Main Menu

Aborted Judge Dredd comic in the 1980s

Started by Richard, 27 May, 2017, 09:40:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Does anyone know if this first and only issue of Judge Dredd fortnightly was actually published or just a dummy for internal consideration? And what were the Dredd and Anderson stories inside -- new or reprints? And if new stories, have they appeared anywhere since?

Colin YNWA

Is it my imagination but wasn't that Mike Carroll's entry to the art comp or some such one time?

Richard

maryanddavid

Mike Carroll's computery fun!
The comic did exist, and I migh be on the trail of what the cover was. Time will tell.

The contents of the comic were to be;
Anderson
Bad Company
Blockers
Soul of a Judge/Blood Cadet
Helltrekkers

sheridan

Quote from: maryanddavid on 27 May, 2017, 02:07:06 PM
The comic did exist, and I migh be on the trail of what the cover was. Time will tell.

Anderson
Bad Company
Blockers
Helltrekkers

That's pretty much what I was going to say, both about Mike Carroll's piccy and the proposed line-up (I'd probably have forgotten Blockers and that Blood Cadet one though).  Blood Cadet was the Alan Moore one, right?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sheridan on 27 May, 2017, 04:50:16 PM
Quote from: maryanddavid on 27 May, 2017, 02:07:06 PM

Anderson
Bad Company
Blockers
Helltrekkers

That's pretty much what I was going to say, both about Mike Carroll's piccy and the proposed line-up (I'd probably have forgotten Blockers and that Blood Cadet one though).  Blood Cadet was the Alan Moore one, right?

Alan Moore and Mike Collin's 'Judge on Long Walk' story was The Badlander – which was also part of the 36 page dummy fortnightly. Blood Cadet was Ian Gibson and TB Grover.

Richard

Are those stories available anywhere else?

JOE SOAP

Helltrekkers made it to full series in the prog. The Blockers was published in the first Judge Dredd Mega-Special and then reprinted in The Restricted Files Restricted Files 02. The original B.A.D. Company was eventually published in Megazine 4.15. One fully drawn episode of Badlander apparently exists but has yet to be published. Portions of Blood Cadet(s) may have been reformatted as a one page featurette in the 2000AD SCI-FI SPECIAL 1986.

Richard

Thanks Joe.

So there's an unpublished Judge Dredd story by John Wagner and Ian Gibson somewhere in Tharg's archives which has never seen the light of day (apart from a couple of panels)? Tharg should get it out there immediately!

Max Headroom

Are there any copies you could buy: on ebay or somewhere similar?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Max Headroom on 28 May, 2017, 08:28:17 PM
Are there any copies you could buy: on ebay or somewhere similar?

The comic never got past being a dummy concept so it doesn't really exist and never reached publication. Michael Carroll's cover page is a re-imagining of what the cover might have looked like if it did exist.

Max Headroom

But in Michael Carroll's article (link elsewhere in this thread) it states that it was only dumped after a single issue hit the shelves...

JOE SOAP

The blurb is part of Mike's hoax. The cover was made as a fun 'what if?'

Max Headroom

Oh, okay - thanks, Joe. But the 'Blood Cadets' story does exist somewhere?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Max Headroom on 28 May, 2017, 10:40:55 PM
Oh, okay - thanks, Joe. But the 'Blood Cadets' story does exist somewhere?

All the stories apparently exist/existed, published and unpublished, just not in a single Judge Dredd comic.