Main Menu

We need NEW BLOOD- Join us, Joe....

Started by Link Prime, 15 March, 2018, 04:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

I guess they're not really new anymore, but I'm always happy to see Jake Lynch, Tiernan Travallion and Eoin Coveney in the Prog/Meg. Lynch in particular has caught my eye as someone not afraid to experiment and push the stylistic elements of his work. He's shaping up to be the next Henry Flint!

Would be v. happy to see these three given the chance to work on characters beyond their 'main' series.

Tomwe

Quote from: Woolly on 15 March, 2018, 07:01:29 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 15 March, 2018, 06:24:55 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 15 March, 2018, 06:12:58 PM
Being contrary,  I don't think we see half enough of many well-established art droids: I know lots have moved on to bigger things, or worse, left this mortal realm entirely,  but still,  could we not find more space for Andrew Currie and Neil Googe,  Jake Lynch and Nigel Dobbyn, Nick Dyer and John McCrea, not to mention the criminally underused genius of Chris Weston (no, the current Dredd is not enough). And where's my SMS SF epic?

I always liked Anthony Williams. He used to knock out pages of Sinister Dexter like there was no tomorrow then he just disappeared.

^This^

Anthony Williams is one of those droids whose work we've had the pleasure of seeing get better and better over the years, and by all accounts he's fast and dependable. Should be a mainstay in the prog, IMO.

And yeah, a 25 part SMS mega-space-epic please Tharg, if that's okay  :thumbsup:

That Working Comics Podcast interview with Bish-OP spilled the beans on Williams disappearance from the prog: both he and the great Ron Smith were not to his taste so he stopped giving them work...!

Would like to see more from John McCrea, as well as Tilen Javornik who drew a few future shocks last year.

Link Prime

Quote from: Tomwe on 16 March, 2018, 01:04:14 PM
That Working Comics Podcast interview with Bish-OP spilled the beans on Williams disappearance from the prog:

But wasn't Williams even more prolific (and accomplished) during the post- Bish-OP era?
We need a new 'Where are they now thread?'.

Solid agreement regarding both Tom Foster and Mark Sexton- top talent.
I'm a fan of Jake Lynch too, but would say he's been quite a 'regular' for the House of Tharg in the past couple years.

Colin YNWA

That Working Comics Podcast interview with Bish-OP spilled the beans on Williams disappearance from the prog: both he and the great Ron Smith were not to his taste so he stopped giving them work...!

Would like to see more from John McCrea, as well as Tilen Javornik who drew a few future shocks last year.

Yeah but that was 20 or more years ago and Anthoy Williams made a return in the 2000s and did a lot of work after David Bishop's time as editor. He disappeared from the Prog about 5-6 years ago (timing might be off there)

Tomwe

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 March, 2018, 01:25:22 PM

Yeah but that was 20 or more years ago and Anthoy Williams made a return in the 2000s and did a lot of work after David Bishop's time as editor. He disappeared from the Prog about 5-6 years ago (timing might be off there)

Ahh, well I'm glad to hear he made a return during my own wilderness years! (2000-2015)

James Stacey

Quote from: Woolly on 15 March, 2018, 07:08:21 PM
Just realised that Anthony Williams isn't exactly a new droid, so would like to fight for Nick Dyer Block.
His style and storytelling skills are awesome, more please!
Nick Dyers first toof work was 10 years ago this week so not that new either :D

Proudhuff

Never understood Tharg's dislike of Dode C's scrawls:

DDT did a job on me

Daveycandlish

Quote from: Proudhuff on 16 March, 2018, 01:56:03 PM

Love his work and I'd love to see more. How about some more of the Major for the next PARAGON? 
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Woolly

Quote from: James Stacey on 16 March, 2018, 01:45:44 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 15 March, 2018, 07:08:21 PM
Just realised that Anthony Williams isn't exactly a new droid, so would like to fight for Nick Dyer Block.
His style and storytelling skills are awesome, more please!
Nick Dyers first toof work was 10 years ago this week so not that new either :D

:o [spoiler]Fuckinell[/spoiler]! The years seem to be passing so quickly these days...
Anyway, what about that Bolland chap whose name I keep hearing? He any good?  ;)

Proudhuff

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 16 March, 2018, 07:32:51 PM

Love his work and I'd love to see more. How about some more of the Major for the next PARAGON?

I wish! two are written but the pencil monkey... he's in love!  :lol:
DDT did a job on me

Daveycandlish

I dunno - these art droids with their fancy artificial intelligence and emotions! 😀
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

DrJomster

Are we allowed to suggest possible new droids to add to the fold? Quite a few good candidates out there...

Ps.Nick Dyer, 10 years? Really? Oh my word. Still, more please and Tom Foster. And Jake Lynch. And Neil Googe.

I've got a list. And talking of pencil monkeys...
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

BPP

I thought AW did a great job on the VCs where his style really suited the vast emptiness of space and desolate unimportant rocks that people fought over. But man dear did he make SinDex near unreadable in that never-ending other Moses universe whatever saga. I think a lot of the apathy for the series came in that run.

The one I'd love to see take over Sin Dec, or get any gig with Tharg, is Fay Dalton.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Fungus

Quote from: Proudhuff on 16 March, 2018, 08:12:46 PM
Quote from: Daveycandlish on 16 March, 2018, 07:32:51 PM

I wish! two are written but the pencil monkey... he's in love!  :lol:

Nice one Dode if he's listening! Probably not!

Goosegash

Quote from: Woolly on 15 March, 2018, 07:01:29 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 15 March, 2018, 06:24:55 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 15 March, 2018, 06:12:58 PM
Being contrary,  I don't think we see half enough of many well-established art droids: I know lots have moved on to bigger things, or worse, left this mortal realm entirely,  but still,  could we not find more space for Andrew Currie and Neil Googe,  Jake Lynch and Nigel Dobbyn, Nick Dyer and John McCrea, not to mention the criminally underused genius of Chris Weston (no, the current Dredd is not enough). And where's my SMS SF epic?

I always liked Anthony Williams. He used to knock out pages of Sinister Dexter like there was no tomorrow then he just disappeared.

^This^

Anthony Williams is one of those droids whose work we've had the pleasure of seeing get better and better over the years, and by all accounts he's fast and dependable. Should be a mainstay in the prog, IMO.

And yeah, a 25 part SMS mega-space-epic please Tharg, if that's okay  :thumbsup:

Didn't Ron Smith have to give up working as he effectively went blind?

Other old blood I'd like to see back - Sean Thomas/Tom Carney(not sure which he goes by now), Simon Harrison, Adrian Salmon, Frazer Irving goes without saying.