Main Menu

Star Wars Ep IX Director leaves film

Started by Steve Green, 05 September, 2017, 11:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

Marvel get some real stick for 'promoting the next movie in the last one' and 'building a universe' at the expense of the individual story.

I would have preferred Ant-Man without the Falcon appearance, but that really paid off in Civil War.
I thought the Black Widow was forced in Iron Man 2, but that meant Avengers could start with her tied to a chair.
Weird Thor scene in Age of Ultron, jury is still out - that's going to need some pay-off in Ragnarok as it was awful and Loki-lite

I dont really care for what DC are doing (WW aside which was a B+ at best). Or 20th Century Fox with the X-Men. But Marvel are on fire.

Steve Green

Yeah I can see why - doesn't particularly bother me any more, I've not watched any of the Netflix Marvel stuff past DD S2 and little of Agents of Shield - just don't have the time.

I enjoyed Logan a lot more because it was its own thing, I've still not seen AoU.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: matty_ae on 06 September, 2017, 03:50:57 PM
Marvel get some real stick for 'promoting the next movie in the last one' and 'building a universe' at the expense of the individual story.

I would have preferred Ant-Man without the Falcon appearance,

The Falcon's appearance hardly detracted from the film or its story; it's a plot tie-in and a decent action gag.

I'm not so certain it was Marvel's desire for some connectivity was that much of an issue for Wright but the idea of someone else re-writing the script.

TordelBack

Quote from: JLC on 06 September, 2017, 09:58:40 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 06 September, 2017, 01:36:20 AM
These narrow-minded directors just don't understand Disney's uncompromising cutting-edge vision for the future of the Star Wars saga. It can't be easy trying to shoehorn a new and original film into the exact same plot, locations and designs as (let's face it now) Return of the Jedi, but dammit Colin should have tried harder: he managed to pull off the very same trick in Jurassic World.

(Oh good Grud, now I have to live with always thinking of Snoke as Indominus Palapatine).
Did he? Jurassic World was terrible. Not sure how that film was in any new & original.

I may, just perhaps, have been attempting sarcasm. The clue was the phrase "Disney's uncompromising cutting-edge vision", and pretty much everything else.

Although I do struggle with the idea that Jurassic World was terrible - unoriginal and very silly, but perfectly serviceable entertainment for a third sequel to an overrated original.

Richard

Colin Trevarrow did Jurassic World (which although it wasn't shit, it wasn't very good either),  and half a dozen other films I've never heard of. Not exactly the most obvious choice to direct an eagerly-awaited Star Wars film. I think this is good news, as long as his replacement isn't an equally questionable choice.

Goaty

Maybe it linked to his reaction on his latest film reviews?

If should kept quiet, could be in the job for Star Wars?

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/exclusive-colin-trevorrow-heartbreaking-negative-reaction-book-henry/

radiator

Quote from: Richard on 06 September, 2017, 06:55:22 PM
Colin Trevarrow did Jurassic World (which although it wasn't shit, it wasn't very good either),  and half a dozen other films I've never heard of. Not exactly the most obvious choice to direct an eagerly-awaited Star Wars film. I think this is good news, as long as his replacement isn't an equally questionable choice.

I don't really understand Treverrow's meteoric rise either, and I thought he was a terrible choice for Ep IX all along. I saw his debut movie Safety Not Guaranteed, and it was... fine? I guess? But certainly nothing memorable or special. I don't know what it was about that film in particular that Spielberg and Kennedy saw so much promise in...

As for Jurassic World, I thought it was straight up trash (like, not even competently directed or staged as an action/adventure movie) but imho it would have been a huge success regardless of who directed it based on nostalgia alone.

As Goaty notes, his most recent film - a passion project - was by all accounts an outright turkey. According to the Hollywood Reporter, this is what ultimately led to Lucasfilm losing faith in him.

Goaty

I notice that on Facebook some idiots on Change.org for George Lucas to do EP IX? Did they didn't realise he is retired?

matty_ae

The elephant in the room is Carrie Fisher's death.
It was always going to mean massive problems for this episode.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 September, 2017, 04:14:52 PM
I'm not so certain it was Marvel's desire for some connectivity was that much of an issue for Wright but the idea of someone else re-writing the script.
Wright can do no wrong AFAIC, and I'd love to have seen his and Cornish's AntMan - but I think plenty of his sensibility remains visible in what is one of the best Marvel movies. As a hybrid, it certainly works.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 September, 2017, 08:06:12 PM
Wright can do no wrong AFAIC, and I'd love to have seen his and Cornish's AntMan - but I think plenty of his sensibility remains visible in what is one of the best Marvel movies. As a hybrid, it certainly works.

It is one of the best Marvel films – ironically a few of the most popular touches that people liked and attributed to being in the Wright & Cornish style – and obviously part of the original script – were introduced afterwards by McKay, Reed and 2 of Marvel's uncredited staff writers.

Steve Green

Weirdly,

I only learnt last month that Edgar was apparently mates with one of my housemates at College, bonding over Star Wars, he was on the A/V course on the floor below us while I was fucking about with animation in the attic.

Surprisingly he got rejected twice by the film course (but they always seemed to be a bit up themselves)

I remember seeing a poster for his first film on the noticeboard, but thought he'd been a year or two ahead of our lot.

Oh and Mel, ex-of Bake Off was on the film course.

Funny old world.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 06 September, 2017, 08:18:06 PM
... ironically a few of the most popular touches that people liked and attributed to being in the Wright & Cornish style – and obviously part of the original script – were introduced afterwards by McKay, Reed and 2 of Marvel's uncredited staff writers.

Hah, brilliant!

Steve Green

You mean like Thomas?

http://screenrant.com/ant-man-thomas-tank-engine-disintegration/

Says it was a train set in the original Wright/Cornish script.

JOE SOAP

I Knew the fight in the girl's bedroom was a Wright & Cornish creation but all the Quantum Realm stuff was added by Reed and Michael Peña's funny story montages – which felt a bit like Spaced – were also a Reed invention. Wasp getting her suit at the end predates Reed and McKay.