Main Menu

Preacher (TV Series)...

Started by Goaty, 18 November, 2013, 03:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

I quite enjoyed it - [spoiler]I guess Arseface has taken the John Wayne vision role - I wasn't sure about shifting him to be murderous rather than just the one who survived a suicide pact, and Jesse apparently killing that cop/security guard in the flashback.

Glad they're actually on the road now[/spoiler]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Steve Green on 04 August, 2016, 03:30:41 PM[spoiler]and Jesse apparently killing that cop/security guard in the flashback.
[/spoiler]

At least he's supposed to have been a bit of a bastard in the programme.  Garth Ennis had a flashback of a teenage (?) Jesse 'heroically' [spoiler]murdering slaughterhouse workers in droves to save horses' lives[/spoiler] (despite having earlier said that he'd never killed anyone ever before Cassidy's psychotic mate).

Arseface's father isn't half the bastard he is in the comics, on the other hand. Well, [spoiler]wasn't[/spoiler], at least.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

radiator

I prefer the way Jesse is characterised in the show, and find him to be a more interesting character.

As I said before, he really isn't fully formed in the comic when it begins. He starts out as kind of a smarmy sleazeball lowlife in the first few issues, then after his insanely overegged tragic backstory is revealed in flashback, he suddenly morphs into the perfect human specimen who is also the greatest fighter in the world who is always right about everything and whose only fault is that he's too noble and proud to let his girlfriend endanger herself.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: radiator on 04 August, 2016, 10:03:48 PM
I prefer the way Jesse is characterised in the show, and find him to be a more interesting character.

As I said before, he really isn't fully formed in the comic when it begins. He starts out as kind of a smarmy sleazeball lowlife in the first few issues, then after his insanely overegged tragic backstory is revealed in flashback, he suddenly morphs into the perfect human specimen who is also the greatest fighter in the world who is always right about everything and whose only fault is that he's too noble and proud to let his girlfriend endanger herself.

This. So very this.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Steve Green

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 August, 2016, 09:53:33 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 04 August, 2016, 03:30:41 PM[spoiler]and Jesse apparently killing that cop/security guard in the flashback.
[/spoiler]

At least he's supposed to have been a bit of a bastard in the programme.  Garth Ennis had a flashback of a teenage (?) Jesse 'heroically' [spoiler]murdering slaughterhouse workers in droves to save horses' lives[/spoiler] (despite having earlier said that he'd never killed anyone ever before Cassidy's psychotic mate).

Arseface's father isn't half the bastard he is in the comics, on the other hand. Well, [spoiler]wasn't[/spoiler], at least.

[spoiler]I was expecting Hugo to become less sympathetic, I guess he changed a little - but far away from the racist arsehole of the comic.

Regarding Jesse/Tall in the Saddle - I'm not sure if it was quite that clear-cut - I have it to hand - the texas ranger kills a couple, Jesse kills the one who blew Bobby's head off with a shotgun, Langtry gets his head stamped in from a horse ridden by Jesse - the Vichy hanging is the most cold-blooded murder, in that he's not in any danger.

So I wouldn't say it's droves of slaughterhouse workers.[/spoiler]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Steve Green on 04 August, 2016, 10:22:37 PM
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I was expecting Hugo to become less sympathetic, I guess he changed a little - but far away from the racist arsehole of the comic.

Regarding Jesse/Tall in the Saddle - I'm not sure if it was quite that clear-cut - I have it to hand - the texas ranger kills a couple, Jesse kills the one who blew Bobby's head off with a shotgun, Langtry gets his head stamped in from a horse ridden by Jesse - the Vichy hanging is the most cold-blooded murder, in that he's not in any danger.

Fair enough; my memory has failed me.  Happens more and more these days...

shaolin_monkey

I'm glad I gave up on the comics after about four graphic novels worth.  I love Steve Dillon's art, but just didn't really got on much with the characters or story.  Also, I read it such a long time ago I've forgotten most of it.

That means I went into this series with only the vaguest impressions of the original media, and I think I was the better for it.  I absolutely love this show, and my partner is also very enamoured by it.  We were both in stitches from laughing during [spoiler]that fight scene in the motel with the angels constantly reincarnating over and over. The payoff when the fight is over, the room littered with dismembered avatars, was just brilliant[/spoiler].  That's some of the funniest stuff on TV ever.

The whole show is littered with stuff like that, and the script was often very dry, droll, with throwaway one-liners and just generally witty stuff. 

Very entertaining indeed, and I look forward to the next series.

Steve Green

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 August, 2016, 10:42:28 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 04 August, 2016, 10:22:37 PM
[/spoiler]

Fair enough; my memory has failed me.  Happens more and more these days...

heh, I wouldn't have remembered if it wasn't floating around - all the others are packed away.

Mattofthespurs

I know the trailer for season 2 uses the same tecniques as Suicide Squad but it's a damn fine 30 seconds.
Cant wait for June 26th and a season of adapting the comic book as we know and love it.

Keef Monkey

Season 2 has started up on Amazon now (new episodes every Tuesday). Haven't had a chance to watch the new one yet though!

radiator

I feel very conflicted about Preacher, and still haven't finished season 1 yet...

I thought it started very strong and I really want it to be good - I love the cast and there are flashes of demented brilliance throughout, but.... to say it's first season was 'uneven' is putting it mildly.

I'm prepared to give season 2 a chance. The trailers look pretty amazing.

Mattofthespurs

I have watched the first two episodes of season 2 and it's a step up from season 1.
A pretty big step up imo.
I loved both episodes.
Big thumbs up from me.

DrRocka

Just realised all my review posts have been a bit negative lately, so I'd like to redeem myself by saying that I've seen the first three episodes of Preacher Season 2, and sweet drokk, is it a HUGE step up or what? I found the first series massively underwhelming , as a big fan of the comic, but hell, season 2 is way more where it's at.
Looking forward to each new episode now. Keep it up, folks, great viewing.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Keef Monkey

Yeah, I enjoyed season 1 but is does now feel like its main purpose was getting a load of stuff out the way so that season 2 could hit the ground running with all the madness and energy of the comics. Have watched the first 2 episodes and they're fantastic, episode 3 tonight!

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 05 July, 2017, 09:21:33 AM
Yeah, I enjoyed season 1 but is does now feel like its main purpose was getting a load of stuff out the way so that season 2 could hit the ground running with all the madness and energy of the comics. Have watched the first 2 episodes and they're fantastic, episode 3 tonight!

I can't imagine how many writers are crying at the thought of being allowed 10 hours of set up.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!