Main Menu

Sandman coming to Audible in July

Started by rogue69, 13 May, 2020, 10:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

James McAvoy has been cast as Dream in Audible's new version of DC's Sandman comic

The Audible drama will debut July 15 and adapts the first three volumes Preludes & Nocturnes, The Doll's House and Dream Country. It has been adapted and directed by Dirk Maggs known for his work on things like the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and the Radio1 audio versions of Judge Dredd

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-mcavoy-lead-sandman-audible-drama-1294222

I, Cosh

We never really die.

rogue69

Don't known but  Neil Gaiman is narrating and the cast includes Justin Vivian Bond as Desire, Kat Dennings as Death, Miriam Margolyes as Despair and Michael Sheen as Lucifer. The cast also includes Riz Ahmed, Arthur Darvill, Taron Egerton, William Hope, Josie Lawrence,Samantha Morton, Bebe Neuwirth and Andy Serkis

von Boom

sheridan

Oh - "as the Siamese Cat" means they're going to cover Dream of a Thousand Cats!

von Boom

Not sure of Kat Dennings as Death. I find her voice rather abrasive and I always hear Death as a smooth contralto.

karlos

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: rogue69 on 13 May, 2020, 10:21:17 PM
Audible's new version of DC's Sandman comic

Fantastic news — I've been having trouble sleeping lately.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: von Boom on 14 May, 2020, 03:05:32 PM
Not sure of Kat Dennings as Death. I find her voice rather abrasive and I always hear Death as a smooth contralto.

Myself I've only heard of thirteen of the names in the cast, and Dennings isn't one of them.  Also John McCrea is probably not going to be the one who does work for Tharg every now and then...

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 May, 2020, 04:00:43 PM
Quote from: rogue69 on 13 May, 2020, 10:21:17 PM
Audible's new version of DC's Sandman comic

Fantastic news — I've been having trouble sleeping lately.

Well let's face it, on current evidence it probably isn't Death that they have in that glass cage up at Wych Cross...

I came here to pointlessly say that I've never seen the point of an audio version of a comic,  but that really is a fascinating cast, even if some of it seems based on physical appearance rather than voice alone, which I always find a bit patronising.

But at least Michael Sheen gets to play on the other team!

von Boom

Quote from: sheridan on 14 May, 2020, 04:14:12 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 14 May, 2020, 03:05:32 PM

Myself I've only heard of thirteen of the names in the cast, and Dennings isn't one of them.  Also John McCrea is probably not going to be the one who does work for Tharg every now and then...
She was in the first (two?) Thor film.

rogue69

QuoteAlso John McCrea is probably not going to be the one who does work for Tharg every now and then...

He's mainly worked in the theatre and is probably best known for playing the lead in "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" and he was in the movie "God's Own Country"   

karlos

rogue69

I have only listened to a couple chapters so far but It's works quite well the storylines have not been changed too much like with most audios you have to get used to the voices not being the same as when you read it. The only thing they got wrong in my opinion is having Neil Gaiman as the narrator his vocal tone just does not fit in with the actors.

there is a sample of the audio on the Audible website
https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/The-Sandman-Audiobook/B086WQCVVG?qid=1595169389&sr=1-1&ref=a_search_c3_lProduct_1_1&pf_rd_p=c6e316b8-14da-418d-8f91-b3cad83c5183&pf_rd_r=20P94V6PN9E6JG821HVA

Dandontdare

That's a fascinating and impressive cast, and Dirk Maggs is a safe pair of hands. Lots of big names in the top half, and a few interesting ones in the bottom.

Nice to see Toby "Judge Dredd" Longworth and Sandra "Trillian" Dickinson. Samantha Morton gets to work with Cathy Tyson again after many years, and oddly, topical songwriter/comedian Mitch Benn is in there. You can always count on a bit of nepotism in the lower orders too, so I'm guessing Theo Maggs is no coincidence.