Main Menu

Never forget, the cat is evil

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 08 July, 2016, 09:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

I am a responsible parent.

Which is why I have just let my 11 year old watch the 18 certificate Alien.

Now, maybe he's a mature lad. Or maybe he's enured to sci-fi violence.

But - he was most disturbed by Jones the cat. He made the astute observation that the cat is responsible for at least two, maybe three, of the deaths. They all die trying to find or move the cat. Now, there are seven on the crewn. John Hurt and the robot are not killed by the alien, and Ripley survives.

So,...the cat is responsible for 60% of the deaths in Alien

Proof, if it was needed, that cats are evil.
Lock up your spoons!

Dandontdare

It's worth letting children watch inappropriate films for that bizarre insight (fuck the psychological damage)

Buttonman

I remember when my Mum let us get SS Experiment Camp for a teenage video party - it was censored to ribbons but even yet still had a topless woman crucified upside down on the cover. Go Mum!

As for the cat observation - Duh! They kill for fun!

Goaty

Well, I was 8, we get babysitter and she bring VHS of this film, and yes I get nightmares after that moment and it only PG film!

M.I.K.

Can't remember precisely what age I was when I first saw Alien, but I was definitely quite a bit younger than 11.

The main takeaway for me at the time was... as bad as it must be to deal with a terrifying slimy killer alien with two sets of razor-sharp teeth and acid for blood, it must be a hell of a lot worse trying to deal with one in just your vest and pants.

shaolin_monkey

My mum let me stay up to watch Alien when it first aired on UK telly. The bit that always stuck with me was Dallas trying to hunt it down in the air shaft tunnel things.

futureimperfect

I saw Terminator at a mates house when I was at primary school. Gave me nightmares for ages. I'm still scared of robots from future.

Tjm86

Quote from: Goaty on 08 July, 2016, 09:58:36 PM
Well, I was 8, we get babysitter and she bring VHS of this film, and yes I get nightmares after that moment and it only PG film!

I think this was one of the last films we went to see as a family.  My mam confused the title with Last Flight of Noah's Ark.  She still hasn't forgiven me!   ::)

JamesC

Watching age inappropriate films is part of growing up. And let's face it they're a lot more thrilling to watch when you know you're not supposed to.
I can remember renting Predator when I was in my school uniform. I just told the video shop bloke that my mum had said it was okay - no further proof needed!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

von Boom

I agree. That cat was the devil.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: von Boom on 09 July, 2016, 12:55:50 PM
I agree. That cat was the devil.

More proof about our 'cute' friends.

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Richard

QuoteJohn Hurt and the robot are not killed by the alien

John Hurt was totally killed by the alien. It's a baby, but it's the same alien.

I, Cosh

Ha ha! Completely wrong. As explained in this venerable thread, the cat was the only one on the ship with any sense.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

Well I grew up watching exploitation cinema, so i've kind of hardened to the fact Alien is a very tame, even 'healthy' horror movie to show to the kids.

Quote from: Buttonman on 08 July, 2016, 09:52:10 PM
I remember when my Mum let us get SS Experiment Camp for a teenage video party - it was censored to ribbons but even yet still had a topless woman crucified upside down on the cover. Go Mum!

And here's why!