Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

Anyone who would mock a guide dog, or the person its helping, is a [spoiler]cnut[/spoiler].
Yer missus has my support (even though I doubt I will ever see the program...  :-\)

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 02 July, 2017, 09:18:00 PM
I cant really put this under the drokking fantastic thread or even in the black dog thread so i'm chalking it up as a minor victory.

As of yesterday i've been 20 months clean and clear of self harm of any physical form.

Well I spoke too soon...

The Legendary Shark

Sorry to hear that, Hawkie. Don't feel too down, though - we're only human and none of us is perfect. 20 strong months is still a great achievement, one that cannot be erased by a single poor day. XXX.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 15 July, 2017, 12:33:27 PM
Well I spoke too soon...

Hence this at the time ...

Quote from: Tjm86 on 03 July, 2017, 10:50:51 AM
I would only add one thing, if the worst should happen and you have a minor stumble then be compassionate with yourself. 

From personal experience this is not surprising.  It happens.  Focus on the fact that this is the first in 20 months.  I hope it isn't the case but there may be a few more stumbles over the next few days / weeks.  Then things settle down again.  I always found that the post event guilt was the bigger problem.

Was it John Wooden who said that it is not how many times you get knocked down but how many times you pick yourself up that matters?  So long as the latter is more than the former we make it.  We just need to remember that after the fact.  Then the months turn into years, turn into faded memories ....

You aren't on your own pal, loads of folks here rooting for you.  Keep that in mind.

Woolly

Quote from: Tjm86 on 15 July, 2017, 01:13:55 PM
...it is not how many times you get knocked down but how many times you pick yourself up that matters.  So long as the latter is more than the former we make it.  We just need to remember that after the fact.  Then the months turn into years, turn into faded memories ....

You aren't on your own pal, loads of folks here rooting for you.  Keep that in mind.

^This^

I'm not going to pretend that I've got a magic answer for you, just know that Tjm86 is right when he says we're rooting for you.
Here's to the next 20 months* free.

*(and hopefully more!)

Theblazeuk

Moving up to Hebden Bridge this weekend. Bittersweet in the circumstances but where we've always wanted to move to - and I'm looking forward to being finished will all this packing bullshit.

Dandontdare

I got a Cliff Robinson Dredd T-shirt in the office Secret Santa!

PS TheBlaze - how you enjoying Hebden? I was up there a couple of weekends ago for a gig at the Trades Club - one of my favourite music venues ever.

Theblazeuk

Alot of adjusting to do after 4 years of living in Richmond Upon Thames (I hate those 1980s pacer trains when I have to go to the office in Salford!) but it's nice. Be nicer still if the weather was dryer but that time of year ;)

Still need to go to the trades, still need to try and get some local RPG/Boardgaming going. But got the prog ordered in at 2Tone comics, and got a puppy who I took for a walk up Hardcastle Craggs, so pretty nice. He even came with us to Cafe Solo and behaved pretty well. So far the major activity in town is going to the picture house, which is a truly lovely venue to see Paddington 2 in (and got to see Taika Watiti's Boy there as well, a movie I probably wouldn't have seen otherwise). Wish the wife drank so I could spend some time in the pubs and Drink  :D

Dandontdare

Glad to hear the comic shop is open again - it closed down after the floods a few years back and didn't look like it was ever coming back.

I often refer to HB as "Chorlton in the country" after the equally sandal-wearing, tofu-eating guardianista area of Manchester - the newsagent opposite the shoulder of Mutton has more copies of the Saturday Guardian than I've ever seen in one place (plus a few token Mails and Telegraphs)!

I also work in Salford (the Quays) so drop me a PM if you ever want to gab about comics over a pint after work.

Theblazeuk

That's exactly where I work, Dock House. You're not at the beeb are you?

TordelBack

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 21 December, 2017, 12:22:46 PM
That's exactly where I work, Dock House. You're not at the beeb are you?

I wonder will this turn into a comics nerd version of The Lake House.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Theblazeuk

I had a 2 hour conversation with someone about the new star wars just making tea the other day, so plenty of nerds of all stripes over there :P (License fee blah blah)

Dandontdare

I'm down the other end of that quay at Bupa (though we're moving to our new building almost next door to yours in the new year). A lot of overpriced wanky bars around there, but I quite like the Dockyard

sheridan

Quote from: Goaty on 12 July, 2017, 07:21:42 PM
Bit worried for my wife as she will be featured in the bitchy programme Spa Wars tonight. As they would mock about her guide dog :(
Bit of a delayed reaction - I've never heard of Spa Wars - sounds like a good reason not to have a TV (which I don't) - how did it go?