Main Menu

GRIM RUMOURS ABOUT NEW STAR TREK:DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 03 March, 2017, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreddzilla

It's not public yet, but I'm getting word the Khan Prequel idea is dead in space. Effectively all prequel ideas are dead from this point forward.

Dandontdare

shouldn't that be "from this point backwards"?  :D

JLC

Quote from: Dreddzilla on 29 August, 2017, 08:43:08 PM
It's not public yet, but I'm getting word the Khan Prequel idea is dead in space. Effectively all prequel ideas are dead from this point forward.
Where are you getting word from?

Professor Bear

From The Street, Daddio.

Regardless of the end quality, they'll need 9 million Americans to sign up to the streaming channel just to cover the cost of the show, so I assume this has killed any sort of follow-up, and not just prequels - plus the rights split means they can't do anything set after TOS, anyway, so that's every option shagged, surely? 
If they do make a new Star Trek, it'll have to be something that CBS is capable of delivering, which means it would be a police procedural set in a city with generous tax breaks for out-of-state film crews.  How's about: Gary Seven investigating murders in Detroit with his (all-Caucasian) team of ex-military servicemen and/or undercover cops who finally have to ride a desk and play by the man's rules and regulations, creating Dramatic Tension.  BOSH.
Call me, CBS.  We'll talk numbers.

Actually, they could just have Scott Bakula's character in NCIS New Orleans reveal he's really Captain Archer who got lost in time between seasons of Enterprise and has been posing as a white police officer in an alternate 21st century New Orleans - trust me, if NCIS viewers haven't given a single fuck about what's onscreen after 15 years, this turn of events certainly won't bother them.

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Professor Bear

I'm more interested in knowing how they plan to pay for it, but sure, I totally believe they'd come right out and say "HO BOY we misjudged this and now we need 10 million Americans to forget they can download this for free and pay for an annual subscription to a streaming service that only offers one show" if that was actually what was happening.

I note they're back to saying this is set in the Prime timeline, too.  And that they've dropped the anthology angle yet again.

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Professor Bear

"Our barometer of success is not how many people watch or like it" is an interesting take for a producer to have.

blackmocco

Quote from: Professor Bear on 16 August, 2017, 01:23:59 PM
The series is now promoted as being set in an alternate reality to TOS and NuTrek, but up until a few weeks ago was promoted as being set in the original timeline.

I haven't seen or heard that anywhere. The show is still being promoted as set in the prime timeline in everything I've read, right up to now.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

blackmocco

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 August, 2017, 02:18:02 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 19 August, 2017, 01:20:13 PM
I think it was originally meant to be part of the original series timeline, but then when potential continuity issues cropped up, figured "let's say it's another timeline so we can do what we want'.

The producers gave little indication that they were concerned with continuity issues, while Midnight's Edge reported that the producers had issued interview directions to cast and crew that "The Original Timeline will be cited for promotional purposes."  it was probably an early decision to do a complete reboot rather than a change in direction that was forced upon them.

Midnight Edge's feature on the show is full of dubious and seriously (unnecessarily venomous too, I thought) unsubstantiated claims. Wouldn't believe much of it.

Getting cautiously excited for this now. Hope it's good. Fuller's not attached anymore but I trust him when it comes to Trek and they're still using the bare bones of what he came up with. I'd expect a little retconning, but I also expect it to loosely fit into place. Can't seriously expect a show made fifty years later to resemble one from 1966 in look, style or storytelling. The Spock stepsister thing's a bit of a stretch but if it's ten years before, Spock's already out on the Enterprise with Pike. I suppose it's conceivable as he's estranged from Sarek, this is all stuff he may not be too aware of. I dunno. Have a feeling I may have to watch this with blinkers on, but if it's solid, I'll be forgiving. If it's shite... well.

And yes, CBS'll be getting my money. Fuck it. It's a new Trek show. Not waiting six months to watch it on Netflix. $10 a month for four episodes. Not exactly breaking the bank.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

blackmocco

Quote from: Professor Bear on 29 August, 2017, 11:44:00 PM
From The Street, Daddio.

Regardless of the end quality, they'll need 9 million Americans to sign up to the streaming channel just to cover the cost of the show, so I assume this has killed any sort of follow-up, and not just prequels - plus the rights split means they can't do anything set after TOS, anyway, so that's every option shagged, surely? 
If they do make a new Star Trek, it'll have to be something that CBS is capable of delivering, which means it would be a police procedural set in a city with generous tax breaks for out-of-state film crews.  How's about: Gary Seven investigating murders in Detroit with his (all-Caucasian) team of ex-military servicemen and/or undercover cops who finally have to ride a desk and play by the man's rules and regulations, creating Dramatic Tension.  BOSH.
Call me, CBS.  We'll talk numbers.

Actually, they could just have Scott Bakula's character in NCIS New Orleans reveal he's really Captain Archer who got lost in time between seasons of Enterprise and has been posing as a white police officer in an alternate 21st century New Orleans - trust me, if NCIS viewers haven't given a single fuck about what's onscreen after 15 years, this turn of events certainly won't bother them.

Show's budget is already paid for via the deal with Netflix.

From wikipedia:
"CBS Studios International licensed the series to Netflix for release outside the United States and Canada, a "blockbuster" deal that paid for the show's entire budget. At around $6–7 million per episode, the series' high allowance was attributed to the importance of Star Trek as one of CBS's "crown-jewel franchises", and CBS's need for the series to be "the marquee selling point for subscriptions" to All Access."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

blackmocco

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

JOE SOAP

Quote from: blackmocco on 09 September, 2017, 01:00:45 AMMidnight Edge's feature on the show is full of dubious and seriously (unnecessarily venomous too, I thought) unsubstantiated claims. Wouldn't believe much of it.

Midnight's Edge videos are a collation of every internet rumour put in a blender. It's goes no deeper than a web-search.

Professor Bear

Pretty much all fan reaction vids are going by scuttlebutt in the tried and tested tradition of tabloid muckraking, but it is interesting how many of the negative vids on Youtube CBS are slapping with takedown notices (only for them to go right back up again with any footage from the Discovery trailer removed).

Quote from: blackmocco on 09 September, 2017, 01:14:44 AMShow's budget is already paid for via the deal with Netflix.

As discussed at length several pages back.

However, for CBS to go it alone in funding a sequel series - which was the thrust of my hilarious NCIS skit which you quote in full - they'll have to accept streaming as a loss leader for at least the next 5-10 years as Netflix have and consequently eat a $100-$150 million loss on a yearly basis for new seasons of Discovery, or they'll have to convince 9-10 million Americans to sign up to All Access just to watch STD so the network can fund it themselves.  Neither of those scenarios seem particularly likely in light of both CBS' much-publicised money dramas, and their inability to get high numbers to sign up for AA with a bona-fide sure thing like The Good Fight as their lynchpin show.

blackmocco

Quote from: Professor Bear on 29 August, 2017, 11:44:00 PM
plus the rights split means they can't do anything set after TOS, anyway, so that's every option shagged, surely?

Sorry Bear, didn't feel the urge to trawl back though 18 pages and really was only referring to your first sentence. Should have edited the quote down. Haha!

One other thing though: this rights legality issue thing isn't true either. Doesn't even make any sense. JJ/Bad Robot aren't attached to this show at all. There are four production companies: CBS themselves, Secret Hideout, Living Dead Guy and Roddenberry productions. People seem to think Kurtzman's involvement means something it doesn't. Paramount has had to license stuff from CBS in order to use it for the JJ Trek movies but CBS owns Star Trek lock, stock and barrel. They can do what they choose with the TV franchise. Yeah, I'm kinda bummed out this is another prequel for sure, but there's no weird legal issue as to why. Fuller wanted an anthology show (which it doesn't look like we're gonna get) and simply wanted to start here. CBS just went along with it.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com