Main Menu

Terror / Total War vs Judge Child - Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! H2H Rd 6

Started by Colin YNWA, 31 March, 2021, 06:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Opposite ends of the spectrum in many ways these two. Seed 11 an imagination spanning flight of fantasy across multiple landscapes and mindscapes, but how well does it hand together? 6th seed is a tight grounded (well as anything in Dredd is!) action thriller. Deeply set in the world of police action and terrorism... but terriorists opposed to the system that crushes their humanity?

Seed 6 Terror / Total War Progs 1392-1399, 1407-1422

Vs

Seed 11 Judge Child - Progs 156 - 181

Back to the simple purity of popping the name of the Epic you prefer in a reply to this thread (remember to mark it clearly so I can spot it - bold tags are good) and then say whatever the heck you like to about these two great stories.

We're also back to 3 day votes so this one will close first thing in the morning Saturday 3rd of April - winner advance to the Quarter Finals - loser goes into the 16th - 9th playoff vote.

All links go through to AlexF's simply brilliant Dredd Epics Ranked blog. You may need to scroll to find his write up of a particular story - but I'd suggest just reading the whole thing anyway - it's fantastic stuff.

Baffled by what's going on here - well we have a a thread for that - though that might leave you more confused than anything.

Rules for what they are worth.

Not sure about anything just ask and I'll blag it.

BPP

Damm, was going to put the terror / total war as a brilliant 1-2 punch of MacNeil downbeat humanity and Flint mental city destruction but then the judge child is the angel gang and moustaches and Hershey and all that so.... dang... I dunno..

Let me get back to you Colin.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

The Judge Child had the holy trinity of Bolland, McMahon and Smith, and the introduction of the Angel Gang. But the tenseness and the Judge's absolute certainty they have to remain in control of the city, Dredd's terse relationship with his family, MacNeil and Flint at the top of their game, including three full-pages by Flint of the same scene at different stages of destruction, mean my vote goes to Terror/Total War.

Magnetica

Terror / Total War is just great, but it's the Judge Child for me. Not just my favourite Dredd epic, but possibly my favourite story in any comic ever.

AlexF

If it was just Total War I'd go with Judge Child, no question. The art in there is CRAZY GOOD. But Terror is something really special...

I'm going with the nostalgia pick, which for me isn't the Judge Child, because I only read it years later after getting the back progs. Total War I vividly remember reading week to week on the edge of my seat, John Wagner strutting his cliffhangers and suspense skills like it was no big deal.

WhizzBang

The Judge Child gave us Owen Chrysler, The Angel Gang, Hershey, Justice 1, Bio-chips, a glimpse of Texas City, and that Bolland cover where Lopez is strapped down on a table and tripping.

Terror/Total War gives us the Total War terrorist group and a 'find the bombs' story, which I am sure had been done before at least once.

So, my vote goes to The Judge Child.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

judge child.
not only for huge nostalgic reasons, but also for three artists at the top of their game, a series of legendary covers, and all that dredd moustache resentment weirdness.

Barrington Boots

If I've read Terror / Total War then I can't remember it - which makes me think I haven't, from the glowing terms on this thread. I have read The Judge Child and whilst a lot of it is quite clunky it's full of incredible ideas so that's where I'm voting.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

JayzusB.Christ

I'm not a huge fan of the 'quirky things in space' type of Dredd - the city's mad enough to do me.  So Terror / Total War for me.  Also it shows the Judges doing bastardly things again to counterbalance their acts of heroism; they've got a bit caring and sharing for me of late.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

The Judge Child for me was a fragmented episodic mess when I first read it, and it's not grown on me. Terror/Total War is superb and coherent comics, so that wins it for me.

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Link Prime