Main Menu

PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 October, 2017, 06:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: Steve Green on 30 January, 2018, 12:34:23 PM
I'll have to rewatch - [spoiler]I could have sworn there was something about him reappearing somewhere else[/spoiler]

That was Mirror him waking up from his coma after normal him sorted stuff out where they were stuck, and got normal him out too.
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

blackmocco

Quote from: Steve Green on 30 January, 2018, 12:34:23 PM
I'll have to rewatch - [spoiler]I could have sworn there was something about him reappearing somewhere else[/spoiler]

Both Stamets were in a comatose state. When Prime Stamets "found his way home", we see MU Stamets waking in the Charon's med bay. What's confusing is they show him waking first and saying something like "he did it!" before we see the same thing on Discovery. The show whips by very fast. I have to watch it all twice. It's like Hannibal all over again!
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Steve Green

Yeah, it felt a bit odd - not sure if it was intentional or not, but thought they were going somewhere with it.

Leigh S

I did read it as "noraml universe" Stamets waking up in his Mirror counterparts body, too.

blackmocco

Yeah, just a bit sloppily edited, I reckon. Would have made more sense to show us Discovery's Stamets waking first.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Theblazeuk

Glad I wasn't the only one - kept thinking "Well, Stammet's prime is playing a very long and strange game here."

[spoiler]My personal theory on all this is Lorca swapped places with his 'prime' version, the guy with the Starfleet career that he could step into and start to exploit. Otherwise he was proper busy! Even managing to get a backstory with the Admiral.[/spoiler]

Mardroid

Yes, it was the [spoiler]Prime universe Lorca who had the relationship with the Admiral. There's a scene where the Admiral reminisces with him. She mentions something which he does not remember. In that episode it just seemed that his memory was patchy, or an indicator that he has other priorities, but in hindsight its a clue that he doesn't remember because... it wasn't him who experienced it.

Much as I wish I'd noticed that myself, I confess it was pointed out in the After Trek show that follows the programme. (Yes I'm one of those sad cases who watches those . while it involves a lot of inter cast/production team botty kissing it does have some interesting stuff.)[/spoiler]

Steve Green

Interesting.

[spoiler]I wondered where it might go after killing off Lorca, but hadn't considered that Prime Lorca might still be knocking around somewhere, and could make for some interesting dynamics with the crew, in light of his mirror counterpart's actions[/spoiler]

JamesC

I thought Prime Lorca was dead because he transported into the mirror ship in the ion cloud as it was destroyed (mirror Lorca's transporter signal got swapped with Prime Lorca's, so PL transported to the mirror ship at the point of destruction while ML transported to the prime universe).
Did I get that wrong?

Steve Green

[spoiler]You're probably right, although I do wonder if either of them might linger around the network.

With the Klingon's having 'won' I've no idea where it might be going other than a time-travel/reset button -
maybe even back to the initial Lorca switch[/spoiler]

blackmocco

[spoiler]Seeing as we now know Discovery can travel through alternate realities and time via the blippity bloppity network thingy, and noting we've just two episodes left for them to repair their current timeline (assuming they don't end on a cliffhanger), I wonder if that's going to be the basis for her future explorations/seasons...? Certainly more interesting than just flying around the Prime Universe. Or perhaps they'll be lost trying to find their way back to their proper reality and time. Like Voyager but not (mostly) boring...? [/spoiler]

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Tiplodocus

[spoiler]Regarding Lorca prime, I think the adage applies:
If you didn't see the body or see them die onscreen then don't assume they are dead.[/spoiler]

Nice to see some tactics with containment shields used in the firefights. Not many... but It's a start.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Much quieter episode tonight with emotional resolutions and precious little action or threat. But continues to get more like Trek.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

Yeah, even I'm starting to enjoy it. That scene with Tyler in the mess hall - that, right there, is what Trek is all about for me.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]