Main Menu

Is the use of a judge's image on a window a crime, creep?

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 04 December, 2014, 04:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I got a commission to paint Christmas scenes on a pub window in Dublin, though the guy asked for something a bit sci-fi. I'd like to spread the word of thrill power by painting a festive Dredd scene (crediting Rebellion and 2000ad on the window, of course) but don't want to step on the toes of Tharg and his legal droids.  Would I be breaking copyright laws if I do it?  I just really like the idea of a large Dredd image in the city centre, even if it's only for the Christmas period.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Ghost MacRoth

I sincerely hope that all at Rebellion see this for what it is, and give you their full backing!  Spread the Dredd!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

TordelBack

ZenArcade

Hopefully no bah humbug from Rebellion on this Jayzus. Can't wait to see the completed pic....might even take a run down to Blackpool to see it. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Banners

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks, guys, think I'm going to give it a shot so. Painting  on the inside means I'm going to have to make a special effort to get the eagle on the right shoulder
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

judgerufian

do your image on a sheet of tracing paper or similar in boldblack lines, turn the piece of paper over, stick it up on the window up to the light so you can see through and hey presto, everythings on the correct side when you look at it outside!

Dash Decent

That's a great idea, but would you need to turn it around if you paste it on the outside of the window?  Then you'd be standing "behind" it inside, so it looks right when viewed from the outside.  (Eh?)
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

judgerufian

Quote from: Dash Decent on 05 December, 2014, 11:01:28 AM
That's a great idea, but would you need to turn it around if you paste it on the outside of the window?  Then you'd be standing "behind" it inside, so it looks right when viewed from the outside.  (Eh?)

completely confused now  :D

JayzusB.Christ

I know what you mean.  But me, I just do it freehand - it's a big window and it would take time and money to make such a big print on tracing paper.

Dandontdare

Find one of the cosplay judges, ask them to adopt a suitably dramatic post and sellotape him to the outside of the window - Bob's your uncle!

JayzusB.Christ

Hmmm.... Mr Burdis?  How about a free trip to Ireland?

Darren Stephens

What abhreat idea. Love to see the finished work, Jayzus.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

ZenArcade

You don't need CF we have our very own Judge Russell up in Belfast only an hour away by train or 30 mins by law master. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

judgerussell