Main Menu

Star Wars Ep IX Director leaves film

Started by Steve Green, 05 September, 2017, 11:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Professor Bear

Another Hollywood type that thinks he's too good for fanfiction.

TordelBack

These narrow-minded directors just don't understand Disney's uncompromising cutting-edge vision for the future of the Star Wars saga. It can't be easy trying to shoehorn a new and original film into the exact same plot, locations and designs as (let's face it now) Return of the Jedi, but dammit Colin should have tried harder: he managed to pull off the very same trick in Jurassic World.

(Oh good Grud, now I have to live with always thinking of Snoke as Indominus Palapatine).

JLC

Quote from: Professor Bear on 06 September, 2017, 12:12:32 AM
Another Hollywood type that thinks he's too good for fanfiction.

Is he? Have you not seen Jurassic World? That is fan fiction!

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 September, 2017, 01:36:20 AM
These narrow-minded directors just don't understand Disney's uncompromising cutting-edge vision for the future of the Star Wars saga. It can't be easy trying to shoehorn a new and original film into the exact same plot, locations and designs as (let's face it now) Return of the Jedi, but dammit Colin should have tried harder: he managed to pull off the very same trick in Jurassic World.

(Oh good Grud, now I have to live with always thinking of Snoke as Indominus Palapatine).
Did he? Jurassic World was terrible. Not sure how that film was in any new & original.

Goaty

Well right as I find JW is bit soulless film to watch.

IAMTHESYSTEM

These Movies are expensive investments so the Director must adhere strictly to whatever script the committee that financed the film gives him/her. I think Jose Padilha, the Brazilian Director of the 2014 RoboCop found not a single suggestion he made was acted upon and he had to direct whatever the Producers told him to. He was just a hired hand with zero creative freedom and spent most of his time fighting with the Studio to little or no avail. Shit sells if you sugar it sweet enough so don't expect anything too magnificent from any franchise you cared about because the blander and more tasteless it is the happier the bean counters are. They make Movies, sorry franchises, now not Directors.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Professor Bear

Studio execs shouldn't interfere with the magical alchemy of film creation because they don't know anything about movies, and directors should have free reign so that we can have more great films like Prometheus and Fantastic Four.

Keef Monkey

I had no idea the director of Jurassic World was supposed to be making Episode 9. This is...good news then? That was an incredibly bland and forgettable film.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 06 September, 2017, 10:52:41 AMThese Movies are expensive investments so the Director must adhere strictly to whatever script the committee that financed the film gives him/her.

Not in his own case, according to Rian Johnson – "I had as much creative control on TLJ as I've ever had on any of my own movies."

Johnson was surprised with how much freedom he was given with the story, saying that the only thing he was told he had to go off of was The Force Awakens. This left him with a lot of places to go, but luckily, he came up with a pretty easy (and grim) idea for where to begin. "I started by writing the names of each of the characters and thinking, 'what's the hardest thing they could be faced with?'" Johnson said.

James Gunn also seems to have had a free reign on his Marvel films so I think this is not a universal experience.

Goaty

I think it was case of they find out the directors wasn't really good directors.

Goaty

Steve Green

Uh-huh.

Baby Driver has made nearly $200m on a $34m budget. That's not bad going for a non-franchise, non-sequel film for a 'wasn't really good director'

Goaty

Sorry I didnt means my two posts are linked, I was reply to Joe Soap, forgot to include his post!
I love Edgar Wright, one of finest directors! Wish knew why he was off Ant-Man. I notice many of his humour trademarks was in Ant-Man.

Steve Green

Cool.

He explains it a little here.

http://nerdist.com/edgar-wright-reveals-why-he-left-ant-man/

It sounds similar to the reasons that Miller/Lord left Han Solo - just didn't fit with the rest of the franchise I guess?

Goaty

Quote from: Steve Green on 06 September, 2017, 03:30:06 PM
Cool.

He explains it a little here.

http://nerdist.com/edgar-wright-reveals-why-he-left-ant-man/

It sounds similar to the reasons that Miller/Lord left Han Solo - just didn't fit with the rest of the franchise I guess?

Ahh cheers for the link as been wonder about it for ages, can understand it. Would be interesting to see the Ant-Man sequel is bit different?