Main Menu

Prog 1908 - Viper Strike

Started by hippynumber1, 15 November, 2014, 02:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

Can't believe I'm the first, this late in the day!

Everything is awesome this week and careering towards climaxes. Only weak link for me was Greysuit which, after a great start, has lost my interest.

Cracking Greg Staples cover!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I don't like Ichabod. Not a fan of fourth wall breaking self-indulgence. It didn't work for me with Stephen King's Dark Tower - of which Ichabod is very reminiscent - and it doesn't work for me here.
Lock up your spoons!

Darren Stephens

All thrills were on top form this week, and a Greg Staples cover and Death Advert to boot ;) Got a little confused in Stickleback as to what was going on with the dragon beheading sequence, but that might just be me!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Richard

Loved Judge Dredd massacring everyone.

Looking forward to Dark Justice.

Link Prime

Ace cover by Staples.
Was it used previously as a variant for an IDW Dredd comic?

dweezil2

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 November, 2014, 09:35:31 PM
Ace cover by Staples.
Was it used previously as a variant for an IDW Dredd comic?

Looks like the subscribers art print to me.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Link Prime

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Colin YNWA

Steady as she goes.

Everything okay as we all head towards conclusion. Well a couple of things aside.

1. Dredd read very like a section of a whole rather than a individual episode,  a chunk. Read back that won't be a problem and it was fine so I'm quibbling here. Its great stuff.

2. Greysuits as a part is fantastic just the whole isn't doing anything to interesting or new, as that no. 1 hippy type said, shame after such a good start.

3. Stickleback, is kinda losing me a bit, like Darren didn't get the whole head thing and I'm not sure if that's

• Me being daft
  • It not being clear
  • Me not caring anymore

The other two I can't find a quibble with from minor to major - they are 2000ad perfection and we must all bow before Ichabod and his regal name of lenght and breathe to try to encapsulate all that have ruled before him and Kingdom they are better than worthless scum like us deserve and we should count ourselves very very lucky.

ming

I liked seeing George Formby in Stickleback (appropriately leaning on a lampost, outside Mr Wu's laundry).  Brought to mind D'Israeli's old pic of Mecha-Formby vs. Godzilla, which is never a bad thing.

Spaceghost

The dragon in Stickleback was beheaded by one of the evil serpent-sisters coiling themselves 'round it's neck and squeezing 'til it's head popped off.

Lovely.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

judgerufian

Dredd just launched into it so much I thought I had missed an episode so agree with Colin_YNMA but its was such an action packed episode that it didnt give you a chance to pause for breath. Some fun perp killing from the master of the Law, the line 'Twenty of them and he's got them outnumbered' was a modern Dredd classic quote.

Ichabod was class, who is the mysterious stranger?

Add me to the readers who were a little confused by the art on Stickleback, I hope its not just me that misses a simple plain black line in D'Israeli's art, it looks great but so collage like that its easy to miss some of the action. Bet the original un-lettered pages are works of art!

Greysuit is losing me a little bit, if all the greysuits are as well trained as he is, why is he able to circumvent all their security measures so easily, would they have better countermeasures for this type of scenario? John Higgins art remains great thought the colours are strangely muted, makes the middle section od the prog feel very monochrome due to Stickleback and Ichabod on either side.

Kingdom blasts you with major colour though and it suits the story perfectly, some old school punching blood and guts and insect gore though this weeks hopefully isnt setting up the demise of Gene as he has to activate the bomb spear by hand (which better be bloody powerful to work on that mountain sized 'them'). A great strip.

Still firing on all cylinders all things considered and a top read, well done Tharg and droids.

Frank

Quote from: judgerufian on 17 November, 2014, 02:22:46 PM
Ichabod was class, who is the mysterious stranger?

He's the leader of Four Horsemen in a story about the end of the world, so it's really impossible to tell. Meanwhile, the person responsible for the panel borders is revealed to be none other than Dan Abnett:

Bolt-01

Has no-one else picked up on Carlos' massive name-check in the prog this week?

I know the boarder will be very proud of that page...