Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Comic Book Day Megathread  (Read 150008 times)

Proudhuff

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • A minefield of imbeciles and chimps
    • View Profile
Re: New Comic Book Day Megathread
« Reply #2250 on: 21 August, 2017, 11:57:32 am »
 :wave:
No doubt I'll be a grumpy killjoy Mr Negative...

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
Re: New Comic Book Day Megathread
« Reply #2251 on: 10 September, 2017, 05:37:37 pm »
Have we really neglected this thread of threads so long. You folks not reading comics?

Anyway I'm back with a bit of a mixed bag of stuff... which means there was some bum steers I guess this haul. Lets look at that shall we.

Kamandi Challenge 8 is showing this series is indeed becoming a challenge to read alas. I love the concept of getting loads of creators to construct a tale one after the other BUT much like the orginal DC Challenge it doesn't quite work.Which is a shame as often its lovely to look at, as this time with some astonishing Steve Rude art. Still I'll see it out and judge it on re-read some day.

Judge Dredd - Blessed Earth 5... hmmm I've been enjoying this series but this issue didn't quite work, it felt too loose and unexplained. How is Dredd functioning, who is the skeleton? what the the heck happened to Mean. Often that kinda thing is good. I mean you shouldn't know it all and a story should have mystery to pull you long. Just felt too much here.

Doctor Who 11th 3rd 9 as fun almost enough. Just felt a little DW by the numbers. The INJ Culbard art was a delight mind.

Rocket Girl 9 we've waited a long time for this and I'm just not invested any more. I've struggled with this series before and on re-read its really worked and think I need to do that again when this arc is over (will that be the end of the series I wonder?)

Elsewhere 2 was a lot less gripping than the first issue, which isn't really a surprise. Our heroes escape, if all is as it seems, felt completely lame. As if the villain had to be introduced to the heroes Ming style but once achieved the escape was very fiunctionally hacked out to move the story on. Still that aside it builds well enough and now a little internet research has told me who D.P. Cooper is (I'd never heard of him before) its all the more interesting.

Lucky the last 4 are all gems. Lazarus X+66 2 continues to show the value in this 'break' mini's vignette's really nice. As is Paklis 4 really its Amnia Cycle + other stuff, but the other stuff is really interesting - I adored the 2 page intro this month and Amnia Cycle is fascinating so all good. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 22 continues this joyous arc and the great news is however badly from the data we have available this comic is doing its starting a new arc in issue 25! Wayhey.

Pick of the haul though is Black Hammer 12. You might think that the constant side steps this series takes from the main story would kill its momentum, but far from it. The serve to add to the world building and they work really, really well. This one is no exception and this series continues to delight.