Main Menu

Meg 386 - Last Breath

Started by Richard, 16 July, 2017, 12:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

It's all pretty consistent actually. While hinted at that Death's first two human hosts, Anderson and Mitson, might have been picked because of their psi-talents, it was never outright stated - and this was a Justice Department still learning about these creatures, hazarding guesses every step. Later we learn - as do Justice Department - that they can inhabit the bodies of pretty much anybody.

It's corpses that they've had problems with since day one - hence a need for a specially prepared body with the 'dead fluids' (though that in itself had precious little explanation, the need for it sort of makes sense when you remember that they were given their powers by witchcraft(!) which is all about ritual.)
@jamesfeistdraws

robert_ellis

I really hope Dominion has a game-changer in the plot. Dark Justice was a simple tale with stunning artwork - not sure another dose of the same will work. Will they resurrect PJ Maybe? Wagner has form for pulling great ideas out of initially repetitive scenarios (Mechanismo, America) - here's hoping it's more than a stylish monster mash.

Magnetica

Enjoyable Meg this month.

Unlike others I liked the movie Dredd tale. It was good to see it feature a character from the film.

I also like Havn. It does pay to re-read previous episodes but once you do that it makes perfect sense.

A quick question on Dominion - where is Fear? ( I can't remember what happened to him at the end of Dark Justice.)

I note next month's floppy features a story from Tornado. Presumably we are going to see more non 2000AD stuff from now on. Hope so.

Nick Percival

John told me Fear was captured at the end of Dark Justice and so doesn't feature in Dominion. I did a few concept paintings of him before I knew he wasn't going to be in it but at the moment, it's Death, Fire & Mortis up to no good...

Frank

Quote from: Nick Percival on 20 July, 2017, 09:04:24 PM
John told me Fear was captured at the end of Dark Justice ...

Suction trap, prog 1921. Presumably, busting their buddy out of the clink will be what eventually brings the gang back to MC1.

Frank

Quote from: Frank on 20 July, 2017, 10:23:55 PM
Suction trap, prog 1921.

Or prog 1917, as it's increasingly being called.

Colin YNWA

Fair to middling Meg for me, boosted by an excellent Dredd to start us off. Jake Lynch's art is just sublime and the action and fun, all be it in a story that feels there to move piece into place, is in plenty. Just solid fun storytelling.

Anderson was fine BUT I felt completely disjointed from what I remember this story being, really enjoyed it BUT was sat here thinking HUH how did we get from A to B. I suspect that's got more to do with the fact I'm old and rubbish these days, but by George I don't normally lose the plot this much...

... Though Havn tells me otherwise. I love reading this but as much for the moment as for the prospect of reading it again in one go when I get round to it and fit it all together. At the moment it feels like well contructed moments but there so much there to reveal what I'm not getting on this read that this story excits me even as it loses me.

As opposed to Domin-world or whatever its called. See this undenibly a well told set up, providing a creepy atmospheric start but I just don't care. While it might be great all my head says is "Oh God not more Dark Judges, I thought we'd done with them"....

... so there you have it stories that lose me I enjoy, well written, clear openers leave me cold... my opinion is worth nowt!

Richard

Nick, is there any chance you could put those concept art pictures of Fear online somewhere?

Nick Percival

I'm guessing if there's a collected edition of 'Dominion' all the extra art will be in there but this is an early rough concept I did for Judge Fear...

Magnetica

Doesn't look that rough to me.

IndigoPrime

Anyone still not got their subscriber copy of #386?

Daveycandlish

Really looking forward to seeing The Lawless Files collected with next month's Meg. Tornado had some cracking stories so I hope this is the first of many.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

JoFox2108

I really enjoyed this month's Meg. 

First of all I thought Arthur Wyatt's Harry Heston Dredd story was sublime - one of the best ever!  Jake Lynch's art was perfect - really beautifully done.  Gary's colours were really good too - adding atmosphere and dynamics without having it too in your face.  The whole thing was really brilliant from start to finish.

I thought the Anderson story was generally OK.  It hasn't really grabbed me yet but it was still an enjoyable read.

I started my subscription to Meg part way into Havn so I'm not totally sure what's happening in this strip but I love the idea of Nu-Iceland and the Alfar and the domes.  I'll probably buy the Megs back to the beginning of the story so I can understand it properly.  Henry Flint's artwork is really unusual too - has me fascinated.

I came over all nostalgic when I read Karl Stock's 'Leopard of Lime Street' write up and read the pages of strip included in the article.  It reminded me so strongly of being 12 again.  I might have to pick up that collection at some point.

I quite enjoyed the movie style Dredd strip.  I enjoyed the way the story concentrated on one of the characters from the film which I really found interesting.  The art was not really a style I particularly liked but it was still well drawn and understandable.  Interestingly I didn't see the story as setting Dredd up as a bad guy, but as showing how the system in MC1 fails people.  I saw Dredd as just a cog in that system.

Nick Percival's art in Dominion was excellent - really atmospheric.  I also really liked the way Wagner set up the space ship crew as just some regular working guys.  Nothing says 'the future' to me more than seeing what we regard as 'world leading high tech' in our time becoming work-a-day in the story.  The only tiny negative I have with this one is that it's another Judge Death strip and I'm a bit Death'ed out at the moment.  That said, when it comes to good stories if any man can do something interesting weird and amazing with Death it's got to be John Wagner!

This is the best Meg I've read since I subscribed - brilliant!
QuoteIt's all a deep end.

sheridan

Quote from: Nick Percival on 22 July, 2017, 08:30:23 AM
I'm guessing if there's a collected edition of 'Dominion' all the extra art will be in there but this is an early rough concept I did for Judge Fear...
Great to see more artwork from you, Nick - here's hoping we get a Fear story in the not-too-distant future...

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 20 July, 2017, 12:58:33 PM
Judge Death Lives (225) identifies Mitson as a possible host for Death because he's a psi, and Necropolis (669) shows Mortis in spirit form trying (and failing) to inhabit just any old corpse, but by The Three Amigos (Meg 2.5) Death's able to hop between anyone he fancies.

Practice makes perfect!