Main Menu

Charley's war omnibus?

Started by Apestrife, 21 August, 2017, 09:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Came across a Titan Charley's war omnibus on the internet. Seems like a tpb.

I quite like the panels I've seen from the book. Especially the one where Charley has a bag and says "it's me mate sir".

From what I understand it collects the first 3 volumes, and some of the 4th. What I'm wondering is if there's any word on wether they'll continue to publish more of them (should probably be 2 more then), but if they aren't, could it then stand on it's own?

Colin YNWA

In whatever form you get it just get it. Its quite simply the very best of comics. It really is

http://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=40387.msg890800#msg890800

That said to answer your specifics. As far as I know this is the only Omnibus they released so you'd need to pick up the individual volumes after this AND YOU WILL. You will lavish in the delights (well horrors) this most brilliant of children's stories offer and smoother yourself in the joy of the rest while berating every moment of your life prior to knowing this wonder.

BUY IT!

Woolly

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 August, 2017, 10:27:41 PM
In whatever form you get it just get it. Its quite simply the very best of comics. It really is.

Colin, as usual, is absolutely spot-on here.
Possibly Pat mills' greatest work, IMHO.

And Joe Colquhoun's art.... the word 'sublime' just doesn't do it justice.

Buy it. Buy it all.

TordelBack

Quote from: Apestrife on 21 August, 2017, 09:29:55 PM
I quite like the panels I've seen from the book. Especially the one where Charley has a bag and says "it's me mate sir".

Every time I see that scene, I think: "...This was in a kids' comic, when comics really were for kids. Fucking hell". 

And then I want to fight anyone who questions Pat's right to write whatever the hell he wants for the Prog.

Mute77

I read the series of hardbacks a year or so ago for the first time and have to say its one of the best things i ever read..stunning art and writing. Not sure about other formats but the titan hardcovers are excellent. I believe fobidden planet have or had a sale of these very recently..

Apestrife

Colin, quite considering it actually! Especially since it seems there'll only be one omnibus.

Tordel, I love how powerful yet simple it is. While I'm not a fan of everything he writes, the stuff I like of his (Serial killer most recent) I REALLY LIKE!  Are there more moments like that one throughout the book?

Mute, yes I saw those. From there the idea sprung into my head actually.

Apestrife

I just read that Pat left the comic. Did he still end it on a fitting note of sorts? The story in the tenth book, where Charley goes to Russia.

Wouldn't mind if it did :)

glassstanley

Yes, there's a definite end to the story.

lincnash

The Russia 1918-1919 (White's vs Red's) story-line is quite good.

[spoiler]Continues on with domestic life post Great War, then Charley's entry to WWII (Dunkirk story-line).[/spoiler]

But it's wrapped up abruptly due to Joe Colquhoun's (R.I.P.) real life health issues.
Could have continued for years, but Battle was dying the slow death also.

Apestrife

I imagine Charley makes it home and such. That the story Pat was involved in writing didn't end abruptly?

Went close to buying all then of Forbidden planet, but the shipping became too expensive. But I'v ordered the omnibus. Can't wait to read it :)

lincnash

Old skool Squaxx here, I rely on the rusty data-banks and rarely Google/Wiki.  :D

I believe Joe and Pat (hallowed be thy Creators name) were with the series from start to finish.

Some people are sensitive to "SPOILERS" so I'll use the "black censorship". FAIR WARNING !!!!!!!!!.
[spoiler]Charley was born in 1900, he was age 16 at the Somme.
Returned to Blighty after the fun and games of the Allies involvement in the Russian Revolution (1920 ?).
His Son (Wilfred ? after Charley's brother ?) is born shortly after his return, Charley let's him know of the horrors of WW1.
1939 or 1940, with the rise of Fascism in Europe, Charley's Son joins up.
Aged 40+ and seeking to find his Son, Charley lies about his age (again!) and joins up.
The search for his Son, conflict with a comrade (familiar ?), a nasty Panzer Commander foe and the retreat to Dunkirk.
The "abrupt end" was when they get back to Blighty, Charley has had enough of war (retires) and thats the conclusion.[/spoiler]

I can remember a 8-10 week period in the early 1980's when Charley went missing from Battle weekly.
They began re-printing the series from the beginning and explained Joe was a very sick man.
The time of the Messines Ridge/Clay-kickers story-line ?.
Joe's health got better, he did return and continued with Charley for a few more years.
I may be wrong, but I always thought the "abrupt ending" was really due to Joe's ill health.
Rather than continue with a new artist, IPC/Fleetway opted to finish there and wrapped it up.
Unfortunately Joe passed away a few years later.
By that time, Battle had virtually become Junk-Mail for the Action Force toys.

Maybe Mr. Mills might be able to shed some light on it ?
I don't do social media and cant attend U.K. conventions due to distance issues  :).

glassstanley

Quote from: lincnashOZ on 24 August, 2017, 09:08:16 PM
Old skool Squaxx here, I rely on the rusty data-banks and rarely Google/Wiki.  :D

I believe Joe and Pat (hallowed be thy Creators name) were with the series from start to finish

Pat left the strip when the publisher refused to allow him an allowance for research. Joe carried on drawing another writer's scripts, but script quality failed to meet the standard set by Mills.

The 10 Titan volumes contain all of Mills' work. Mills involvement ends with the newspapers reporting Hitler's rise to power.

lincnash

A well informed Squaxx has the answer. :)
Thanks glassstanley.

edit:- you motivated me to check the toilet paper issues  :lol:
late in the series WRITER "S. GOODALL"

lincnash

No disrespect or offense met glassstanley.
The 30 year old memory just kept playing on loop in my head so I had to admit defeat and check Wiki.
Everyone knows its 100% factual  ::).

From Wiki:-
"However, in January 1985, Mills quit the strip before being able to complete the story (he intended the story to end in 1933, with Charley on the dole as Hitler is made Chancellor of Germany) due to a dispute over his research budget."
also:-
"In reality, the ending of Charley's War was down to the poor health of Joe Colquhoun, which had already caused the strip to be delayed several weeks. Out of respect for Joe, there was no question of getting another artist to take over production, and it was felt best to simply draw it to a close."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley%27s_War#Publishing_history

Anyone who has not read Charley should really do themselves a favour.

glassstanley

None taken!

Mills has frequently gone on record with his version. Most recent seems to be on p18 of Be Pure...