Main Menu

Kurt Russel for Dredd???

Started by Buddy, 19 July, 2003, 07:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Watched 'Soldier' on C5 tonight (well I say watched, I actually caught snipetts of it while trying to get my son to go to bed), and althought it's more a Rogue Trooper thing Russel's screen persona could translate well to Dredd, mean badass mofo only speaking when totally necessary, and absoloutly takin no shit!!!

Never really considered him as a Dredd before (Perlman gets my vote every time) but I think he could do a good job.

Bo Selecta!!!

paulvonscott

I think we could have fun with Russel and that Soldier movie while being pretty awful in some parts, was good in others.  Nearest thing to a Rogue movie we may ever see.  More importantly it must have been made for the same sort of budget as the dredd films or less.  It's not a big movie.  So they could afford him.

Hell, we could have fun with Russel.  He does cool mean deadpan humour very very well.  I.e. not like Stallone or Arnie where it's forced and we don't want an entirely lifeless Dredd.

I tend to keep forgeting about Russel, then get reminded every now and again.  And although he may be getting on a bit (52, that's okay) he still has a popular fan base amongst the SF/Action/Horror crowd having created the iconic Snake Pliscan (imagine someone as mean as Dredd, but with only one eye), was fantastic in the Thing and could shoot straight in Tombstone.

Misanthrope

See, now thats what always annoyed me about the makers of the first film. They reckoned that Dredd couldn't be an anti-hero because no one likes anti-heroes. Yet Kurt Russell does the anti-hero thing to a tee, Snake Pliskin being his best example.
Thats why I think the Dredd in these films should be a bastard, plain and simple. The same way the supporting cast of Soldier carried Kurt Russell, the supporting cast of the Dredd films could be utilised in the same way, i.e Dredd doesn't say a lot, the rest of the cast do it for him.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Richmond Clements

Also, Kurt has a degree of acting talent which is lacking in an actor like, say, Stallone.

dweezil2

Couldn't agree with you more. I found his performance in Breakdown, to be something of a revelation.Yet it's easy to forget, that he cut his serious acting teeth on gritty drama like Silkwood. Any one seen Dark Blue yet It's set around the time of the L.A. riots, and according to critics, is one of Russell's best performances.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Devons Daddy

he would add weight to the project. i would not see him as dredd, but in there somewhere.

ron perlman has the look though.but the way things are going . we could not afford him anymore.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Richmond Clements

Yeah, what about actors for other parts in the movie?

Here's me vote for Anderson:http://www.emilyprocter.com/images/HeadshotDec2001BW.JPG">

Buddy

I could go with that... Who is she?

I once heard a rumour that Maria Sorvino (sp??) was gonna be Anderson, I doubt if Shoreline could afford her.

Richmond Clements

She is Emily Proctor, from CSI Miami.

W. R. Logan

Art

Hey, the opening montage to Soldier is tops. The bit where Junior Kurt has to raise a dog and the kill it to prove his badassness, oh when hes fighting in various wars for about 10seconds each including fighting on the moon... ace!

judge dreddd

she would make a great anderson !

look, lets get real,, its going to be jean reno, its going to be an above average budget tv movie... the important thing is that its economically viable...that way you get a steady increase in merchandise sales... more follow up films etc.!

build up the following then mr hollywood says 'hey, lets make a big budget version guys'...

small steps

Proudhuff

Snake Pliscan ? I thought he was dead.

For once an actor who could carry off playing Dredd, Yip its kurt for me.

Samual L Jackson for Judge Giant

Roy Barraclough for Judge 'Hoover' Edgar

What about the council of five?

Huffy B-)

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/balance/179/roy.gif">
DDT did a job on me

La Mer

when are you guy sgonna learn? it's clint esatwood all the way for dredd, a la' deadman/necropolis.
giant - ving rhames (marcellus wallace)
anderson - nicole kidman (please!!)
you know it makes sense.,....

Matt Timson

Pffft...