Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Steve Green

Dark Jimbo

The talk on this thread has really got me confused - is the Shamballa book worth getting or not? How bad can the story be?! I've not read much Anderson stuff so this would all be new to me, but it's got to be worth it for the artwork alone, surely...?

As to the Mandroid book... well, I'm glad the're padding it out with extra stuff of course and it'd be churlish to complain about that, but I remember finding that Atlantis story really dull and forgettable.
@jamesfeistdraws

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 16 February, 2015, 06:59:27 PM
The talk on this thread has really got me confused - is the Shamballa book worth getting or not? How bad can the story be?! I've not read much Anderson stuff so this would all be new to me, but it's got to be worth it for the artwork alone, surely...?
Eh? Shamballa is fantastic.

The decision to include R*Volution and not Something Wicked is a bit weird though.
We never really die.

Steve Green

Shamballa is a great story - I just think it's one (like the Apocalypse War) that people may already have bought several times already.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Cosh on 16 February, 2015, 07:03:51 PM

Well I thought it was an acknowledged classic until this thread, which distinctly gave the opposite impression!
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Quote from: Steve Green on 16 February, 2015, 07:04:43 PM
Shamballa is a great story - I just think it's one (like the Apocalypse War) that people may already have bought several times already.

Yeah, that's the thing - I have bought it 3 times now, that's how much I like it. But 4?  Well, seeing as I've never read a chunk of the backup material, but can visualise all the lovely art, maybe!

That Mandroid volume will definitely be mine, however.

ZenArcade

As I've said before Shambala and Satan are utter classics. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

mimikeke

Quote from: Steve Green on 16 February, 2015, 07:04:43 PM

Hey, if anyone wants to gift someone one of these several copies...and maybe pay the exorbitant shipping to the states...

:D :D :D :D

I, Cosh

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 16 February, 2015, 07:12:31 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 16 February, 2015, 07:03:51 PM
Well I thought it was an acknowledged classic until this thread, which distinctly gave the opposite impression!
There's some strange people around.

If you really haven't read any early Anderson (and, given your Dredd timelines I'm astounded) then you'd be much better served reading Psi Files 1 first. It's not essential continuity or anything but there's a general drift towards it. Shamballa actually fits in just before the last story in that first volume but they, sensibly, decided to save it for the first all-colour volume.
We never really die.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Cosh on 16 February, 2015, 11:50:57 PM
If you really haven't read any early Anderson (and, given your Dredd timelines I'm astounded)...

Genuinely not! I've read most Anderson stories from R*evolution/Half Life onwards but nothing earlier, apart from her Dredd appearences. Always intended to pick up the Psi Files but never got around to it.
@jamesfeistdraws

Apestrife

What if they'd make an Anderson/Orlock book? Hour of the wolf, Triad, Childhoods end and Postcards from the edge (the Orlock pages.). A good idea? Any ideas how many pages would that be?

IronGraham

Hope we get the low life story not yet reprinted
We're werewolves not swearwolves

COMMANDO FORCES

There are at least 23 copies of the latest issue in my local Smith's and I only bought the extra one this time.

Magnetica

I popped into a local Newsagent today to see if they had it...they didn't and the shop keeper asked me what I was looking for. I told him, but it meant nothing to him. He then asked me to write it down, which I did, so may be he will start ordering it. You never know.

I then checked out one of the two Co-Ops on the same street, and low and behold they did have it - it was on the bottom shelf lying down...very difficult to see. In fact I am amazed I spotted it. They had a number of copies of America, Mechanismo and the The Apocalypse War. Now I said I would pick and choose and found it very difficult to resist buying the Apocalypse War. I even went back in later to get some bread after a day out with the kids and was still thinking about getting it.