Main Menu

travel advice?

Started by mimikeke, 15 December, 2016, 02:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mimikeke

Hi!

I'll be visiting for about 1.5 weeks in Feb for the 40th Anniversary, I'd appreciate any advice on places to go, restaurants/pubs to visit, etc.  I'm aware it's school vacation week while I'll be there but it doesn't seem like it should affect it too much?

I'm most interested in seeing nature/castles/ancient looking stuff (lol) but obviously w the weather and time of year some places are out. I'm thinking of spending half time in London w a few day trips elsewhere, stop by in York, end in Edinburgh? Is Edinburgh too far (maybe take a early train or sleeper)? I'm literally overwhelmed reading about places to go...

I don't think it's probably smart to rent a car around w chance of inclement weather so probably any suggestions will need to be along the train/public transport. I'm totally able to have fun even in freezing rain so as long as it's not me falling off an icy cliff, suggestions for outdoor activities in miserable weather is okay :D

The Enigmatic Dr X

Edinburgh is a four and a half hour train ride away. You should look to book tickets now, if you are doing that, as the prices rise quickly around the travel date. A return (now) should be around £60 but would be around £90 in February.

My best advice is this: Seen one castle, seen them all, frankly. But YMMV. Tower Bridge is fun and you can see the crown jewels.

EDIT: Glasgow is far better than Edinburgh.
Lock up your spoons!

GordonR

QuoteEDIT: Glasgow is far better than Edinburgh

SUPER-EDIT: Not if you're a tourist from overseas, it's not.

Steve Green

General dealing with trains advice...

Train travel on the day/open tickets more expensive + peak travel times during day hard to find out when it stops (9:30 usually in London)

If you can, book a specific train - also look into split ticketing, where you can get a journey split between two destinations along the route, sometimes works out cheaper still.

https://raileasy.trainsplit.com/main.aspx

If you do go the open return route, you can break journeys (at least I have on GWR, which serves London to the West and Wales), where you can stop off at a location on the way, then continue to your eventual destination.

At the moment, there is a long running strike going on with Southern which serves the south coast out of London Victoria, (they've not been running at all 3 days this week)

So could be dicey if that's still not sorted by Feb.

You can't pay by cash on a bus in London.

London currently uses contactless cards called Oysters, which you top up with money or travel passes on them, and the capital is split into zones.

You can also use contactless on debit cards, but not sure how that works with non-UK cards.

In London and areas.

Richmond Park is nice

Greenwich Observatory and around there

The Walkie Talkie at Fenchurch St has a free skygarden viewing area (need to book though)

The view from the Shard at London Bridge has great views, but you need to pay for that, there's also a bar a couple of floors below that, which I managed to get into without paying...

IndigoPrime

Possible day trip, depending on travel arrangements/possibilities: Stonehenge and then Salisbury (beautiful place, and a copy of the Magna Carta in the cathedral). I see a few places do day trips that encompass Stonehenge, Bath and Windsor, which if you've the money and inclination would be good as well.

A US friend who's big into old things also enjoyed Hampton Court, and wanted to spent a year in the British Museum. (Alas, he only had most of a day there.)

CalHab

Quote from: GordonR on 15 December, 2016, 08:02:29 AM
QuoteEDIT: Glasgow is far better than Edinburgh

SUPER-EDIT: Not if you're a tourist from overseas, it's not.

With the right guide and if you know where you're going, Glasgow is great fun and a fascinating city. It can also be the worst city in Europe if go to the wrong places.

Edinburgh is a better bet for tourists.

Pyroxian

London Museums - Natural History (The Cathedral of Science!), Science Museum (Babbage's brain in a jar!), V&A are all very close. You can do them in a day, although if it's school holidays the NH will be packed (esp. the Dinosaurs) - I suggest going in at around 4-4.30, as most families will have gone home by now.

The British Museum (Rosetta stone, Mummies!) is also worth a visit

Oxford's about a 1hr train journey / 2hr bus journey (Oxford Tube is very reasonably priced) away.

inkymonkey

Useful topic, I'm flying in for ten days myself and probably should've thought to ask advice here on the forum as well. Not usually a great fan of doing touristy things, but I might make a few exceptions while in London.

Must do more research on the trains, got to get down to Eastbourne and Maidstone on separate trips. I'm going to be staying in Paddington for the week before the 40th shindig, so hopefully that's a good central point for hopping around the place...

Steve Green

Can recommend travel apps use these on iOS, not sure about android etc.

National Rail app

Citymapper covers London and other cities

Bus London

Think it's London Victoria for Maidstone and Eastbourne

Theblazeuk

Orbital Comics near Tottenham Court Garden has some great old progs in the collector's shelves :P

Bolt-01

They also sell a huge range of small press including copies of Zarjaz & Dogbreath.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Steve Green on 15 December, 2016, 12:50:20 PM
Can recommend travel apps use these on iOS, not sure about android etc.
Also, while you perhaps shouldn't rely solely on it, Google Maps covers the bulk of the UK train network well, and sometimes even comes up with routes the national rail apps won't (probably because of variance in the time deemed necessary to make changes). Also: make use of the Google Maps offline mode, to save a map of London without having to chomp through your data.

Theblazeuk

While in London, use the app CityMapper. Buses, trains, trams, tubes, taxis, bicycle, bike hire, etc etc all visible and easy to use (with an offline Tube map available too). Even shows you the various prices.

Don't get a day or weekly travel card get an oyster or use your contactless card.

Dandontdare

It's great you can make it!

If you wish to visit a modern British city that's far more friendly and welcoming than London, come to Manchester! (although York is pretty nice I must admit)

As for London, I think that the major attractions - Tower of London, Madame Tussauds etc are a bit over-hyped and expensive, not to mention loooooong queues, but most museums and galleries are free - the British Museum is my favourite - the entire history of world civilisation under one roof.

Camden is always a good place to go for a drink and to laugh at hipsters and wannabe counterculture rebels with stupid haircuts shopping for bongs and trying to look cool - loads of good pubs such as the Hawley Arms (Amy Winehouse's old regular haunt) as well as a decent comic shop - Mega City Comics.

Not surprisingly the most beautiful countryside is the most remote - Devon & Cornwall, the Scottish Highlands etc - but if you're in York, The Yorkshire Dales are stunning too - rolling hills, loads of nice country pubs, great for short or long walks (but a good chance of rain/snow in Feb). From Edinburgh, you've got Fife to the NE and the Borders area to the South and West.

And yes, book train tickets as far in advance as you can. Just done a sample search and a single from London to Edinburgh travelling today would be £141.50; but if booked today for travel mid-Feb same ticket is £47.50

Grugz

bugger that lot for suggestions, come to Leyland i'll make you a proper brew and a chip butty (French fry sandwich) in return for some fancy nail art for the wife and lass.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html