Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills!

Started by radiator, 10 February, 2012, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodsy

Quote from: IronGraham on 27 October, 2013, 06:19:41 PM
Do we know if any of the old Nikolai Dante strips will be reprinted?

Speaking with Robbie and Simon at the Lakes a couple of weekends ago and this sounds like touche subject.
I think it's only actually Vol.3 out of print (at least that was the only one I ever had trouble finding). I asked if we are ever going to see the whole series in print again and apparently they have been told we will at some point but that was several years ago...  :(
Twitter - @dodsy84

IronGraham

Quote from: dodsy on 01 November, 2013, 12:22:02 PM
Quote from: IronGraham on 27 October, 2013, 06:19:41 PM
Do we know if any of the old Nikolai Dante strips will be reprinted?

Speaking with Robbie and Simon at the Lakes a couple of weekends ago and this sounds like touche subject.
I think it's only actually Vol.3 out of print (at least that was the only one I ever had trouble finding). I asked if we are ever going to see the whole series in print again and apparently they have been told we will at some point but that was several years ago...  :(

oh...  :(
We're werewolves not swearwolves

TordelBack

If ever a series would benefit from being squeezed into 3 'compendiums' approaching maximum casefiles girth, it's Dante.  The storytelling is so clear, the scope so wide, the structure so well-defined from the start that having masses of the stuff under one cover is no problem at all.

A recent re-read of the beginning and the end (the middle would require a non-trivial trawl of the Attic of Despair) really highlighted how great a work it is.  Looking at my existing intimidating mishmash of different trades and scattered progs, I would buy omnibus editions with new covers (Frasers bookending start and finish, Burns in the middle) without a second's hesitation.  That, or a half-dozen heavily annotated/sketchified two-volumes-in-one series.

The world needs to see Dante stand among Dredd, Stront, Nemesis, Halo and Slaine as a true giant of the Prog.

Dark Jimbo

At the very, very least I'd like to think we could eventually have all volumes in matching trade dress!
@jamesfeistdraws

IronGraham

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 01 November, 2013, 01:02:15 PM
At the very, very least I'd like to think we could eventually have all volumes in matching trade dress!

hear hear  :)
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Skullmo

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 November, 2013, 12:49:19 PM
If ever a series would benefit from being squeezed into 3 'compendiums' approaching maximum casefiles girth, it's Dante.  The storytelling is so clear, the scope so wide, the structure so well-defined from the start that having masses of the stuff under one cover is no problem at all.

A recent re-read of the beginning and the end (the middle would require a non-trivial trawl of the Attic of Despair) really highlighted how great a work it is.  Looking at my existing intimidating mishmash of different trades and scattered progs, I would buy omnibus editions with new covers (Frasers bookending start and finish, Burns in the middle) without a second's hesitation.  That, or a half-dozen heavily annotated/sketchified two-volumes-in-one series.

The world needs to see Dante stand among Dredd, Stront, Nemesis, Halo and Slaine as a true giant of the Prog.

I would too! I have never read the series and would like to give it a go.
It's a joke. I was joking.

radiator

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 November, 2013, 12:49:19 PM

I've said it before but Dante almost seems designed to be split up into 5 omnibus editions. 1 -  everything up to the outbreak of war (Love and War), 2 - the complete tsar wars, 3 - Return of the Gentleman Thief and the pirate saga, 4 -  all of the Sword of the Tsar stories ending with Amerika, then 5 would begin with Prisoner of the Tsar and end with the finale. Not only would each book cover each of the five distinct 'phases' of the story, but books one to four would all end on a great cliffhanger.

It'll never happen though, Dante doesn't really seem like a big seller.

James Stacey

I've said it before but id buy them in a heartbeat. It's only not heralded as a the best thing 2000ad has ever done because it isn't advertised that way. :)

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: James Stacey on 01 November, 2013, 09:09:09 PM
I've said it before but id buy them in a heartbeat. It's only not heralded as a the best thing 2000ad has ever done because it isn't advertised that way. :)
This completely. Dante is IMHO the best thing to grace the prog.

The Prodigal

Judge Dredd: Mutants in Mega-City One

Guys this one due for release in December-I'm finding it hard to find on line reviews. Same old question-worth picking up?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 01 November, 2013, 10:09:25 PM
Quote from: James Stacey on 01 November, 2013, 09:09:09 PM
This completely. Dante is IMHO the best thing to grace the prog.

When you're right you're right.

Skullmo

Welll I never bought the books mainly because I could not tell what order they were in, they did not seem like a unified set, they were too thin.

The Omnibus idea is great. Maybe if they took preorders for the 5 books beforehand and had them in a slipcase for £100. I would go for that!

Hawkmumbler

I actualy only have the one Dante TPB. The UK edition of The Romanov Dynasty which I got a few months ago for something crazy cheap from the same guys I got the £1 Red Sea's collection from. I won't bother with the rest sadly due to lack of uniformality and scarceness of 2 and 3. An Omnibus edition similar to the Casefiles or The Walking Dead compendium would be bliss.

Skullmo

I would like  red seas omnibus too :-)

Judge Brian

I recently got the 2 DC Dante trades & feel I can't continue until volume 3 is reprinted. With only reading those 2 volumes, I know it will be one of my favorite series I've ever read.