Main Menu

2000AD Lego builds

Started by ming, 10 February, 2014, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

"We've had a lot of mutant Halloweeners this year but you three are the BEST!"

I'm sure someone will remember where these characters appeared; the boys loved reading this story at the weekend and we had fun putting these together.

Halloween 2015 - Furz, Lefty and Fester.

Judge Nutmeg

fantastic, always loved these muties  :)

ming

Quote from: Judge Nutmeg on 04 September, 2017, 07:14:35 PM
fantastic, always loved these muties  :)

Thanks, Nutmeg - me too! 

That 1984 Dredd Annual is one I left lying around for the boys to take a look at recently; later I'll take a pic of the Slab Tynan and Dredd that they made as a result.  I don't expect them to do stuff like that but it's awesome to see this stuff firing their imagination.

ZenArcade

Oh Ming dude, you always hit the mark.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

ming

Quote from: ZenArcade on 06 September, 2017, 09:27:36 AMOh Ming dude, you always hit the mark.  Z

Thanks, Z.  Reading some old Annual stories, Oskar was really impressed by the Carlos's zoomed-in effect on the business end of Dredd's Lawgiver barrel, so that's the look he went for here.  Meanwhile, Feliks quietly trotted off then came back with this Slab Tynan.  I don't push them into doing stuff like this so it's all the more fantastic to see the Thrills rubbing off on them.

ming

Sat the boys down with a few more classics today (Judge Death, Apocalypse War, etc.) - just left the books lying around as usual and a short while later Oskar (soon seven) had cobbled together Dredd facing down a Sentinoid...  I love this stuff.

ming

Oh, my customers will be pleased... All my Brainblooms are ready for picking!

Don't know why I didn't think of this one sooner, but there we are.

(I was thinking of the original version of the Prog 18 cover by Don Lawrence here.)

JoFox2108

Quote from: ming on 04 September, 2017, 09:13:58 AM
"We've had a lot of mutant Halloweeners this year but you three are the BEST!"

I'm sure someone will remember where these characters appeared; the boys loved reading this story at the weekend and we had fun putting these together.

Halloween 2015 - Furz, Lefty and Fester.

Nice Job - they look great!
QuoteIt's all a deep end.

ming

Oskar was given one of those Lego Brickheadz for his birthday last week and it got me thinking...  I had a quick go at Mean Machine a couple of days ago then turned my attention to Rogue last night.  I love these - really simple but fun to do.  I'm constrained (as always) by the bricks I have to hand but these turned out okay and hopefully a couple more will follow (and there's room for improvement).  If I saw official versions of these I'd buy the crap of of 'em.

IndigoPrime

Those Mean arms are genius.

Colin YNWA

My son Sid has just said. (commenting on your last post and focusing on your avatar and 'stars')

"Why has he only got 4 stars Dad"

"What do you mean Sid?"

"Well that one " points to the Rogue Lego build "Is definately worth 5 stars"

High praise indeed and he was genuinely appalled you'd not got top marks for it as it clearly deserves it!

I think that's high praise indeed.

Dr Feeley Good

ming

Thanks folks!  Colin - that's pretty much the best feedback I could ever hope for  :D

I've got a few more to try and get done as and when the boys let me have the bricks I need; given an infinite supply of Lego I'd do these all day long.  Of all the 2000AD-related Lego things I've done these are definitely among the most enjoyable - and I'd think an official version of something like this would sell okay for a few main characters (but what do I know?).  Meanwhile, I finished off another one this morning, probably my favourite 2000AD Lego thing so far... 

Bolt-01

I love these- superb imagination.

ming

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 09 October, 2017, 09:55:28 AM
I love these- superb imagination.

Thanks, Bolt!  It says a lot about the strength of the design of a lot of 2000AD characters that I can boil them down to the essence in these fairly simple builds. 

There are some characters that are a bit hard to do since they'd be a bit generic-looking without some  really custom details (scrawler Chopper is doable but I'd want a 'Chopper' logo for the back) or that are just tricky for me to do well at this scale.  Dredd's the obvious one - hard to get a decent helmet done in a 4x4 Lego figure, let alone an eagle, badge, etc.  Still, I have a few more ideas that are probably doable so I'll tinker with some more when I get time.

The main thing is that they're fun to do and the boys are really loving these - the most enthusiastic about 2000AD characters I've seen them.  I planned to do a Tharg soon but Feliks and Oskar BOTH beat me to it...  I've got one more to show later - nearly finished but I'll post work-in-progress pics in a bit.