Main Menu

Netflix buys Millarworld

Started by Smith, 07 August, 2017, 04:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

I'd rather 2000AD was owned by someone who respects and is interested in the comic. Someone like Rebellion, in fact.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: jacob g on 09 August, 2017, 12:48:07 PM
I never liked Millar work, but one thing about this makes me happy. Millar created all his creator owned books with artists I like and admire, and this means more money for them for work well done, so... It's kind of great news.

I'm likewise not what you'd call a Millar fan but I think it's also worth noting that ever since he went down the creator-owned route, he's offered his artists a very equitable deal. If you take a moment to look in the legal/copyright blurb of a great many 'creator-owned' books, you'll find that they really mean 'writer-owned' and everyone else, artists included, is on a work-for-hire contract, with no share at all in the product.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Magnetica

:-*
Quote from: Tarantino on 10 August, 2017, 08:55:49 AM
Who's up for Rebellion selling 2000AD to Netflix, the potential for films, TV series and animated shows would be limitless.

Go on Rebellion, sell 😀

Tarantino

I guess we will have to wait and see how Netflix buying Millarworld affects their comics, but as far as 2000AD is concerned what I want is a weekly Prog, monthly Meg and good range of GNs. Which is what we have got. For me the comic is the main thing. Any film or TV series is a bonus, but not if it were to impact negatively on the comics. I wouldn't want 2000AD exist only to serve a large corporate TV series production.

As someone said in I think Future Shock (possibly Kev O'Neill) "you think you want 2000AD to be mainstream, but you don't as it would then have mainstream content" (or something like that).

So it would all depend on how they would treat the comics side of it for me. Anyway it's never going to happen, is it?

Smith

Quote from: Tarantino on 10 August, 2017, 08:55:49 AM
Who's up for Rebellion selling 2000AD to Netflix, the potential for films, TV series and animated shows would be limitless.

Go on Rebellion, sell 😀

Tarantino
Don't even joke with that.

Tarantino

I want it to happen, in fact if I win the Euromillions I'm going to make a Rebellion an offer they can't refuse and then sell 2000AD to Netflix for a penny, just so that make a Nikolai Dante TV series, or ABC Warriors.

Tarantino

ming

Quote from: Tarantino on 10 August, 2017, 01:48:41 PM
I want it to happen, in fact if I win the Euromillions I'm going to make a Rebellion an offer they can't refuse and then sell 2000AD to Netflix for a penny, just so that make a Nikolai Dante TV series, or ABC Warriors.

Tarantino

In that case I take some comfort in the fact that the odds of you winning the jackpot are 1 in 139,838,160.

Bolt-01

Tarantino- That is a terrible idea.

James Stacey

That's the worst idea since new coke  :lol:

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: ming on 10 August, 2017, 02:11:48 PM
In that case I take some comfort in the fact that the odds of you winning the jackpot are 1 in 139,838,160.

Never tell him the odds!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Will Cooling

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 August, 2017, 05:45:53 PM
Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 07 August, 2017, 05:39:57 PM
I hope that Millar enjoys the fortune he's managed to obtain, and that Netflix learns quickly from this terrible mistake.

I dunno man, Millar may not be my cup of scripting, but aside from his direct Hollywood successes, there's a good argument don't that the whole MCU stems from his Ultimates work. Might not be such a crazy idea for Netflix to give him a spin.

Did it hell. Not a single character in the MCU is like how he scripted in Ultimates. Look at his most radical updates. Is Captain America a hard-right Republican? No. Is HULK sex-crazed. No. Is Thor a new age hippy. No. Where Ultimates has influence is Bryan Hitch's art i.e. changes to Cap's costume and having Nick Fury be Sam Jackson. But Millar's influence is grossly overstated.
Formerly WIll@The Nexus

Smith

Iron Man is an alcoholic(as opposed to 616 Iron Man who is a former alcoholic*),so there is that.

Last time I checked,around '08-09,so who knows what changed since then.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Frank on 07 August, 2017, 06:24:17 PM
QuoteMr Millar said it was only the third time in history that a company book company purchase on this scale had happened, with Warner Bros buying DC Comics in 1968, and Disney buying Marvel in 2009

Bitch, please. Rebellion buying Whizzer & Chips was a bigger deal.*

* ...and IPC to Mirror Group was definitely an even bigger deal than the lucrative Wanted franchise changing hands

I can think of a few far larger comic buy outs from non-comic companies (which is what I assume the quote is about, as its a bit garbled). Disney buying Crossgen. And Rebellion buying 2000 AD.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

TordelBack

Quote from: Will Cooling on 10 August, 2017, 04:51:15 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 07 August, 2017, 05:45:53 PM
Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 07 August, 2017, 05:39:57 PM
I hope that Millar enjoys the fortune he's managed to obtain, and that Netflix learns quickly from this terrible mistake.

I dunno man, Millar may not be my cup of scripting, but aside from his direct Hollywood successes, there's a good argument don't that the whole MCU stems from his Ultimates work. Might not be such a crazy idea for Netflix to give him a spin.

Did it hell. Not a single character in the MCU is like how he scripted in Ultimates. Look at his most radical updates. Is Captain America a hard-right Republican? No. Is HULK sex-crazed. No. Is Thor a new age hippy. No. Where Ultimates has influence is Bryan Hitch's art i.e. changes to Cap's costume and having Nick Fury be Sam Jackson. But Millar's influence is grossly overstated.

I concede your point about Hitch, and how to your greater knowledge: my Ultimates data comes from one read of the first couple of TPBs in the library. I saw a Shield agent Hawkeye, Sam Jackson Fury assembling a dysfunctional team, and a dissolute Stark. I appreciate those are superficial, in my defence so was my reading: presumably it's more a case of two similar approaches to the same 'modern origin' problem.