Main Menu

Stories we like which are now completely forgotten

Started by Wood, 11 December, 2001, 12:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wood

Today, I want to talk about Zippy Couriers, since I was the only person in the world who thought it was brilliant.

I maintain that it was good because it had a fairly original premise, a cat, great dialogue, a cat, lovely artwork (reminiscent of Mick Austin... although Austin's one of my unsung favourites as well), a cat, and absolutely no violence.  

Even my wife enjoys it.

In fact, it's probably the lack of violence that did for it. Maybe it would have been much better in another comic... it was sort of similar to a lot of stuff that was being done in Deadline about that time...

Anybodyelse want to respond or push their own favourite unsung thrills?

Jayzus B. Christ

What about Milligan and McCarthy's one-page-a-week 80's freakshow, Sooner or Later? I loved that, even though I've hardly seen it mentioned in years. I wish 2000AD would do more stuff like Sooner or Later, because the whole comic seems to have gotten a bit formulaic these days.

Wood

Oh yeah. Sooner or Later was excellent. We need more stuff with quirks.

I think you're right, there's been too much playing safe in recent years. Let's have some experimentation.

Tu-plang

Now that Milligan is back for Bad Company we could get him to do some more insanity , perhaps with Hewlett again.  However, I'd settle for some psycho-fantasy by milligan and irving.

Jayzus B. Christ

Another Milligan story I liked was one that is so forgotten about that Ive forgotten its name myself. I think it was called Ghosts, though. It was a kind of 1984 for the Thatcher generation, about some girl whose whole identity is robbed by the government. I dont know the characters' names or who drew it.

Thread Zero

Jayzus,
With a name like that you should start a religion!

The story was called Shadows.

Main character was called Nina.

Art by Richard Elson.

Story ran for ten parts from prog 672 March 31st 1990 to prog 681 June 2nd 1990.

scojo the boring

Thread Zero

Pete Milligan also wrote Freaks and Tribal Memories.

They were both about prejudice. Tribal Memories was rather good I thought.

scojo

Jayzus B. Christ

Nice one for clearing up the Shadows thingy - And yeah, Tribal Memories was excellent. Freaks was a bit ropey, though.

steev.

to be honest,i can't remember zippy couriers too well,
but i really like the idea of the story,and
i think it would be good if this sort of thing
could feature in 2000ad,actually i think i liked
the art too.

cheers...