Main Menu

Lack of love for the bundled "floppies"?

Started by sheldipez, 18 December, 2012, 12:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Just received a second haul of 50p Megs (hell of a deal), and strange to report one of the biggest thrills was clocking the floppies. I hadn't really considered that you could order and group the series you liked and ditch the ones you don't - nice little runs of Lobster Random and others crying out for a temporary binding. The floppies can be annoying month to month if you don't like the particular material, but in aggregate they're great. Converted.

maryanddavid

Flopppies tend to go unread, and then binged on. Keep em coming!

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

well, really happy that rebellion's new purchases will make for a slew of half-forgotten and underground collections from the likes of tornado, starlord etc (starting this month). but obviously i would still love a wolfie smith floppie. i started with the prog round about prog 126, i think. and i kind of knew even then that the plotting was nonsense. but memories of the art still chill and i'd really like to read it again, especially the story set on a film set where the devil was inadvertently summoned ... hmmm ... please?

sheridan

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 23 August, 2017, 08:40:41 PM
well, really happy that rebellion's new purchases will make for a slew of half-forgotten and underground collections from the likes of tornado, starlord etc (starting this month). but obviously i would still love a wolfie smith floppie. i started with the prog round about prog 126, i think. and i kind of knew even then that the plotting was nonsense. but memories of the art still chill and i'd really like to read it again, especially the story set on a film set where the devil was inadvertently summoned ... hmmm ... please?

The Wendigo!

TordelBack

glassstanley

Lot of love from me for this month's floppy. Whatever Happened To..? It's almost the perfect floppy - this would never be collected as a trade. Some top drawer talent - Mills, Grant, Weston - wrapped in a Robinson cover. It's what the floppy was made for!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: glassstanley on 16 September, 2017, 05:33:06 PM
Lot of love from me for this month's floppy. Whatever Happened To..? It's almost the perfect floppy - this would never be collected as a trade. Some top drawer talent - Mills, Grant, Weston - wrapped in a Robinson cover. It's what the floppy was made for!

Yeah and with the addition of the British Comics Treasury stuff that won't make trades the floppie has all of a sudden become essential reading!

hippynumber1

But I still wish Tharg would collect the rest of Finn, and Helltrekkers, and Tyranny Rex.

Geoff

Great floppy this month! As someone said above, it's what they're made for.

IndigoPrime

Helltrekkers was reprinted in the Magazine itself (218–223). If you're a really big fan, grab issue 54 of the Dredd partworks collection.

glassstanley

Definitely yes to Finn and Tyranny Rex.  I'd also be up for the Friday Rogue strips. These would need to be very occasional reprints, and be self-contained so they aren't dragged out for months like Harlem Heroes was. Stories are meh, but there's some good artwork in there. One a year wouldn't hurt to get the Fleisher stories out of the way.

I'd also like to see a new scan of Flesh Book One from the Progs rather than the annual reprints. Silent giant spiders creeping up on the rangers rather than hissing away.

IndigoPrime

I don't care for Finn at all, but figure it'd be decent floppy fodder. Tyranny Rex: yep. Although I'd dearly love that to be collected in full for the Ultimate Collection if that gets expanded. Friday Rogue: bleh. They were fairly awful, but there must be enough good stuff to fill a floppy or two if cherry picked.

The Adventurer

Anyone find it crazy they've been doing Floppy reprints for almost 10 years now? Amazing.

As for Tyranny Rex, isn't it mostly reprinted at this point? All the early stuff in the Extreme Edition 21. Floppy 366, 367, and 369 covered the rest.

I do wish Rebellion would do us a solid and release the Extreme Edition digitally. They were released in that 2003 to now window they focused their digital back catalog on. And its the only place stuff like The Dead, Revere, Bad City Blue, and Time Flies have been reprinted. And because of that, they are unlikely to be reprinted as floppies*.

*the fact that stuff like Lobster Random book 1 & The VCs Books 1-3 won't be reprinted in Floppies because they were previously reprinted. But don't have digital editions, is beyond frustrating.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

glassstanley

There's been a fairly continuous run of monthly reprints since the mid-80s, with the odd gap when the material was used to fill out the Megazine. So 10 years of floppy is is just a fraction!  But yes, it is quite an achievement and makes me feel old.

Given that the Best of Misty and Eagle lasted about 6 months each,it says something about the quality of the Progs, or the mentality of its readers :)

IndigoPrime

I don't know about reissuing the Extreme Editions digitally, but entire runs of stories might be a good shout. I suppose it depends on future plans, and estimates of how likely digital purchases of the more niche strips are likely to put off people from buying in print should the opportunity arise.