Main Menu

General feelings on IDW's Dredd

Started by Alfaro, 15 March, 2014, 02:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Quote from: Apestrife on 21 March, 2014, 06:28:36 AM
In the latest Meg they say that IDW (in an interview) will release a short series with Anderson. If it's on par with the other Dredd shorts (or the recent Rogue Trooper) then I'm all for it :)

Yeah, I read that too!
Can't wait!   :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Bat King

The Tresasury Edition they brought out is brilliant.

I review more IDW comics now as I'm on their Media list. I don't read everything as I don't have the time. I still read their ongoing Dredd.

If you look on my Blog you'll see reviews of Judge Dredd Year One, Mars Attacks Judge Dredd, Mega City 2 (I'm an issue behind), Rogue Trooper and others. You won't see their ongoing Dredd - I'll be blunt, they need a new writer.

In almost every other case I like the writing of everything I read from them. Yes there are cases where I think they could tighten up the plot or they could have told the reader more. But that's the case with any publishing house and other readers may well disagree with me.

Gateway is one example of a story I'm really enjoying. The art isn't brilliant, I read 2000AD so I have high expectations, it is acceptable and there are some great panels among the average. Perhaps transitions are a weak point too on reflection, I'll look for that in the next issue. But the writing is great.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

judda fett

Really enjoyed Year One, the regular title hasn't quite grabbed me um afraid. Tried it from the beginning but only pick it up now if I'm flush or there's a good McCarthy cover. The odd bit of internal art or back up story has been okay-ish but I couldn't remember any if asked to recall. New Rogue seems good so far, not tried Sin Dex yet. MC 2 has been good though and I'm waiting for the collected Mars Attacks.

Spikes

Year One is really rather good, and if you've not read it yet, then I highly recommend it.

I'm hoping the same team will be returning to give us some more, at some point......?

The Mars Attacks mini-series I wasn't initially going to bother with, but im glad I did. A different kettle of fish to Year One, but well worth tracking down. I've yet to buy MC2, but folks seem to like it?

Other than that, IDW's Dredd output seems a bit woeful. The on-going series is not my cuppa, and the recoloured Apocalypse War series was riddled with errors. Bit shocking, that last one.

Still, they all seem to be selling well..

8-Ball

I wouldn't pay any money for IDW's monthly Judge Dredd title but if the Americans are willing to then fair play to them. It is a different (if maddeningly similar) culture and what is satire to me is just reality to them. I guess you have to put a different spin on it to differentiate it from all the other funny books with gruff gun-toting psychos on the the racks. I might despair at meat grinder approach to continuity or bang my head off the keyboard of my laptop the sight of the new Dark Judges but it is not as if they have supplanted the "proper" ones.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Apestrife

Quote from: Spikes on 21 March, 2014, 06:09:12 PMOther than that, IDW's Dredd output seems a bit woeful. The on-going series is not my cuppa, and the recoloured Apocalypse War series was riddled with errors. Bit shocking, that last one.

What kind of errors? Haven't read any of the classic JD since it haven't been made available digitally. Been asking IDW alot to release those on comixology, but gotten no replies.

Frank

Quote from: Apestrife on 23 March, 2014, 08:56:05 AM
What kind of errors?

Reproducing the pages in letterbox format, for one.

COMMANDO FORCES

Pages out of order, with some missing and overlaying images on top of the main strip. All in all quite terrible really :lol:

Molch-R

Quote from: Apestrife on 23 March, 2014, 08:56:05 AM
Been asking IDW alot to release those on comixology, but gotten no replies.

IDW doesn't have a license for digital releases of material we already offer digitally.

SmallBlueThing

My feelings on the main Dredd title tally pretty much with everyone else's.  It picked up a bit in the run-inup to the current Death arc, but the most recent ish was a pretty poor show. At best, it's like a Saturday morning kids version of dredd, and tolerable for that.

The mini series on the other hand, have been excellent. I reread both Yr One and Mars Attacks this week, and both are completely prog-worthy, as you'd expect from the creators involved. I'm not sold on City of Courts, so far finding it confusing and uninspired. But the crab cover for #3 is glorious, so we will give it the benefit of the doubt in honour of my crustacean chums.

Rogue #1 was promising, and we'll see how it pans out over the coming months.

Not impressed by the Classic comic- the reproduction is way too small and I understand the hardback will be the same size, with aa larger black and white edition forthcoming, which seems to me to be spectacularly missing the point.

So more misses than hits for me so far, but hopefully it's early days. The SiniDex reprints are fun, and if it weren't for the inherent horror of the idea of a SiniDex written by someone other than abnett, I'd hope this was popular enough to spawn an original series.

SBT

Apestrife

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 23 March, 2014, 10:36:11 AM
Pages out of order, with some missing and overlaying images on top of the main strip. All in all quite terrible really :lol:

Sounds it matches the covers (wonder what went wrong with those...) then. A shame. Bloc Mania and Apocalypse war deserves better.

Quote from: Molch-R on 23 March, 2014, 02:20:31 PM
IDW doesn't have a license for digital releases of material we already offer digitally.

Okay, makes sense!

Spikes

COMMANDO FORCES

Spikes

Bat King

Underbelly was 2000AD's first US format comic.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex