Main Menu

Netflix or equivalent? Recommendation please

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 10 January, 2015, 12:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'm thinking about getting one of these Internet telly services.

Any recommendations or warnings?

Is it a straight choice of Netflix or Amazon Prime?

Your help would be appreciated. I don't know any users other than my brother who has Netflix and says "it's okay"

Thanks
Lock up your spoons!

IndigoPrime

We have both Netflix and Amazon Prime at the moment, the latter on a trial. In terms of TV shows, they're much of a muchness. In terms of movies, they're both not terribly good, with the odd rare newish release and a lot of old crap. Both seem geared towards people who haven't watched a lot of the box-sets available on the services. As such, the Mrs and I really like Netflix, since we've barrelled through a ton of shows we'd always wanted to see but never got round to.

In terms of directly comparing the services, Netflix costs £83.88 per year and Amazon Prime is £79. The latter also gets you free next-day delivery for anything you order from Amazon. By contrast, Netflix's original series are, so far, in my opinion far better than Amazon's output. Additionally, Netflix offers subtitles/closed captioning (unlike Amazon UK, which is deplorable in this day and age), and it's pretty easy to access the Netflix catalogues of other countries using the likes of Tunnelbear.

Our Prime sub ends on Wednesday, but we won't be renewing, and will continue with Netflix. I'm trying to order less from Amazon anyway, and the subtitles thing just pissed me off. I'm pretty sure both have a month's free trial, though, so you may as well take advantage of those and see how the services work on whatever devices you're planning to use. (Here, Amazon Prime is a disaster on our new Samsung TV, but fine on the iPad and via AirPlay to the Apple TV. Netflix works fine on everything.)

The Enigmatic Dr X

Thanks. What is Tunnelbear?

Also, do you know if either has a device limit: can I use Netfilx on an Xbox, telly and Ipad?
Lock up your spoons!

hippynumber1

Personally, I'm a big fan of NowTV which is, in essence, access to Sky TV without having it all installed. You can buy whatever package you like on a month by month basis and drop out whenever you like. For example, I bought a movie pass for £9.99 on Christmas Eve, this allows access to Sky movies for one month with no limit on how many films you can watch - I've seen 15 so far and still have 2 weeks to go!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 10 January, 2015, 01:12:24 PMThanks. What is Tunnelbear?
It's a VPN. Essentially, it anonymises your web connection and can spoof your location. If you define your location as the USA, you get different Netflix content. This is against the terms and conditions, strictly speaking, but paying your seven quid a month is better than torrenting, I'd say.

QuoteAlso, do you know if either has a device limit: can I use Netfilx on an Xbox, telly and Ipad?
There's a simultaneous-use device limit, yes, and that depends on the plan you've chosen to buy. Mine is two devices and HD available. The more expensive plan allows for four screens and ultra HD. Note that there's no non-simultaneous device limit, so we have something like a half-dozen devices signed into Netflix, but usually only one accessing the service.

As hippynumber1 says, Now TV can also be a good option, and if you need it, the box itself is only a tenner and supports all terrestrial broadcast catch-up services when you've no subscription running.

wedgeski

We have both Netflix and Amazon at the moment. Honestly, I mostly have Amazon because the Prime 1-day delivery you get bundled with it is really useful, but it has had its moments.

Far and away, though, Netflix is the superior service. It's excellent value for money.

Old Tankie

Theblazeuk

Netflix is great. It's not a static service, things will come and go however. Sometimes it's on the ups, sometimes on the down. Amazon Prime seemed more static in many ways, though this may have been because it generally has *everything* - but only some of it falls within 'prime video' and doesn't require you to buy or rent it on top of the subscription fee.

Amazon Prime can be paid for monthly rather than annually but this means you only get the benefit of the streaming video and not the other benefits (1 day delivery etc).

I just bought a TV with a roku stick and stream Netflix et al via that.

radiator

We have Netflix, which is well worth whatever it is per month ($10?) - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, and now consider it an essential utility, like water and power  ;). We have access to the US version which is generally better than the UK, though the UK does have some exclusive stuff.

The selection of films is pretty decent, the TV pretty good, and they also have an excellent selection of documentaries (BBC Attenborough, Ken Burns etc) and they are really ramping up their original programming - Orange is the New Black is superb, and though we haven't got round to it yet, House of Cards seems very popular.

I've never used the Amazon service, though one thing in their favour is that they recently signed a deal with HBO, though I understand they will only be able to offer HBO shows 3 years after original broadcast. That's still a lot of great telly though - the lack of any HBO content is the one main drawback of Netflix.

We supplement this with Vudu, which is an a la carte service (the UK equivalent would be Blinkbox). We use this to rent new release films, or other films and TV shows that aren't available on Netflix.

We also currently have traditional cable, primarily for HBO Go and AMC, though this year with HBO finally launching their standalone app and Mad Men coming to an end we'll be cancelling our cable and going digital-only.

radiator

Also, Netflix have a whole slate of original Marvel TV shows (starting with Daredevil) coming soon if you like that sort of thing.

To counterbalance they just signed Adam Sandler to make a load if films for them so you have to take the rough with the smooth.