Main Menu

Martin Emond, Artist, R.I.P.

Started by +rufus+, 16 March, 2004, 02:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

+rufus+

It is my immensely sad duty to inform everyone of the untimely death of my friend Martin Emond.
 Martin started out on Toxic! with Pat Mills' Accident Man, and did some painted Chopper stories for the Meg. With Gordon Rennie he did 'White Trash', which was recently reissued, and I think the themes in that comic of Rock, fun and frinendship capture the essence of Martin's character.
 Martin was working in LA and was about to start work on an animated series he had designed.
 My condolensces and love go out to all who knew him, he was one of our Artdroids.
Bye Martin,
your friend,
 Rufus Dayglo

stront692

thats terrible as i really liked some of the stuff that u mention and did used to pick up his work if i ever saw it while browsing :o(

ukdane

Oh my goodness!

He was a great artist, one of my favourites. His toxic artwork was great. I always wanted to read what happened in "The Missionary" from Toxic. White Trash remains a favourite of mine, as does Accident Man.  

My condolensces.
Cheers

-Daney

GordonR

My god, I'm seriously shocked by this.

Martin was one of the first artists I worked with, when we did White Trash together.  We also did a Punisher book for Marvel that unfortunately never saw the light of day. We became good friends, and kept in touch, even after he moved back to New Zealand.

Martin was a great artist, someone who could take an idea and make it 200% better by adding all sorts of crazy wild stuff of his own.  He never took to the comics industry after a few disheartening experiences with US publishers and dropped out of it, doing illustration work, running his own clothes deign line and, as Rufus said, animation projects.

The last time I heard from him, he was in a great mood, off to LA to work on one of these projects.  I was delighted that he was doing well, and am now very saddened to hear of his death.

stront692

he cant have been very old really???

thats is quite a shock

Jared Katooie

Sad news indeed.

Condolences to Martins friends and relatives.

Roger Langridge

Hey Gordon, I just tried to e-mail you about this but the address I had kept bouncing... guess you know already, though. I'm reeling somewhat, trying to take it in. We'd lost touch but I'd heard he was preparing to get married. Holy shit.

ukdane

If any one doesn't recognise Martin's artwork, here's a page of his artwork from The Missionary.http://www.2000ad.nu/callingtheshots/2000ad/themissi.jpg">
Cheers

-Daney

Matt

Tragic news. My sympathies go to the family and friends of Martin. I remember seeing his artwork for the first time on White Trash and loved its style. It always reminded me of a graffiti artist who'd landed a job in comics and wouldn't have looked out of place on the side of a subway train or adorning the bottom of a skateboard. How apt then that some of his final comic work should be for Chopper.http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/megazine/hires/2.36.jpg">

Cthulouis

that dead mans twist story is the only one of his ive read, and it left me thoughrally impressed.

sad news indeed

Matt Timson

Blimey- that's a bit of a shock.  Bloke couldn't have been much older than me- he might even be younger.

I don't know what to say really.  The fact that he was preparing for his wedding makes the news seem even more sad.

I don't normally post to threads like this, because I don't see the point unless you actually knew the person in question- but I think I'll make an exception today.  I liked his work and whenever it crops up, I always get a real sense of nostalgia for my lost youth and all that.  Moving out for the first time and living in Hendon- going to the London Cartoon Centre- reading 'Toxic' on a packed tube...

What a shame.
Pffft...

jock

that's terrible news.
condolences to all who new him.
Jock

GordonR

I've just remembered a really good Martin story.

He went to LA to show his stuff to movie production companies and almost straight away got hired to do design work on Alien 4, which is the kind of gig most comic artists spend their lives dreaming about.

Martin jacked it in after about two days, saying it was completely boring, and the ideas they wanted him to work on were shit.  I think he told them that, too.

That's the kind of guy he was, always tried to do what he wanted to do, just wanted to work on stuff that meant something to him, and never much interested in career-climbing or self-aggrandisment.

And then there was the time he told DC where they could stick it...

davidbishop

Bloody hell. This is for real? Shit. I loved what Martin did on that Chopper story for me, even if some readers at the time were a little non-plussed. Last time I saw Martin was at San Diego five or seven years ago, when he and the Biz were involved with Verotika.

My sincere condolences go to all his friends and family.

davidbishop

+rufus+

Yep, that sounds like Marty. He believed if you told someone the complete truth, how could they possibly hold it against.
Jaws would drop as Martin enlightened editors, producers etc. to his particular take on their suggestions or plans....usually 'naaaaah! that sucks man!'
Emond, heavy metal's finest diplomat!
And when he started work for Glenn Danzig, I was treated to heavy metal riffage 24/7. Being a little punk rocker, we constantly squabbled over his love of Guns n fuckin Roses and Iron Maiden...
The horror, the horror..