Main Menu

Hellboy Reboot

Started by Steve Green, 09 May, 2017, 07:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PsychoGoatee

Not sure what the point of a reboot is, might as well just continue the continuity and tell more stories. Even if recasting. This casting seems like a good choice though, I could see that guy pulling off the Hellboy sardonic humor.

Neil Marshall is a solid choice for director too.

JOE SOAP

It's so they don't have to rely on a new audience seeing the other films and since Mignola is a Producer on this he probably wants it to be less del Toro this time. It's also a different studio so by rebooting they don't need to buy the rights to continue the previous interpretation.

CalHab

Neil Marshall has the right sensibility for this. This could be very good.

pauljholden

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 09 May, 2017, 07:33:47 AM
Not sure what the point of a reboot is, might as well just continue the continuity and tell more stories. Even if recasting. This casting seems like a good choice though, I could see that guy pulling off the Hellboy sardonic humor.

Neil Marshall is a solid choice for director too.

Figures collected from Wikipedia

Hellboy
$66m budget returning $99.3m profit

Hellboy II
$85m budget on $160m gross profit.

Del Toro's last film - Crimson Peak
$55m budget returning $74m gross

I suspect this might answer the question of Why they're not just doing a sequel...

-pj

IndigoPrime

"Marshall is now developing a new script with Aron Coleite, who worked on NBC's Heroes and is also working on the new Star Trek: Discovery series. He will also act as a producer with his partner Marc Helwig."

Hmm. So Mignola/Golden/Cosby script goes bye bye? They need Mignola to do this properly.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 May, 2017, 10:55:41 AM
Hmm. So Mignola/Golden/Cosby script goes bye bye? They need Mignola to do this properly.

When del Toro tweeted about his Hellboy 3 meeting a few months ago and pronounced the project officially dead, he gave the very clear impression that Mignola was the one who wasn't keen to proceed, so I would assume that this, at the very least, has his full blessing.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 May, 2017, 10:55:41 AM

In somewhat contradictory fashion, this article suggests that is the script they're using...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Steven Denton

Much as I love the Hellboy Films they didn't do that well. I thought Heroes was terrible, I'm not that keen on Neil Marshall and I don't really see why Hellboy needs an R rating*. I suspect I'm not the audience this film is after. never the less it will be interesting to see what the new team do with it.

*although after the success of Deadpool and Logan I'm not surprised.

Mardroid

I guess I don't mind as long as it's a self contained story that doesn't refer to main things in continuity of the other films. That way it can be a continuation in your mind if you want it to, but kinda fits the reboot remit. (I.e. reboot needn't mean a whole new universe.)

Steve Green

BTW Greg Staples is working on it at the moment.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 May, 2017, 03:50:37 PMIn somewhat contradictory fashion, this article suggests that is the script they're using...
Well, that's what the initial news report said. The 'new' script was a subsequent update.

Frankly, they need to make Hellboy weird. The second Del Toro one was about right on that score, for the most part.

JOE SOAP

del Toro was expecting to get somewhere in the region of $150 million to make his concluding film. The previous films didn't justify that expectation.

TordelBack

I thought both films were superb, great cast, very self contained and rewatchable, and it's a shame the financial success isn't there to support a third from the same team. It probably makes me a heretic, but I preferred them to the comic by quite a margin, a feeling only heightened by recent attempts to get up to date.

I was looking forward to del Toro's Hobbit too!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 May, 2017, 08:13:51 PM
I thought both films were superb, great cast, very self contained and rewatchable, and it's a shame the financial success isn't there to support a third from the same team....I was looking forward to del Toro's Hobbit too!

Likewise