Main Menu

Rebellion to publish Scream/Misty Halloween Special in 2017

Started by Professor Bear, 20 July, 2017, 12:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

Also, I misread the 13th Floor advert. I thought when it said 'I'm Back!' and '2018' it meant, New Series!  But on second read, it just says Volume 1 collection. Oops.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Tiplodocus

So Molch-R will probably have a fit at this but I've only just realised that this is new material. I thought it was reprints. Sorry for not paying attention.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 October, 2017, 09:53:44 PM
So Molch-R will probably have a fit at this but I've only just realised that this is new material. I thought it was reprints. Sorry for not paying attention.

Go to your room and think about what you've done.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Just got this today.  Some danged good stuff in there, stories and art both.  Hope this is the start of more of these kinds of revivals, even just as occasional specials.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 25 October, 2017, 10:21:36 PM

Some good did come from watching that cockwomble's YouTube review.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 26 October, 2017, 01:43:36 PM

Oh he was delightful.
"I acknowledge at length that this comic failed 30 years ago when there was a much larger domestic comics market - and now I demand to know why they haven't done this new version exactly like that one.  Also the Beano is ruined now because girls can read it."

Mardroid

I enjoyed the art in this a lot. My reaction to the stories was more varied, mostly lightweight introductory stuff, where I would have preferred something more complete and suitable substantial, considering this is a special (akin to an annual, in my mind). It's mostly not bad however. The only story, I think I disliked, was Death Man, as it just seemed a way of shoehorning in a bunch of characters in a kind of cross-over. (I suspect those that read the originals back in the day may have got a kick out of it, though, but it left me scratching my head, and a bit.)  That being said, the idea is interesting, and I'd be interested to see what they do with it, in future.

My favourite tales seemed to be the Misty portion, which unfortunately was the smallest. The Dracula one wasn't bad as a kind of introduction/catch up.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mardroid on 26 October, 2017, 05:21:29 PMThe only story, I think I disliked, was Death Man, as it just seemed a way of shoehorning in a bunch of characters in a kind of cross-over. (I suspect those that read the originals back in the day may have got a kick out of it, though, but it left me scratching my head, and a bit.)

I have raved about the characters that appeared in Death Man - especially Blake Edmonds from Death Wish - here and elsewhere, and I was disappointed in Death Man not just as a standalone story (it's yet another Zenith rehash, and starts in a previous 2000ad special), but also as a reintroduction to these characters, seeing as none of them actually do anything that they're noted for, and the ones that get to speak are off-model, thus negating any nostalgia.  I gather other more UK comics-literate types like Bear Alley (no relation) were similarly confounded.

JLC

Quote from: Mardroid on 26 October, 2017, 05:21:29 PM
I enjoyed the art in this a lot. My reaction to the stories was more varied, mostly lightweight introductory stuff, where I would have preferred something more complete and suitable substantial, considering this is a special (akin to an annual, in my mind). It's mostly not bad however. The only story, I think I disliked, was Death Man, as it just seemed a way of shoehorning in a bunch of characters in a kind of cross-over. (I suspect those that read the originals back in the day may have got a kick out of it, though, but it left me scratching my head, and a bit.)  That being said, the idea is interesting, and I'd be interested to see what they do with it, in future.

My favourite tales seemed to be the Misty portion, which unfortunately was the smallest. The Dracula one wasn't bad as a kind of introduction/catch up.
I agree the Misty stuff was best. Fate of the Fairy Hunter seemed like a nice one & done, Return of the Sentinels was a good introduction but like a lot of the content felt like a first episode rather than a complete story so if there isn't any more it might be a waste of time.

Was disappointed that there was a lot of stuff that didn't appear in either Scream or Misty, considering the wealth of material available. Loved the artwork in Fate of the Fairy Hunter, The Dracula Files & 13th Floor. Death-Man: The Gathering was the worst strip, a prologue really with loads of characters that were rushed introduced.

All in all I hope we have more issues.

JLC

Quote from: Professor Bear on 26 October, 2017, 02:47:44 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 26 October, 2017, 01:43:36 PM

Oh he was delightful.
"I acknowledge at length that this comic failed 30 years ago when there was a much larger domestic comics market - and now I demand to know why they haven't done this new version exactly like that one.  Also the Beano is ruined now because girls can read it."
Link.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

Just take our word for it and don't inflate his view count and financially reward him for being an arsehole.