Main Menu

Rebellion To Reprint The Last American

Started by JOE SOAP, 16 November, 2016, 12:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPP

Id put a bet that the background art in the advert was Ted McKeever who was doing Plastic Forks for Epic at the same time and the go to guy for a murkier take on Sienkiewicz at the time (there really weren't many folk producing art that looked that way color wise at the time).
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Tony Angelino

It could have been Ted McKeever. The other two I was thinking of were Jon J Muth or Kent Williams who had illustrated the Havok and Wolverine Meltdown series for Epic (albeit a few years earlier).

Timothy

My book arrived v quickly - and it's a joyous thing - but there is no sign of the bookplate or print yet. Should I be concerned?

Timothy

Although on a positive note Luke Kirby turned up this morning.

SALMON63

My new signed and numbered colour print has arrived!

3/250

An accompanying letter suggests I write this numbering on my bookplate which I've still not adhered to the book! :)

Adrian

Tjm86

Wondered when these would start to turn up.  So they aren't sending out replacement bookplates?  Makes sense I suppose.  I'd have just ended up sticking in my comix edition which I'm hanging onto for the expanded illustration gallery at the back.

Tjm86

... and my print was waiting for me when I got home.  Tidy.  It is not the same as the original print which shouldn't come as a surprise but somehow does.  So actually we've ended up with two signed prints.  One of the cover, one of the last page of the series.  Rather civilised way of making up for a balls up.

Darren Stephens

Got mine today, too. Very nice it is, too.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

jacob g

And now I have two prints, bookplate, printed apology and still no comic book, heh ;)
margaritas ante porcos

Timothy

I now have the full package - number 111 for those keeping count - and it is lovely. Out of curiosity does anybody know why this book has a barcode? I had assumed that it was for stock control purposes, but it seems that it is not unique to the hardback (scanning on the Amazon app brings up the paperback) and so would be of limited stock control use. Also, the Luke Kirby hardback has no barcode. Any ideas to satisfy a curious mind?

Tomwe

Ok, me and my mates are reading this book right now and I was wondering how it came about, especially at Epic. So many 2000AD artists and writers ended up at Vertigo at the time but this one went 'across the street'. I had a fuzzy memory of either Mick or Wagner talking about this on the Thrillcast but have struggled to find anything. Does anyone have an answer for me?
Cheers!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tomwe on 15 July, 2017, 07:08:49 PM
Ok, me and my mates are reading this book right now and I was wondering how it came about, especially at Epic. So many 2000AD artists and writers ended up at Vertigo at the time but this one went 'across the street'. I had a fuzzy memory of either Mick or Wagner talking about this on the Thrillcast but have struggled to find anything. Does anyone have an answer for me?
Cheers!

Because Last American was published in 1990 and Vertigo didn't exist until 1993?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tomwe

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 July, 2017, 07:50:34 PM
Quote from: Tomwe on 15 July, 2017, 07:08:49 PM
Cheers!

Because Last American was published in 1990 and Vertigo didn't exist until 1993?

Alright, sematics aside, it didn't end up a Berger Book like Sandman, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing. All being made by UK writers poached by DC. Maybe the Creator Owned angle was stronger at Epic at the time.

Steven Sterlacchini

Didn't Marshal Law originally appear via Epic as well?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tomwe on 15 July, 2017, 08:42:17 PM

Alright, sematics aside, it didn't end up a Berger Book like Sandman, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing. All being made by UK writers poached by DC. Maybe the Creator Owned angle was stronger at Epic at the time.

For fuck's sake. That's not 'semantics'. The publisher you mention didn't EXIST until three years after the book was published.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.