Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Craft Beer  (Read 1261 times)

Mikey

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • Science fan
    • View Profile
Re: Craft Beer
« Reply #15 on: 19 February, 2017, 10:17:20 am »
I always joke that I liked craft beers when they were called real ales, but I understand craft beers to mean small scale breweries right enough. The whole craft beer thing has been great for getting good beers more widely available than ever.

When I started drinking, 'real' beers were nigh on non existent in Norn Iron though brown keg stuff like Bass and Smithwicks were readily available. I inevitably graduated to drinking Guinness (none of that chilled gubbins mind) which gave me a taste for bitter drinks. When a Tesco finally opened where I live and Wheterspoons arrived, at last I could get some good beer near enough when I wanted.

Anyhoo, the local breweries (Belfast Brewery, Hildens and the Whitewater Brewery) can produce decent pints but I find in bottles they all have the same unpleasant aftertaste so I tend to avoid them. Recently I've been enjoying stuff from the Boyne Brewery, especially their Pagan's Pillar which is a good copper ale.

I could go on for quite some time about beer, including illustrations. I regularly get mixed boxes of beers delivered and I usually take a pic of them and post my 'review' on me Facebook ☺️ Of the breweries mentioned above, I've enjoyed stuff from Siren and Great North but two of the best I've had have been a saison from the Bad Seed brewery and a Russian Imperial Stout by Black Sheep. I generally like everything from both of them that I've had as well as Stone and Whychwood (Hobgoblin was my first real beer!) and last night I was drinking Theakston's Old Peculiar.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

JLC

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 June, 2017, 09:04:25 pm »
I went to the Northern Monk Co. Brewery couple days ago, same cracking beers in their tap room.

Eric Plumrose

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 June, 2017, 07:00:38 am »
I've been working my way through a few of Siren Crafts beers. Broken Dream is lovely.

Ooh, yiss. There's a Craft Pub just off Covent Garden. A pint of Broken Dream made for a very nice lunchless breakfast last Thursday afternoon.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

CalHab

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 June, 2017, 08:06:28 am »
I had a bottle of Wild Beer Co's Wild Goose Chase last night with my curry and it was excellent. That brewery seems to produce consistently wonderful beers.

CalHab

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 June, 2017, 08:06:47 am »

Theblazeuk

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 June, 2017, 03:12:49 pm »
For the last few weeks you can get the 660ml Punk IPA bottles by BrewDog at the bargain price of 3 for £5 from that most accessible of supermarkets, Tesco. Even the Express ones.

And lo, a saving of over a £5 on big old bottles of nice beer. Good whilst it lasts.

JLC

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 June, 2017, 07:38:10 pm »
Well, I think its the begininng of the end for Brewdog...

Zarjazzer

• So the devil wants me meaner...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 June, 2017, 02:10:02 pm »
The Cask in Pimlico has plenty of craft and other beers, some quite lethal some towards 11% ouch. I like Barnsley bitter there and they used to have Dark Star ales haven't been for a while alas.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Theblazeuk

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 June, 2017, 10:10:43 am »
Love the Cask. Great, fine beers and lovely burgers & fries.

sheridan

• View Profile
    • Wilde Wood
« Reply #24 on: 27 June, 2017, 12:44:29 pm »
The Cask in Pimlico has plenty of craft and other beers, some quite lethal some towards 11% ouch. I like Barnsley bitter there and they used to have Dark Star ales haven't been for a while alas.

Had to double-check if it was the one I thought it was - it was: '8 minutes walk from work'.

Zarjazzer

• So the devil wants me meaner...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 June, 2017, 09:21:34 pm »

Had to double-check if it was the one I thought it was - it was: '8 minutes walk from work'.

Just don't drink the Biscotti (stout 11.5%) at lunchtime! I learned the hard way...  :|
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 June, 2017, 10:41:32 pm »
I'm drinking a pint of McGargle's Pale Ale as I type.  It's brewed only a mile or two down the road.  Lovely crisp beer for a summer's evening.
“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

Mardroid

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 June, 2017, 10:42:25 am »
I didn't realise they even brewed beer at 11%.

When I see beers 3 to 4% I think "hmm that's strong" (likely pouring it down my gullet shortly after. Okay that's an exaggeration. ) I saw one advertised as 5% the other day and thought,  "wow". (I didn't have any. I don't think it was available just then. Sometimes they prepare the taps with "available soon".)

I see what a naive lightweight I actually am.

I realise my post makes it appear that I choose beers according to high alcohol content. Not true. Honest. Well, I not entirely true. I like to try brews I haven't had before, usually ales and the like, and those figures come with them.

CalHab

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 June, 2017, 12:22:02 pm »
Like you, I keep an eye on ABVs and this often leads me to tend towards "session" beers of 2-3.5%, so that I can enjoy a couple on a weekday evening. A strong beer is nice once in a while, but some pubs only seem to stock that stuff.

Dandontdare

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 June, 2017, 01:19:30 pm »
I tend to find 3.8% to be the lowest available in most places. One local brewery that services a couple of my favourite pubs (Chorlton Tap and the Knott Bar) has 3 pale ales at 3.8%, 4.6% and 5.0%, called very simply 38, 46 and 50. It's the same very nice brew, you just get to choose your strength depending on whether it's a pint with lunch or a Friday blow-out!