams and Trevor Hairisine. It's top quality from front to back.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 13 September, 2013, 08:11:03 AM
Its Rob Williams and Trevor Hairisine. It's top quality from front to back.

Don't forget Travel Foreman!

Nubby mcstubbins

Any sign of an Anderson Volume 4?  I would love to see that sometime soon.  I'm around 2004-2005 on my read-through of 2000AD and the Megazine, and it looks like there's some good Anderson stuff there that hasn't yet been collected.

Judge Brian

Anderson #4 would be mostly Ranson stories, right. I also think it would be the last one for some time, seeing how the psychic files pick up with Cook's first Anderson story.