Main Menu

MEG 333 - THE BLACK SUNS RISES

Started by Buttonman, 16 February, 2013, 12:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

<SIGH>  No Dreddlines again and 18 pages of Reaper - If I wasn't a subber I may have thought twice about shelling out £5.60 for this.

Two Alan Grant Dredds, one with Anthony Williams and one a 'Lost case' with Karl Richardson.

Karl is also the subject of the interrogation and Hondo looks good.

I, Cosh

Double helping of Alan Grant penned Dredd this month. I found the plot of the lead strip slightly confused - is it mayor of the city or the block? - but it had a few decent jokes so it gets a pass. Not much to say about the Lost Case.

Hondo City Justice did indeed look nice. The last few outings for this have been frothy violence. I wonder if Morrison has plans to go anywhere with it in future.

Hopefully Troy Grenzer will kill American Reaper next month and it'll all be over.
We never really die.

Sidnny

I must admit, it took me a little while but I am getting into American Reaper. 

Both Dredd and Hondo City Justice were good this month.  Yep, there was a moment that I was a little confused about the mayor storyline.  :)

Reading comics since 1969.  My collections include:  Battle-Action, CLiNT, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy (1964-2012), Eagle (1950), Eagle (1982), Jet, Lion (1964-1974), The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Starblazer, Starlord, Thunder, Valiant and Warrior.

JUDGE BURNS

Don't you just love it when both your MEGAZINE arrives at the same time as your copy of 2000AD?

Will rant about the MEG later after I have had lunch.

HENRY FLINT cover.... awesome.

Art

We're not too kind about Crossed in the horror article. A good counterpoint to that is this podcast with Simon Spurrier and Kieron Gillen where Si makes some good points about what Crossed is up to and how it ticks:

http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/4672/decompressed-011-si-spurrier-on-crossed-with-you-were-here/

(I'd recommend the Decompressed podcast all around, but that one is particularly excellent. I would totally listen to a regular Kieron Gillen and Si Spurrier drink wine and chat about stuff show.)

Proudhuff

Quote from: JUDGE BURNS on 16 February, 2013, 02:01:44 PM
Don't you just love it when both your MEGAZINE arrives at the same time as your copy of 2000AD?

Not only that but the house to yourself and John Wagner in the afternoon and pub at night  :D

Reaper could have been compressed a bit, how many pages of talking heads? I think there is a fine story in there, but it suffers from over egging and the Curse of the Jackie Photostory!

!st Dredd slighty confused about which Mayor Block/City?... and is this Mayor cannon?

Strangely the hoverbikes in the Lost Files grated a bit and it was a smirky moment when later on Saturday Mr Wagner said the Hoverbikes in the 1st Dredd movie were a mistake

Text stuff fine, Hondo-cit great art, and happy to see advert for Insurrection  but no Dreddlines ? what is that Pailsey pie eater going to do between DVDs and lights out?
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: Art on 16 February, 2013, 03:38:45 PM
We're not too kind about Crossed in the horror article. A good counterpoint to that is this podcast with Simon Spurrier and Kieron Gillen where Si makes some good points about what Crossed is up to and how it ticks:

http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/4672/decompressed-011-si-spurrier-on-crossed-with-you-were-here/

(I'd recommend the Decompressed podcast all around, but that one is particularly excellent. I would totally listen to a regular Kieron Gillen and Si Spurrier drink wine and chat about stuff show.)

cheers Art, will  listen in asap
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

So that's five megazine readers here...
DDT did a job on me

Mabs

I'm sure we'll here from more readers, i'm not a subber unfortunately. Wednesday can't come quickly enough!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Hawkmumbler

I'm getting mine tommorrow. I'll post a full review at the weekend. ;)

mogzilla

staticgirl

I read it far too fast. The stories were fine but a bit... well they didn't make me work that hard. i did like the art in the Hondo City story though.

I enjoyed the trifecta chat and I don't think you were that hard on Crossed, Art. Mind you I think it's a horrible comic despite so many good people attached to it.

I always enjoy the creator interviews. I like to see the journeys they have taken to get where they are and read about some of their influences.

I really liked the floppy - A.H.A.B. It's another story I haven't read before and I thought it was clever and super well drawn.

Mabs

Quote from: Art on 16 February, 2013, 03:38:45 PM

Thanks for the link, Art. Some interesting stuff. Reading Crossed right now...hmmm. I always love Ennis' stuff but his anti-Christian anti-God sentiments tend to get in the way, just as 'Just A Pilgrim' did, which was enjoyable but ruined somewhat by his personal leanings, especially the last act. And just like that comic, the cross seems to be quite prevalent in this strip, whether as a symbol or storytelling tool. I'll just have to wait and see...

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Quote from: staticgirl on 21 February, 2013, 01:44:32 PM

I really liked the floppy - A.H.A.B. It's another story I haven't read before and I thought it was clever and super well drawn.

I really enjoyed A.H.A.B! Definitely one of the better floppies, and Richard Elson's artwork was superb. I loved his work on Kingdom, and A.H.A.B was in a similar vein. Lovely stuff.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

mogzilla

bit of a meh meg for me personally, liked ahab though! and i'll winge about the jackie american reaper even though it wont do any good... if this was in "normal" artwork instaed of the polaroids of his neighbors i might've given this a chance or even a read but it just leaves me cold and unintersted...hondo's good tho innit?