Main Menu

GOTHAM.

Started by strontium71, 12 February, 2014, 08:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

There was a fair bit of promo in London on posters/those LCD screens.

I'm waiting for it to show up on Netflix, without ads and better picture quality.

Goaty

Don't worry, Channel 5 still got it on demand, here's first episode;

http://www.channel5.com/shows/gotham/episodes/episode-1-882

Mardroid

Just saw it! Great episode. I didn't see that twist coming either. [spoiler]I was so sure he would become the Joker.

I was curious though, were they suggesting he was just an inspiration, or that some strange supernatural infection/possession through the TV sets was occurring? As we haven't actually seen much in the way of the actual supernatural in this show I would think it's the former, but the blind man's prophecy, and the strange way those people started laughing so maniacally on watching Jerome's footage, made me wonder.

Of course, there were only 2-3 people in those scenes from a highly populated city. Chances are they were already that way inclined in the first place and Jerome gave them a nudge on down their dark twisted roads..[/spoiler]

I bungled the first series, which was nice. Now I have to wait as broadcast, but that's no bad thing. Both have their pros and cons.

Goaty

That was great episode tonight, and finally [spoiler]for the Riddler[/spoiler] :)

The Enigmatic Dr X

Am I missing anything, missing this?
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 23 February, 2016, 09:33:44 AM

If you accept the fact it's got absolutely fuck-all to do with Batman, which you pretty much have to, then you suddenly find yourself asking "What's the point of this?"

I'm going to go with "No".

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 February, 2016, 09:40:37 AM

If you accept the fact it's got absolutely fuck-all to do with Batman, which you pretty much have to, then you suddenly find yourself asking "What's the point of this?"

I'm going to go with "No".

Cheers

Jim

That was my gut instict. Smallville without Superman is a soap
Lock up your spoons!

Zenith 666

Well if if it gets another 15 seasons we will get to see young bruce grow up get angry leave for ten years then come back a genius and an ass kicker and watch him become the Batman.

Dandontdare

Okay, it's pretty light on the actual bat-stuff, and young Bruce Wayne is an annoying little git, but everything else is really very good.

As the title suggests it's the story of Gotham, not Batman - Would you object to a series about the rise of Mega City One and how Fargo founded Justice Dept , even though Joe was still in a test tube or the academy?

It shows the endemic corruption and how one honest(ish) cop can survive and rise through the ranks, and it also shows how crime in Gotham began changing from regular gangsters to more colourful and crazy characters. Choosing Penguin as the main villain was a good move as he is always depicted as older than Batman and the other crazies, and is sort of a "missing link" between the mobsters and the costumed villains. Not to mention a fine performance from Robin Taylor. This season also shows one man's deliberate strategy to nurture a bunch of crazies to unleash a new type of crime-hell on Gotham.

Watching Edward Nygma moving from ineffectual but harmless wierdo to fully fledged psychopath is interesting; the whole proto-Joker stuff was very cleverly done and teen-Catwoman isn't too annoying.

Sean Pertwee makes a good Alfred, and whatsisface and his girlfriend are well cast as Jim Gordon and Dr Leslie Thompkins. We've also seen not-yet-poison Ivy, Detective Bullock, Lucius Fox and  few other minor characters.

I gave up on Smallville because it was indeed a teen romance soap with hints of Superman, but this is more of a good noir crime thriller, with hints of Batman.

Proudhuff

depends if your a Batfreak or not?
I've always struggled with the: poor little rich boy grows-up and buys all the gadgets and a rubber suit and goes out beating the shit out of anyone he deems to be a fancydress villain...

So the whole second series 'rise of to villains' is more interesting, colourful and nuanced that the majority of Battyman's back catalogue....for me  :D
So what it's like most TV: a soap in disguise, but one with some humour, darkness and outright whacky surroundings. The playing out of the nature/nurture, the insidious moral ambiguity of doing a deal with the devil and all the other subplots adds to the fun, meanwhile Bruce Wayne as laddie character is the weakest link in the series only saved by young Pertwee's Alfred's gruning. But its not really about Batty its about Gotham.

Give it a go, at worst you can play: 'oh look there's em, thingy who was in erm, you you know, the spy/police thing' for most of the episode.   

DDT did a job on me

NapalmKev

Gotham is excellent, far better than the pretty-boy Borefest that is Agents of Shat. Even Heroes Reborn is better despite the lacklustre final episode.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 February, 2016, 01:42:33 PM
As the title suggests it's the story of Gotham, not Batman - Would you object to a series about the rise of Mega City One and how Fargo founded Justice Dept , even though Joe was still in a test tube or the academy?

I wonder if the executive producer could be convinced to create a Dredd-based production?

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: sheridan on 12 January, 2017, 01:18:30 AM

I wonder if the executive producer could be convinced to create a Dredd-based production?

This, this now!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JamesC

I can answer this for you with 99.9% certainty.
- No.

GordonR

You mean Gotham executive producer (and also director of a couple of episodes) Danny Cannon?

Yes, I bet he's just begging to return to the IP that pretty much killed his film career.