Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Star Wars Ep IX Director leaves film  (Read 579 times)

matty_ae

• Prog Stacking Droid
  • I don't know as much as you other fans.
    • View Profile
    • Reprint this Dan Dare
Re: Star Wars Ep IX Director leaves film
« Reply #15 on: 06 September, 2017, 03:50:57 pm »
Marvel get some real stick for 'promoting the next movie in the last one' and 'building a universe' at the expense of the individual story.

I would have preferred Ant-Man without the Falcon appearance, but that really paid off in Civil War.
I thought the Black Widow was forced in Iron Man 2, but that meant Avengers could start with her tied to a chair.
Weird Thor scene in Age of Ultron, jury is still out - that's going to need some pay-off in Ragnarok as it was awful and Loki-lite

I dont really care for what DC are doing (WW aside which was a B+ at best). Or 20th Century Fox with the X-Men. But Marvel are on fire.

Steve Green

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 September, 2017, 04:03:29 pm »
Yeah I can see why - doesn't particularly bother me any more, I've not watched any of the Netflix Marvel stuff past DD S2 and little of Agents of Shield - just don't have the time.

I enjoyed Logan a lot more because it was its own thing, I've still not seen AoU.

JOE SOAP

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Enquiry Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 September, 2017, 04:14:52 pm »
Marvel get some real stick for 'promoting the next movie in the last one' and 'building a universe' at the expense of the individual story.

I would have preferred Ant-Man without the Falcon appearance,

The Falcon's appearance hardly detracted from the film or its story; it's a plot tie-in and a decent action gag.

I'm not so certain it was Marvel's desire for some connectivity was that much of an issue for Wright but the idea of someone else re-writing the script.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 September, 2017, 06:07:35 pm »
These narrow-minded directors just don't understand Disney's uncompromising cutting-edge vision for the future of the Star Wars saga. It can't be easy trying to shoehorn a new and original film into the exact same plot, locations and designs as (let's face it now) Return of the Jedi, but dammit Colin should have tried harder: he managed to pull off the very same trick in Jurassic World.

(Oh good Grud, now I have to live with always thinking of Snoke as Indominus Palapatine).
Did he? Jurassic World was terrible. Not sure how that film was in any new & original.

I may, just perhaps, have been attempting sarcasm. The clue was the phrase "Disney's uncompromising cutting-edge vision", and pretty much everything else.

Although I do struggle with the idea that Jurassic World was terrible - unoriginal and very silly, but perfectly serviceable entertainment for a third sequel to an overrated original.
« Last Edit: 06 September, 2017, 06:10:08 pm by TordelBack »

Richard

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 September, 2017, 06:55:22 pm »
Colin Trevarrow did Jurassic World (which although it wasn't shit, it wasn't very good either),  and half a dozen other films I've never heard of. Not exactly the most obvious choice to direct an eagerly-awaited Star Wars film. I think this is good news, as long as his replacement isn't an equally questionable choice.

Goaty

• Bionic Fingers
  • Goaty the illustrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 September, 2017, 07:01:25 pm »
Maybe it linked to his reaction on his latest film reviews?

If should kept quiet, could be in the job for Star Wars?

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/exclusive-colin-trevorrow-heartbreaking-negative-reaction-book-henry/

radiator

• Bionic Fingers
  • A fry without beans is a mere meat collage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 September, 2017, 07:25:18 pm »
Colin Trevarrow did Jurassic World (which although it wasn't shit, it wasn't very good either),  and half a dozen other films I've never heard of. Not exactly the most obvious choice to direct an eagerly-awaited Star Wars film. I think this is good news, as long as his replacement isn't an equally questionable choice.

I don't really understand Treverrow's meteoric rise either, and I thought he was a terrible choice for Ep IX all along. I saw his debut movie Safety Not Guaranteed, and it was... fine? I guess? But certainly nothing memorable or special. I don't know what it was about that film in particular that Spielberg and Kennedy saw so much promise in...

As for Jurassic World, I thought it was straight up trash (like, not even competently directed or staged as an action/adventure movie) but imho it would have been a huge success regardless of who directed it based on nostalgia alone.

As Goaty notes, his most recent film - a passion project - was by all accounts an outright turkey. According to the Hollywood Reporter, this is what ultimately led to Lucasfilm losing faith in him.

Goaty

• Bionic Fingers
  • Goaty the illustrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 September, 2017, 07:47:40 pm »
I notice that on Facebook some idiots on Change.org for George Lucas to do EP IX? Did they didn't realise he is retired?

matty_ae

• Prog Stacking Droid
  • I don't know as much as you other fans.
    • View Profile
    • Reprint this Dan Dare
« Reply #23 on: 06 September, 2017, 08:00:01 pm »
The elephant in the room is Carrie Fisher's death.
It was always going to mean massive problems for this episode.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 September, 2017, 08:06:12 pm »
I'm not so certain it was Marvel's desire for some connectivity was that much of an issue for Wright but the idea of someone else re-writing the script.
Wright can do no wrong AFAIC, and I'd love to have seen his and Cornish's AntMan - but I think plenty of his sensibility remains visible in what is one of the best Marvel movies. As a hybrid, it certainly works.

JOE SOAP

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Enquiry Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 September, 2017, 08:18:06 pm »
Wright can do no wrong AFAIC, and I'd love to have seen his and Cornish's AntMan - but I think plenty of his sensibility remains visible in what is one of the best Marvel movies. As a hybrid, it certainly works.

It is one of the best Marvel films – ironically a few of the most popular touches that people liked and attributed to being in the Wright & Cornish style – and obviously part of the original script – were introduced afterwards by McKay, Reed and 2 of Marvel's uncredited staff writers.

Steve Green

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 September, 2017, 08:42:57 pm »
Weirdly,

I only learnt last month that Edgar was apparently mates with one of my housemates at College, bonding over Star Wars, he was on the A/V course on the floor below us while I was fucking about with animation in the attic.

Surprisingly he got rejected twice by the film course (but they always seemed to be a bit up themselves)

I remember seeing a poster for his first film on the noticeboard, but thought he'd been a year or two ahead of our lot.

Oh and Mel, ex-of Bake Off was on the film course.

Funny old world.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 September, 2017, 09:18:42 pm »
... ironically a few of the most popular touches that people liked and attributed to being in the Wright & Cornish style – and obviously part of the original script – were introduced afterwards by McKay, Reed and 2 of Marvel's uncredited staff writers.

Hah, brilliant!

Steve Green

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 September, 2017, 09:31:06 pm »
You mean like Thomas?

http://screenrant.com/ant-man-thomas-tank-engine-disintegration/

Says it was a train set in the original Wright/Cornish script.

JOE SOAP

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Enquiry Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 September, 2017, 09:53:15 pm »

I Knew the fight in the girl's bedroom was a Wright & Cornish creation but all the Quantum Realm stuff was added by Reed and Michael Peña's funny story montages – which felt a bit like Spaced – were also a Reed invention. Wasp getting her suit at the end predates Reed and McKay.