Main Menu

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

Started by Goaty, 10 April, 2017, 02:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

I enjoyed this film very much. I'll be buying the DVD so I can enjoy it some more.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Smith on 15 November, 2017, 05:56:17 PM
Excuse me,have we actually meet?Do you know anything about me?What exactly gives you the right to judge anyone?

Ahem. I very specifically and carefully said nothing about you as a person. I very specifically and carefully said I was talking about the persona you choose to project on this forum. I have no way of knowing how that persona relates to you as a person, so you might want to either 1) dial the outrage down a bit,or 2) think about how you choose to come across on here, as I have in recent months.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

I think Jim's right.

He's put me straight a time or two as well.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Molch-R

This thread has now been unlocked. Please contain the discussion to the topic at hand in a respectful manner, thank you.

The Legendary Shark

I apologise for my last comment.

I have enjoyed all the Thor films so far, and just about all the MU films as well. I think I'm so lucky to live in an age where SFX can bring these characters and stories to the screen without looking naff. It is an Age of Artificial Wonders.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Bolt-01

I've said a few times to my kids that if someone had told me at age 7-9 (when I really began reading comics) that I'd be able to see a fully realised Hulk, Iron Man, Cap and any of the others I'd have scoffed.

I always try to watch these films with that sense of wonder in mind as the grown-up I've become is far too cynical.

IndigoPrime

For me, most of the issues stem from weak writing and editing – which is a problem in many US comics as well. Dredd had a kind of compact terseness to it that mirrored the comic. Many Marvel movies want to be epics, within a broader universe of super-epics. Often, you get to the end of a 2.5-hour trudge and think they could have cut an hour out of it.

The films are never less than watchable at least, but I think the original Guardians was the last one I watched that I really thoroughly enjoyed. (Guardians 2, by comparison, was... fine.) I have high hopes for the new Thor, on the basis that it looks like it is a bit different and seems like it's broadly self-contained. (Alas, it'll be, what, six months before I can watch it on rental?)

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 16 November, 2017, 10:26:01 AM
I've said a few times to my kids that if someone had told me at age 7-9 (when I really began reading comics) that I'd be able to see a fully realised Hulk, Iron Man, Cap and any of the others I'd have scoffed.

I always try to watch these films with that sense of wonder in mind as the grown-up I've become is far too cynical.

Exactly. I watch films with much different expectations. When I go and see a MU or DCU movie my expectations are considerably lower, but that still does not stop me having fun seeing Thor, Spider-Man, Batman etc...On the big screen.

matty_ae

Just seen Thor for a third time each time bringing a different friends or family
They all loved it and only on the last watch did I catch all the jokes.

Great ride. Exactly what I want in a Superhero film.

Steven Denton

I really enjoyed it.

The Plant Hulk section is a really decent and visually original slice of Sci-Fi. I particularly enjoyed the cockney spiv Skurge. Karl Urban channelling Danny Dyer.   

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 16 November, 2017, 10:26:01 AM

I'll always remember the feeling I had when I went to see Iron Man just 9 years ago - when he finally gets the suit out for a trial run, with the music playing along. I was like a little kid (a big 36 year old little kid) at that very moment, jumping around in my seat getting all giddy about it, going 'woohoo' to the amusement of the rest of the people watching the film.

And my thought was "I wonder what the 10 year old me would have made of this"
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Jim_Campbell

First film where I've gone back for a repeat visit to the cinema since Fury Road and, before that, Dredd. Totally worth it.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Hadn't noticed this was unlocked 'til now. I don't want to drag us backwards, but I would like to apologise to Smith: I used the phrase 'you moany bugger' in the way I would with friends and colleagues who are forever giving out about the weather or the change from Marathon to Snickers: it wasn't meant to be insulting at all, just a friendly bit of ribbing based on your online demeanour ("It was shit", etc). I like a good moan, and I'm sorry that it came across otherwise.

As for the rest, I wasn't denying your right to dislike something, just making the trite observation that if you know you're not enjoying something, you could save yourself a lot of grief by avoiding it. See: me and Transformers movies, or Keith Lemon.  I (generally) don't come here to pick fights, especially about matters of taste, so my apologies for coming across that way.

Also: hoping to see Thor Ragnarok again this weekend, an honour usually only reserved for Star Wars. 

IndigoPrime

All you lot going for multiple viewings. Hmm. I wonder whether a three-year-old would like the film...

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]