Main Menu

Your favourite and least favourite from the mega collection?

Started by marko10174, 07 September, 2017, 11:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marko10174

of the 70 books released from the mega collection which is your favourite and least favourite book? I only have nine of them so far but plan on getting alot more.

Swerty

I suppose Cursed Earth is my least favourite just the way is was released.

IndigoPrime

Of the Dredd run, the recent Mad City (#68) was excellent. Heavy Mob (#6) was pretty much irredeemable.

Dark Jimbo

Brothers of the Blood is a tough one to beat! Least favourite? Heavy Mob, or Klegg Hai!
@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

I have been picking and choosing.

Favourites are:

1) Simping Detective
2) PJ Maybe
3) Insurrection

(All of which goes to show you don't necessarily need Dredd himself!)

Least favourite - as I said I have been picking and choosing so have avoided any that might be really bad.
Of the ones I bought, my least favourite / most dissapointing were:

1) Oz
2) The Cursed Earth - but only because I feel like I wasted a tenner on it. If I had know the uncensored GN was going to come out, there is no way I would have bought the Mega Collection version.

Richard

Magnetica

As I said I have been picking and choosing so all the volumes I have are "good".

Oz just isn't as good as the other volumes I have. The two seperate story lines never really come together and could easily have been seperate stories. Also the mix of artists doesn't ever gell for me. It seemed more a case of who was available to get this out on time.

(I have no inside knowledge of the production - that's just how it comes across to me).

marko10174

For me personally I would say the Missionary man books, if it wasn't for the mega collection these stories would never have been collected in their entirety.

Tomwe

Heavy Mob is a complete waste of trees (with apologies to PJ Holden, I was done by the time I got to his strip). Shimura is pretty bad too, and Cal Hab.
Chief Judge's Man, Brothers Of The Blood & Trifecta are a standout set (of new to me stuff)

Greg M.

Oz was the only one I bought, just for the glorious colour centrespreads (and because my old black and white collected edition of Oz fell apart.) It's not the greatest mega-epic, but it's still pretty good.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Tomwe on 08 September, 2017, 11:38:57 AMShimura is pretty bad too, and Cal Hab.
Shimura has its moments, but it's too often a mess in terms of narrative. The Inaba stuff is a bit better. Cal Hab I was willing to give a second chance, but it's still dross. The collection would have lost nothing without it.

Magnetica

Quote from: Tomwe on 08 September, 2017, 11:38:57 AM
Chief Judge's Man, Brothers Of The Blood & Trifecta are a standout set (of new to me stuff)

Yes I should have listed Trifecta amongst my favourites aswell.

Fungus

Wondered when this thread would arrive  :)
Have cherry-picked, but that still means 27 books of 69 (?) - no filler!
Who cares about spines anyway (when they're as unhelpful as these ?-) )

Of the 9 read so far...

Smashing:
Trifecta   -- basically never re-read things but this was worth it
Mandroid   -- gritty and powerful stuff
The Simping Detective   --  stylish and entertaining. A revelation

Disappointing:
Doomsday for Dredd
The Pit (second half)

Most looking forward to reading:
The Life and Crimes of PJ Maybe
Mad City
Fast Food

JamesC

I don't know about 'favourite' but it was nice to have a new collected edition of Wilderlands.
That's one of the things I like about the collection - as well as the greatest hits we seen new editions of some lesser known stories that haven't been reprinted much.

marko10174

Well so far I own Trifecta, the simping detective, both doomsday book, the three missionary man books, into the undercity, and mechanismo is on the way. Trifecta is brilliant, the simping detective is absolutely fantastic and the Galen demarco stories are a great bonus. Doomsday is a bit disjointed, and the constant change in artwork is distracting at times, but I did enjoy the overall story. It was great to see orlock again. Love missionary man! And I've read the first half of into the undercity. Creep is a fun character, hated pat mills birthday boy storyline. I really want to purchase democracy now, I bet that's one of the big hitters of the series. Can't believe people have issues with OZ, I loved that epic.