Main Menu

Prog 1980 - They've got the whole world in their hands....

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 May, 2016, 11:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

The Prog wobbles a little on its road to recovery. Dredd however holds its ground, while showing its hand and its a great reveal at the end. This story has been a beaut and more and more I'm convinced I know who will be offed and I for one will miss her (or am I being led down that path deliberately?)

Survival Geeks continues to be this series at its best, which while that's not saying much is at least saying something.

Both Slaine and Brink are a little info dump in. Pat Mills uses Slaine in the same way he has before and uses a common trick in the strip of having his preaching delievered while trying to entertain us with some lovely visuals of a big fight. Its getting quite tired and dull BUT at least it has an actual turn of events at the end. Abnett does his info dumping with some nice dialogue, cute character interaction and back and forth. Its therefore much, much much more entertaining and allows Culbard to do some lovely character work both in the foreground and the background. Its also nice they way they weave in some set up, well I assume. Wonderfully 'dull' stuff.

Tainted try to give us some star turns, but I'm no more impressed alas.

So with the down turn in Slaine the Prog takes dip, but its slight and nothing to worry about.

I, Cosh

Gah! The first time in ages I've had the opportunity and beaten to the punch by a Colin.

Cover: Langley. Dark Judges. Interesting that his Mortis seems to be based on the Tales of Deadworld version.

Dredd: Arf!
Geeks: Larf!
Slaine: Dwarf?
Brink: Not arf!
Tainted: Barf!

Dredd and Brink growing on me, everything else alright.
We never really die.

Eamonn Clarke

Cover posted at the Southern Contingent invasion of free comic book day at Orbital comics. Well the pub actually.

CalHab

Is it just me that finds it impossible to tell what's going on in the artwork on Slaine?

Magnetica

Just read Dredd.

Oh.

My.

Goodness.

[spoiler]Well I knew someone had Dredd, just didn't expect it to be Brit Cit.[/spoiler]

Bad City Blue

The Prog's a bit of a slog after Dredd and the very entertaining Geeks.

Slaine is a whole lot of waffle, Brink is even wafflier with Tainted dull as heck for such a subject.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Echidna

Terrific cover, although Death's visor hits my if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it button.

Dredd provoked a sigh of relief/delight/disappointment - I'm not sure which, probably all three. Like Colin, I'm starting to worry about [spoiler]Hershey[/spoiler]...

New thrll Brnk continues to impress. How many sci-fi police procedurals would devote two and a half pages to a discussion of organic food? Not sure how this will go down with other readers but I thought it was a lot of fun. I was pleased to note that the printing errors of the last two episodes (where the tails of the little info-boxes were all but invisible)have been fixed.

Still enjoying Survival Geeks and Tainted - loved Kendall's designs for the not-quite-fully-corrupted Dark Judges.

Meanwhile Slaine and Gort punch each other for six pages while the baddies say Obey as a dead body obeys over and over again. Eventually Gort decides to stop punching. Would have been over a lot quicker if Slaine had remembered to say Klaatu Barada Nikto. Lovely art though.

Best line of the week: "I have never knowingly eaten a radish."

Frank

Quote from: Echidna on 07 May, 2016, 05:01:10 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 May, 2016, 11:37:31 AM
I'm convinced I know who will be offed and I for one will miss [spoiler]her[/spoiler] (or am I being led down that path deliberately?)

Like Colin, I'm starting to worry about [spoiler]Hershey[/spoiler] ... Best line of the week: "I have never knowingly eaten a radish."

Haha!  I'm not sure Mike Carroll has ever said he was going to kill a character. He warned that people were going to hate him when they read what he'd done; it now seems clear he meant the Dredd [spoiler]fakeout[/spoiler] (24 min 15s, here).

COMMANDO FORCES' excited thread title and John Wagner's unequivocal declaration that he's going to kill off a major character seem to have become entangled in our tiny minds like the limbs of guests at David Furnish's parties.

Judging by what PJ Holden says here (24min 50s), what Carroll has planned for [spoiler]Hershey[/spoiler] and the story is more clever and interesting than just killing [spoiler]her[/spoiler]. Alternative cover line for this week's prog - GWAR: what is it good for?

jannerboyuk

Love that cover! Just moved so going to miss this one from my sub, so waiting until Wednesday for once!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Butch on 07 May, 2016, 06:12:27 PM
Quote from: Echidna on 07 May, 2016, 05:01:10 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 May, 2016, 11:37:31 AM
I'm convinced I know who will be offed and I for one will miss [spoiler]her[/spoiler] (or am I being led down that path deliberately?)

Like Colin, I'm starting to worry about [spoiler]Hershey[/spoiler] ... Best line of the week: "I have never knowingly eaten a radish."

Haha!  I'm not sure Mike Carroll has ever said he was going to kill a character. He warned that people were going to hate him when they read what he'd done; it now seems clear he meant the Dredd [spoiler]fakeout[/spoiler] (24 min 15s, here).

COMMANDO FORCES' excited thread title and John Wagner's unequivocal declaration that he's going to kill off a major character seem to have become entangled in our tiny minds like the limbs of guests at David Furnish's parties.

He better bloomin' well kill someone AND someone to make us all miserable or there's going to be hell to pay. I mean after all this fuss if some muthafo don't die I'm going to be mad... and for reasons other than being mad cos some muthafo died.

I'M DEMAND DEATH BASED MISERY!

ThryllSeekyr

I finally get to read both this weeks and last weeks Prog tonight. Not sure if I will order the paper-copies yet though.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Tainted is the best thing in the Prog and has been for some time. Dredd's a bit meh until we move onto the bigger plot. And Slaine manages the pardoxical combination of being all action, but terribly dull.
Lock up your spoons!

JUDGE BURNS

No prog here in cal had sector , Ayrshire...GAIN !!!

JUDGE BURNS

whoops spellcheck is bad today.    No prog here in Cal-Hab sector Ayrshire , AGAIN !!!!