Main Menu

Prog 2034 - Hot Rod Cop!

Started by Colin YNWA, 03 June, 2017, 08:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Could have gone for three taglines from that glorious cover, Plumped for that one.

Its an odd Prog this week, its absolutely fine, but its just missing a little something compared to what's been in there lately.Even Brink has a mis-step... well not really... but we'll get to that. Instead we'll start woth something firing on all cylinders.

Dredd is a classic of old, in a good way. Even like the cope out 'We're in Mutie Country, we play it their way' or whatever the specific was, summit like that. It was a massive cope out as of course we've seen Dredd in Mutie Country before doing anything BUT play it their way, but what the heck it drives things forward and I liked what it drove so it gets a pass.

Defoe is slipped so much its boardering on skip!... not that I want anything daft like not having it in the Prog!

Scarlet Traces end excitingly enough  but strangely didn't add anything to the story to date. Felt like an ending destined for the middle of a trade. Not bad though.

Neither is Brink but in rattling things along it becomes almost normal good, rather than special good, lost some of its uniqueness for me this week. Its absolutely blistering... but this has done so well without blistering this felt a little straightforward. Still bloody excited to see what happens next mind.

Finally Hunted... kinda lost me at the end. Am I mean to know that chap? I assuming the masked fella ain't our General... is it? Am I just being daft? Nice to have this back as I enjoyed it last night but this just made me feel dumb!

So yeah nowt particularly bad (Defoe aside) but somehow the weakest Prog for some time... which just speaks to the strength of 2000ad at the minute... its 8.37 and unless someone has posted while I've been typing I've bagged the Prog thread... what's all that about?

IndigoPrime

Any thoughts on what Damage Report was getting at?

Richard

Joe Dredd didn't seem like the real Dredd this week. "We play by the muties' rules"?! He'd enforce Mega City law and not do deals with perps.

A.Cow

Quote from: Richard on 04 June, 2017, 12:55:53 AM
Joe Dredd didn't seem like the real Dredd this week. "We play by the muties' rules"?! He'd enforce Mega City law and not do deals with perps.

That line grated badly.  IMHO this was a contrived and shockingly poor story.

After last week's awkward final panels, things resumed with a jarring, illogical plot-jump -- [spoiler]how did the kids in the flying cars get captured? Surely they could have just driven away?[/spoiler] -- and continued with paper-thin characters and a redundant second judge whose sole role was exposition fairy for the "play by their rules" line.  The junkie track owner & flunkie offered no credible threat, and the vague inference of a bigger menace was left unsubstantiated.

It all reads like one of the slushpile rejects used to pad out annuals back in the late 1970s.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 03 June, 2017, 11:25:51 PM

Is it about the new scanning technology that Rebellion have acquired to deal with the Treasury of British comics?
The stuff that the Kingsley brothers were talking about on the 40th panel and thrill-cast.

Jim_Campbell

I rather thought it was relatively gentle dig at some people who appear to believe that Rebellion has easy access to pristine copies of everything 2000AD has ever printed but for some unfathomable reason choose to use sub-optimal scans in their reprints.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Eamonn Clarke

Ah, that would make sense after some recent forum discssions I have read but not contributed to.

Magnetica

Not sure what to make of this week's Prog.

The Dredd two parter felt quite lightweight. It was actually quite corny ...Dredd wins by using a keystone cops manoeuvre and we get a well used throw the victim in the cubes as well. Lightweight but some how not funny enough.

Brendan McCarthy is for me a classic Dredd artist, but this too Zaucer of Zilk for me.

Defoe carriers on as before. I'm not sure I see the same dip as Colin or that it makes any less sense than previous episodes - what I have found with this series is the need to keep referring back to previous episodes so that you can tell who is who.

Hunted - yes think I will have to get the back Progs out. I assume the guy at the end is TG but who was the girl with the blue Mohican and red strip on her face?

Scarlet Traces wraps up well enough but yes it is a middle of a story break not a conclusion.

Brink - again not a dip for me - indeed it seemed to move things on well towards the conclusion (of this particular story).

Richard

QuoteI assume the guy at the end is TG

Seriously?! Like his face isn't distinctive enough?

A.Cow

Quote from: Richard on 05 June, 2017, 12:23:19 AM

I'm with Magnetica -- it's been months since we last saw the character and all I could remember was that his face was a state.

Just presumed it must be TG because the other fella had a bag over his head, which the real TG wouldn't've needed.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 03 June, 2017, 08:37:36 PM
Could have gone for three taglines from that glorious cover, Plumped for that one.

A agree, brilliant cover by the mecurial McCarthy, but was there really the need to balls it up with 3 straplines?

It's almost as if the graphic designer #1 go there first with theirs and the other 2 squabbled that they wanted a go too.

The 'Crazy for speed/Crazy for Carnage' guy obviously lost the tussle, but they let him use the potato printer when the bottom lip came out.

Seriously, how to ruin a great peice of art with the windows 95 font tool(s)...

Magnetica

Quote from: Richard on 05 June, 2017, 12:23:19 AM

Ok so less of the "seriously" please. I was attempting to clear up Colin's question from earlier in the thread.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 June, 2017, 08:54:59 AM

I rather thought it was relatively gentle dig at some people who appear to believe that Rebellion has easy access to pristine copies of everything 2000AD has ever printed but for some unfathomable reason choose to use sub-optimal scans in their reprints.

I thunk this too.
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

sorry Double post, but is that  Mr X I see in the margin of STraces' London?

Not to mention Fireball XL5 being consumed by... well a fireball. Just like promised in the Black Dossier!  :o
DDT did a job on me